COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
We have a weekend of storms coming up with flood and high wind warnings in place. Apparently something to do with the jet stream on its way from the US - so thanks guys!!! ;)
Sorry...I think I heard something like that on the news though. How the jet stream would slow down or speed up jets to and fro. That ? would be nice if your nephew was visiting.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi everyone I hope you are all well.
I haven't had a chance to catch up with your posts yet and it may take me a while as I'm only able to pop in quickly at the moment. My brother has just been diagnosed with a brain tumour which we are devastated about. He went for tests and scans for dementia 2 years ago which gave him the all clear so although we knew he wasn't himself and tried to get him to go for more tests this is quite unexpected. I'm spending as much time as possible at the hospital with him so until he is stable and we know the treatment and prognosis I'm not going to have much time. I do have a holiday for the week starting the 16th so hopefully I'll catch up with you all then if not before. Until then take care.
I'll be hoping and praying.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I haven't had a chance to catch up with your posts yet and it may take me a while as I'm only able to pop in quickly at the moment. My brother has just been diagnosed with a brain tumour which we are devastated about. He went for tests and scans for dementia 2 years ago which gave him the all clear so although we knew he wasn't himself and tried to get him to go for more tests this is quite unexpected. I'm spending as much time as possible at the hospital with him so until he is stable and we know the treatment and prognosis I'm not going to have much time. I do have a holiday for the week starting the 16th so hopefully I'll catch up with you all then if not before. Until then take care.
Lyn I am SO Sorry for you and your family.. you have my prayers and thoughts. I went through this with my grandmother. She declined all treatment options which were high risk for her age and I brought her home to live with me In the end. We lived with the diagnosis for almost two years . I am always available to talk if you need me. Love and hugs!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure by now you all might be tired of seeing posts on the new wooden handle for my infamous rusty garden trowel. So, without further elaboration, is a chronological photo share from the beginning to today‘s final reveal.

From The Start - Rusty Trowel & Nasty Handle
F58BEC04-29F1-4307-AEC8-930B05902384.jpeg 612B928D-86B9-4549-85DA-217AC4CE10F6.jpeg

Piece of Oak From Our Tree
190B34CE-F9CB-4618-BBF2-B940A554F6B0.jpeg

Onto the Lathe for Turning
D8471C69-9DDF-411C-A4BD-8CB5B3FB02C6.jpeg BBBB4EF5-559E-4DCA-ADD2-D0D705C019EC.jpeg 384EC18F-28C2-4C6E-BD9C-5E968C4BC8CD.jpeg 37586A7A-7DBB-4D95-A0ED-EBB177F259F0.jpeg 5E920086-B9C3-49ED-B924-31025B499ABC.jpeg

The Finished Garden Trowel - Ready for Spring

4CC10C10-659D-484E-A9A0-248AB216A4FB.jpeg and F9DBAD86-2F59-4140-B254-E2E1A0A7A76D.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Lyn W I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Quite a few years ago my grandson, about 13 at the time, had a brain tumor. They operated and removed it, and he's been fine ever since (a bit of a sight problem, but it's bearable). So maybe there's a good outlook for your brother too. I'm hoping for the best!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I’m sure by now you all might be tired of seeing posts on the new wooden handle for my infamous rusty garden trowel. So, without further elaboration, is a chronological photo share from the beginning to today‘s final reveal.

View attachment 285975 View attachment 285976

View attachment 285977

View attachment 285978 View attachment 285979 View attachment 285980 View attachment 285981 View attachment 285982

View attachment 285983 and View attachment 285984
I hate throwing things away. If I were handy like you (and had the right equipment), I'd never toss old stuff!! Beautiful!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I hate throwing things away. If I were handy like you (and had the right equipment), I'd never toss old stuff!! Beautiful!

Thanks. By the way, the new TFO software permits/enables a slideshow effect when someone posts several photos at once like I did above. On my ipad, once you select one photo, in the upper right are a few icons, including an arrow in a cicle that “starts” the play mode. Makes it painless & less clicks to view multiple photos.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 285975 View attachment 285976

View attachment 285977

View attachment 285978 View attachment 285979 View attachment 285980 View attachment 285981 View attachment 285982

View attachment 285983 and View attachment 285984
I always enjoy seeing your woodworking projects. It's inspiring even though I don't do that type.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Sooooo, stopped to pick up a few more pieces of the Cherry tree limbs that someone dumped on the side of the road Not too far from our house. I’m pretty sure it’s Cherry, the bark looks like cherry as does the inside when freshly cut.

