COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I'll never complain about not having enough leaves to cover the brumatoriums (New scientific word) ever again. I raked leaves this a.m. . . and I raked, and I raked! My desert tortoises, Texans and Russians have finally gone to sleep. However, the box turtles are still out and about. It takes some pretty cold weather to make them go to bed.

Well, I'm off to the heating pad, my Kindle and the recliner.
Good Job and enjoy your down time.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Last week, or the previous week, Carol made a typo with TGF (she wrote TFG). Some members postulated various meanings of TFG vs TGF.

In the end Carol really meant to type TGF but didn't note (or fix) her typo.

Sooooooo, don’t worry TODAY isn’t Friday!
Whahahaha. I so wish it was though.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thank you I have been trying to keep it warm so it stays loose. My doc appointment is on the 17 of December and I am waiting patiently for it to come. How are you Carol? Staying warm I presume?
I am trying to stay cool. We have summer over here, so while you guys are trying to stay warm, I am trying to get cool. It is such a funny feeling when you guys complain about the cold and I complain about the heat.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hello again CDR

Hope your all well, I’ve been busy with college, the RSPCA and the 4 tortoises (Margo, Selma, Patty and Marge) who are all doing incredibly well.

I’ve been bitten many times at the RSPCA, especially by one particular male Jamaican boa constrictor. Ah yes and I’ve been working with some vipers.... Bush vipers and eyelash vipers to be exact:eek:
Here are some pics.

View attachment 283031 View attachment 283032 View attachment 283033 View attachment 283034
Wow nice photos. You are very brave. I am too scared of snakes to actually handle any.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Misty finally got a first hand look ( and smell ) of an opossum. I was putting the leopards away and I heard her barking off in the distance. I always go to her when she barks because that's her job and I want to praise her, no matter what she barks at. Well, she was in the box turtle yard and barking at something at the edge of the turtle pond. It was a juvenile opossum, playing 'possum. It was on its side sort of curled in the fetal position, with its mouth open, showing those fearsome teeth. Misty wasn't harming it, just barking at it, probably telling it to run so she could chase it. I told her she was a good girl and that was enough and she left it alone. I scooped it up with the shovel and put it under the propane tank. And Misty and I went off and about our business. She's SUCH a good dog!
She listen to you very well. She is a good dog.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
You can never go wrong with a home made burger.. I screen shot your pie recipe. I think it’s the same as one my mother had but I’m going to make it this week either way. My husband got to steal A few extra hours before leaving today so I met him in town at a little restaurant called Cajun Tex. It’s usually pretty good food but today just seemed so-so. He had some fried fish smothered with etouffe and I had garlic Parmesan chicken.. .. for supper, I had some homemade fudge that my son & I made Sunday with a half a glass of wine:)
You guys are so not helping my new eating plan, with all these sweet temptations.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
All caught up again.

Things are pretty boring here. Although last night I took part in the combat class and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I was glad to see that some of the techniques came back to me from my kickboxing days. But I will be the first to admit that I need to put some work into them as they were not as good as they should have been. And my body seemed to handle it just fine. I am a bit sore today but the class was a little bit more intense than my usual, so that is expected. I cannot wait to go again next week Tuesday.

Have an awesome day everyone.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Some of my favourite snake species live near you Carol, the boomslang and the puff adder. Both very venomous. Do you see many snakes near you?
Oh my goodness. We have seen one or two mole snakes. And my husband wanted to move away. He has a fear of snakes. But no I have actually not come across any venomous snakes as yet.

upload_2019-11-20_10-11-59.png

This snake visited our complex in 2007. I have a video of it, but I don't know how to get it to you tube from my work computer as it has been saved on my work computer.
The funny thing was that my husband high tailed it out of there as soon as he saw it. So we called the police to help us get it to go into the vlei. And the policeman did not want to touch it, it was up to the policewoman to help to get it into the vlei. It was actually very funny.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Those little guys are awfully cute. Way back in the olden days, I really wanted to have one as a pet. But it was just a pipe dream. The 'job' you have kinda' helps with those sort of pipe dreams. We DO have a wildlife rescue here in our area, but it's mostly foxes, birds of prey, skunks and the like - indigenous animals. Besides that, I'm too lazy and stuck in my 'at home' mode to do any volunteer work.
These are our indigenous animals! :)

There are way too many pigeons involved (wood pigeons, feral pigeons and collared doves), but you just work your way through them and don’t take photos :D

After the tenth hedgehog, the volume of revoltingly smelly poop is a bit of a turn off too. They’re prickly poop machines :D

We had two birds of prey in yesterday: a buzzard (European variety not a turkey vulture) and a Tawny Owl who started calling so I promptly was able to sex her as female.

Female tawnies call their menfolk with a short “ter-wit” call. The males call back with a longer “ter-woooo”. The combined call is the “twit twoo” sound that children here think all owls make :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello again CDR

Hope your all well, I’ve been busy with college, the RSPCA and the 4 tortoises (Margo, Selma, Patty and Marge) who are all doing incredibly well.

I’ve been bitten many times at the RSPCA, especially by one particular male Jamaican boa constrictor. Ah yes and I’ve been working with some vipers.... Bush vipers and eyelash vipers to be exact:eek:
Here are some pics.

View attachment 283031 View attachment 283032 View attachment 283033 View attachment 283034
Hello Ben! Long time no see. I am glad you’re doing well :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What brand do you have?

We use the BGE Smart Home kit, but the best thing is that BGE (Baltimore Gas & Electric) some time ago offerred FREE kits so we signed up & got one. All of the devices work flawlessly, it’s the TEMP/HUMIDITY sensors that read out Sullys house.

A7331CC9-9799-4D65-89FE-9BDCD8999665.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
All caught up again.

Things are pretty boring here. Although last night I took part in the combat class and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I was glad to see that some of the techniques came back to me from my kickboxing days. But I will be the first to admit that I need to put some work into them as they were not as good as they should have been. And my body seemed to handle it just fine. I am a bit sore today but the class was a little bit more intense than my usual, so that is expected. I cannot wait to go again next week Tuesday.

Have an awesome day everyone.

that doesn’t sound boring at all! What fun-) I would go with you if I was closer!