COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Cactus plants are very forgiving. Are you asking how to move it without getting all stuck with the little glochids or because you worry disturbing the roots will harm the plant. Don't worry about that. Just dig it up and move it. Easy peasy. After you've placed it where you want it to live, water sparingly, then don't water again until the earth around it is dry.

If it were me, I would wait until the heat of summer. Summer is the best time to make cactus cuttings, so summer would also be the best time to move it. Since it's hard to not cut off some of the roots with the shovel, it would also be a good idea to prune it back at this time.

It looks like it's actively growing in the picture, and if that's a current picture, then maybe you don't have to wait until summer. I guess it's always summer in Florida, huh?
Thanks, I didn't know if I should move the whole plant or cut sections and replant them.
That picture was taken yesterday. When the cool weather started the cactus started blooming. I will prune back and then move. With my wife's help of course. :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Wow! If you were a bit closer, id pop over & give you a hand with transplanting that beauty and take a few pads home to start! Why are you moving it?

You aren’t too far below Flaggler where we are hoping to move to. (Save me some pads ! )
Thanks for the offer. I have about 10 cactus but that's the biggest. Plenty to save some pads for you. I will send you some if you want.( fertilizer free). Will they grow in your area?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The last I planted was just plain winter rye grass... it grows like crazy right now... in the spring I will use some of the pasture mix I put out for my horses... I have also ordered a tortoise grazing mix...
Thank you, where did you order your tortoise mix from?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yet another damp, dark, dreary, wet morning. Again, not very cold, just not nice to be outside. @Ray--Opo .... maybe I’ll be down to help move that cactus for you. Days like today, i need some Florida warmth & sunshine!
Your more than welcome! Jan and Feb are the months that you don't know what kind of weather is going to show up. But 65 is cool for me and 50 is down right cold. Yesterday was 81 but I think we have some cool weather coming again.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
@Ray--Opo for your cactus move the most important thing for me is too keep enough soil.
Thanks to that you limit the risk of fall when you will plant it again and to crack some rackets during transportation.
Thanks that was another concern that the weight of the plant in fresh soil. I guess I could stake it for support.
What do you mean by rackets.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Wow! If you were a bit closer, id pop over & give you a hand with transplanting that beauty and take a few pads home to start! Why are you moving it?

You aren’t too far below Flaggler where we are hoping to move to. (Save me some pads ! )
I might have to move them for the fence to be installed. Not sure where my property line is.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Quick shopping trip to our local International Market where we normally pick up dandelion & cactus for Sully as well as a few other odds n ends. Today, they had MONSTER cactus pads! Normally the pads are about 10 inches or so, some thick some thinner. Today’s were extra large. (99 cents/pound)

In the fish section, they had some fresh Stone Crabs. A first for us, they normally have Blue Crabs, but these were monsters. We ended up picking two large ones to sample.

Some pix of the pads n crabs

30818F50-5FCD-49B6-A8FD-35262C9A9906.jpeg

82DAF57C-B85B-48B0-AB0D-F0606D101C9A.jpeg

9A6A523C-4BCD-40AD-BDB2-B75BCEB4048C.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks, I didn't know if I should move the whole plant or cut sections and replant them.
That picture was taken yesterday. When the cool weather started the cactus started blooming. I will prune back and then move. With my wife's help of course. :)
I read about planting cuttings. I've seen 2 ways. A Floridian can just cut at a joint and stick it in the ground or a pot. Or let the joint dry and then plant it. Sounds like the same result to me. :)