COLD DARK ROOM

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pflugerville, Texas
Shakespeare wrote plays. They’re not for reading. They’re not designed to be read. Unfortunately, in the UK at least, they have to be studied for mandatory public exams and thus are ruined for many.

As an adult, I have seen many of them performed and it opens your eyes to a new world of humour, tragedy, romance, etc. I never realised there were funny bits in Romeo and Juliet which I had to study at school until I saw it performed. The Merry Wives of Windsor is hilarious.

As for classic novels, all authors are different regardless of era. And some authors write a blockbuster and some awful stuff.

Read Jane Eyre and you realise it’s the original romantic fiction plot you see played out on tv and soap operas even now. That’s the only book I studied at school that I have, and will again, reread.

The poets passed me by. Dickens isn’t to my taste. James Joyce is worse. I enjoy some of EM Forster...

I agree I do not like to read plays. Boring. I read a lot, yes with my cheater glasses now that my eyes are old. Only my body is old. I do like poetry. I like Dylan Thomas, Maya Angelou, Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, and Shel Silverstein are some of my favorites. I like humor and a passion for life.

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Brenda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree I do not like to read plays. Boring. I read a lot, yes with my cheater glasses now that my eyes are old. Only my body is old. I do like poetry. I like Dylan Thomas, Maya Angelou, Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, and Shel Silverstein are some of my favorites. I like humor and a passion for life.

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Brenda
I never was one much for poetry or the classics, however, recently I've been toying with the idea of trying to read the Iliad and the Odyssey. Give me a good old murder mystery or a cozy mystery and I'm set for the afternoon!

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

5 Year Member
Pflugerville, Texas
I recently "read" The Three Musketeers via audio book while traveling. Great book. My favorite mysteries were all of Tony Hillerman's. His daughter is now continuing his Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn stories. Yvonne, I couldn't get through the Iliad. Maybe I should try it as an audio book. You may like books by Ellen Marie Wiseman. I just read 2 of hers and loved them, What She Left Behind and The Life She Was Given. Not murder, just mysteries.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I recently "read" The Three Musketeers via audio book while traveling. Great book. My favorite mysteries were all of Tony Hillerman's. His daughter is now continuing his Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn stories. Yvonne, I couldn't get through the Iliad. Maybe I should try it as an audio book. You may like books by Ellen Marie Wiseman. I just read 2 of hers and loved them, What She Left Behind and The Life She Was Given. Not murder, just mysteries.
Tony Hillerman is one of my favorites. I also like J. A. Jance and D i c k Frances. I have all their books. Living alone, I'm able to turn one of my bedrooms into a library, and all the walls have floor to ceiling book cases on them. It's kind of sad since the onset of electronic books - I'm now boxing up all my books and getting ready to turn the room into a reptile room. I'll lose most of my collection, because my electronic books are obscure authors I've downloaded because the books were free. It's hard to let the books go. I have gone back and re-read some of them a few times and it was like reading a brand new story. Old age memory.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

5 Year Member
Pflugerville, Texas
Tony Hillerman is one of my favorites. I also like J. A. Jance and D i c k Frances. I have all their books. Living alone, I'm able to turn one of my bedrooms into a library, and all the walls have floor to ceiling book cases on them. It's kind of sad since the onset of electronic books - I'm now boxing up all my books and getting ready to turn the room into a reptile room. I'll lose most of my collection, because my electronic books are obscure authors I've downloaded because the books were free. It's hard to let the books go. I have gone back and re-read some of them a few times and it was like reading a brand new story. Old age memory.
Oh to have a library in my house like that is a dream. My husband and I plan to do that with our next house in the next 4 years. We still prefer paper books. I only do audio books some times, especially when I travel - long drives across Texas. If you were closer I would come buy your book shelves and half your books. Sell them to a half price books. I shop there often.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Shakespeare wrote plays. They’re not for reading. They’re not designed to be read. Unfortunately, in the UK at least, they have to be studied for mandatory public exams and thus are ruined for many.

As an adult, I have seen many of them performed and it opens your eyes to a new world of humour, tragedy, romance, etc. I never realised there were funny bits in Romeo and Juliet which I had to study at school until I saw it performed. The Merry Wives of Windsor is hilarious.

As for classic novels, all authors are different regardless of era. And some authors write a blockbuster and some awful stuff.

Read Jane Eyre and you realise it’s the original romantic fiction plot you see played out on tv and soap operas even now. That’s the only book I studied at school that I have, and will again, reread.

