COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
helllo to all the beautiful people of the cold, dark room!

How have you guys been and what have you all been up to?

I may have mentioned this may previous acc (AbdullaAli), I'm currently studying/enjoying life @ Columbia University! I am a chemistry major at heart, though I am publishing a translation/analysis of an article about Saddam's prisons in the 1960s. I've been doing great, thriving actually. I have a new addition to our fam, though he is name is undecided as of yet, I'm still very glad to have him <3

How have all of your lives been? I have missed y'all dearly :(:<3:
Well hello there! Long time no see! It’s good to have old friends return to the CDR :)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good mornooning all.

the postman just brought my Christmas card from @CarolM ... posted on November 30th according to the postmark :D

The candy cane looks like someone tried to iron it!!!!

Thank you Carol. xx
View attachment 284880
LOL. Oh dear. I wouldn't eat it then. At least it is the thought that counts and it sure took long enough to get to you. :(

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I've just seen the news and I hope that all our friends in the South East of the US are safe after the terrible storms you have had today.
We have a rough couple of days ahead too with gales and rain brought by Storm Brendan, but it won't be anything as bad as you've experienced.
I'm thinking of you all.
Happy happy birthday Lyn! I’m sorry I’m late and I hope it was a wonderful day for you...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good Morning All,

It is Monday morning again. And I already feel hot. It is either very hot or I am going through menopause. Either way I don't like it. I have been busy planting my seeds to get them started and hope to see some of them germinate soon if all goes well. We are still waiting for the painting to be finished before I can set out my tyre planter pots. So I need to have some patience. (Which I always struggle with). But we will get there. My brother who lives on the farm said that he will give me a 5000ltr jojo tank which he is not using. I will then be able to fill it up with the well point water to use for my gardening. BUT I have to figure out how I can get the brown out of the water so that it does not stain my walls. Anybody have any advise on how I can do that without having to spend lots of money on filtration systems? Maybe I can use those pool chlorine floaters? But not sure then if the water can be used for the garden. What do you guys think?

I read somewhere that using only Softened water in your gardens will eventually cause problems.. but if they are getting plenty rain water then it doesn’t hurt...I’m not sure about the effects of chlorine though.. something else to google ;~}

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I read somewhere that using only Softened water in your gardens will eventually cause problems.. but if they are getting plenty rain water then it doesn’t hurt...I’m not sure about the effects of chlorine though.. something else to google ;~}
Yeah. I am scrapping the chlorine idea and going with the activated carbon and gravel and sand filter. It will be much better and less chemicals.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Yeah. I am scrapping the chlorine idea and going with the activated carbon and gravel and sand filter. It will be much better and less chemicals.
Great idea!!! Do you have any way of testing the water to see what the brown is? There is a new product out that is replacing the sand in industrial filter applications. If you could get your hands on that, you would cut down the product volume and Maintenence..
Google Activated Filter Media... it’s crushed glass with a charge:) you may could pull some info to help with your build.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Great idea!!! Do you have any way of testing the water to see what the brown is? There is a new product out that is replacing the sand in industrial filter applications. If you could get your hands on that, you would cut down the product volume and Maintenence..
Google Activated Filter Media... it’s crushed glass with a charge:) you may could pull some info to help with your build.
Hmm. Interesting idea. I will google it tomorrow and do some research. Thanks for that.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
helllo to all the beautiful people of the cold, dark room!

How have you guys been and what have you all been up to?

I may have mentioned this may previous acc (AbdullaAli), I'm currently studying/enjoying life @ Columbia University! I am a chemistry major at heart, though I am publishing a translation/analysis of an article about Saddam's prisons in the 1960s. I've been doing great, thriving actually. I have a new addition to our fam, though he is name is undecided as of yet, I'm still very glad to have him <3

How have all of your lives been? I have missed y'all dearly :(:<3:
Hello. Glad to meet you. I'm Cathie and new to TFO and the CDR...and I really understand why you would miss them.