A few pix of the start of a Cherry tree “project....”

A Chunk to be Cut Up
D117004A-170B-482B-91CD-815CB8CB1DE5.jpeg

A Fresh Cut
B31206A1-667A-42E7-864D-0FA4FDFECC7C.jpeg

Pieces to Work On
7C8AC074-0B38-488F-9876-A6649F429791.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Sooooo, for the “birders” in the group. I have a friend visiting & staying with friends in Tucson, Arizona, for a few weeks. They are not only birders, but also the fossil finders to boot. Check out the hummingbirds they have been watching in Arizona... pretty amazing.

Pictured are Anna’s, Broadbilled, and Costa’s. Not bad ?✅

E3042DC8-6ADF-45A5-8B84-1A5470BCA3AD.jpeg74260D68-D705-4467-B42E-1D38C57AD073.jpegA4B77006-842A-40CF-A614-065514A1F2BE.jpeg2E3B06C6-558B-4CEC-8E30-728DD2D5A77A.jpeg0A8D4ED6-0C86-4A6C-99FA-0CDFB6C41F52.jpegB19AA4B7-3945-4A7C-BD8F-1E304AEABA88.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
“Boiled Linseed Oil” is a product you can purchase as is to provide a good water resistant coating to wooden things, especislly things like garden tools, wheel barrow handles.....etc.

Linseed oil, also known as flaxseed oil or flax oil, is a colourless to yellowish oil obtained from the dried, ripened seeds of the flax plant (Linum usitatissimum). The oil is obtained by pressing, sometimes followed by solvent extraction. Linseed oil is a drying oil, meaning it can polymerize into a solid form. Owing to its polymer-forming properties, linseed oil can be used on its own or blended with combinations of other oils, resins or solvents as an impregnator, drying oil finish or varnish in wood finishing, as a pigment binder in oil paints, as a plasticizer and hardener in putty, and in the manufacture of linoleum. Linseed oil use has declined over the past several decades with increased availability of synthetic alkyd resins—which function similarly but resist yellowing.

Wood finish[edit]
When used as a wood finish, linseed oil dries slowly and shrinks little upon hardening. Linseed oil does not cover the surface as varnish does, but soaks into the (visible and microscopic) pores, leaving a shiny but not glossy surface that shows off the grain of the wood. A linseed oil finish is easily scratched, and easily repaired. Only wax finishes are less protective. Liquid water penetrates a linseed oil finish in mere minutes, and water vapour bypasses it almost completely.[5] Garden furnituretreated with linseed oil may develop mildew. Oiled wood may be yellowish and is likely to darken with age. Because it fills the pores, linseed oil partially protects wood from denting by compression.

Linseed oil is a traditional finish for firearm stocks, though very fine finish may require months to obtain. Several coats of linseed oil is the traditional protective coating for the raw willow wood of cricket bats; it is used so that the wood retains some moisture. New cricket bats are coated with linseed oil and knocked-in to perfection so that they last longer.[6] Linseed oil is also often used by billiards or pool cue-makers for cue shafts, as a lubricant/protectant for wooden recorders, and used in place of epoxy to seal modern wooden surfboards.

Additionally, a luthier may use linseed oil when reconditioning a guitar, mandolin, or other stringed instrument's fret board; lemon-scented mineral oil is commonly used for cleaning, then a light amount of linseed oil (or other drying oil) is applied to protect it from grime that might otherwise result in accelerated deterioration of the wood.
Ok so you purchase boiled linseed oil. Not boil it yourself. Interesting about the properties of the oil.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I hope your have a good therapy day. Today has been so good. Arrow is swimming better. It's taken a long time to get him there. 5 months in a little fish's life is so long. I got to see progress today so my day has been great. Plus we finally got a beautiful snowy day.
Did something happen to Arrow? My therapy went fine. I will feel the results today. :rolleyes:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Lyn, so sorry to hear about brother. I will keep your family in my prayers.