The poets passed me by. Dickens isn’t to my taste. James Joyce is worse. I enjoy some of EM Forster...
I loved Jane Eyre and read it several times. Wuthering Heights etc. I was always ready for a book report because I had already read so many books for just the fun of reading. I always got an A+. It's been so long ago I don't remember all of the authors. If I get a chance to watch a Shakespearean play I will just to see what he's really like. We have public tv still available through universities that will air those type of shows.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh to have a library in my house like that is a dream. My husband and I plan to do that with our next house in the next 4 years. We still prefer paper books. I only do audio books some times, especially when I travel - long drives across Texas. If you were closer I would come buy your book shelves and half your books. Sell them to a half price books. I shop there often.
No, I just plan to give them away if I can find a used book store that will take them. So far I have 15 boxes, and only a quarter of one wall of shelves cleaned out. It's a project that my heart isn't into, so it's hard for me to make the time to do it. But I really am anxious to get all these enclosures and incubators out of the house and into a bedroom.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Happy Saturday everyone.
Brenda

Hello and welcome to the CDR. I am Linda and I live in Kent in the South East of England.

We’re an international bunch of idiots /friends here who sometimes talk tortoise and fairly regularly talk puns and nonsense.

Pull up an armadillo and the one-legged pirate will be along shortly to bring you your beverage of choice. The big armadillo is called Montgomery and is a very obliging coffee table, especially if you dust him or tickle him under the chin.

It’s rather gloomy in here, but the flying jellyfish glow a little brighter when you polish them. The blueberry ones seem to be glowing brightest at the moment.

Watch your step; it’s easy to stub your toe on the hedgehogs in the gloom. The wool spider, if she exists, seems to be in a better mood since we locked the leprechaun in a jellyfish tank. The snow leopard is very friendly and eats carrots :)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

Happy Saturday everyone.
Brenda

I love that quote! Nice to see you here Brenda & Welcome!

Bee62

Germany
Good evening friends. It was a warm sunny day in Germany and it ended with a little thunderstorm and rain. My silly sully torts had been in their outdoor enclosure. I write silly torts because they found a way to get out of the enclosure and roam the rest of the garden. Not a real problem, I think they are much too big that my dogs can harm them. The only thing that I fear is that they eat something that they shouldn`t !:( I have to fix the problem real fast.:mad: They know there is a way to get out and they always get out :mad: But they are not stupid. They always find their way back in the stable and in their heated indoor enclosure. Amazing but stubborn torts !:D

2019-07-20__19-51-51.png

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evening friends. It was a warm sunny day in Germany and it ended with a little thunderstorm and rain. My silly sully torts had been in their outdoor enclosure. I write silly torts because they found a way to get out of the enclosure and roam the rest of the garden. Not a real problem, I think they are much too big that my dogs can harm them. The only thing that I fear is that they eat something that they shouldn`t !:( I have to fix the problem real fast.:mad: They know there is a way to get out and they always get out :mad: But they are not stupid. They always find their way back in the stable and in their heated indoor enclosure. Amazing but stubborn torts !:D

View attachment 276884

Sullies have a reputation for being very determined when they decide they want to go somewhere off limits. It seems yours are starting young Sabine! [emoji16]

Bee62

Germany
Sullies have a reputation for being very determined when they decide they want to go somewhere off limits. It seems yours are starting young Sabine! [emoji16]
Oh yes :( But it shows me that they are not as stupid as most people think. When I tell people I keep tortoises they often say: Tortoises are so boring. Why do you keep them ? I think they never watched them a few hours :D Torts are not stupid and boring at all.:) I love these little dinosaurs since I was a child and got my first greek tortoise. :):tort::<3:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Since kind of getting used to my smartphone and able to find what I want to by typing, I'm finding I don't need so many books. There are some I wish I still had though. One was a really old book by Audubon that had birds native to Ohio almost 100 years ago. If I prefer any books it would be that type.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Oh yes :( But it shows me that they are not as stupid as most people think. When I tell people I keep tortoises they often say: Tortoises are so boring. Why do you keep them ? I think they never watched them a few hours :D Torts are not stupid and boring at all.:) I love these little dinosaurs since I was a child and got my first greek tortoise. :):tort::<3:

Joe was never at the high end of the IQ scale ... just bloody-minded if he wanted something. [emoji1]

Bags of personality though. Never boring