COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
So beautiful. Theres 3 feet of snow in Minnesota and the sun has been hiding for the last month.
I don't think we've had even an inch at one time. The problem is it's February. It's supposed to be freezing and snowy here. I hate being cold but I'd be ok with watching winter from my living room window.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Happy for the happy pills;-). Opo is one spoiled tort!!! Nothing wrong with that though... Toretto is choosy about when he comes out too... but his needs are met so I let him exercise his free will most of the time... I’d like to see a picture of him and Rose toasting together... y’all have a great day Ray!
Next time I will take a pic.
Heather awhile ago you had mentioned in a post. That you had planted a new plot.
What type of seed did you use?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I haven’t posted a pix of our Sully for some time. She just seems to be happy & content this Winter in the inside quarters. A new this year night box complete with Kane heat mat on the floor with a RHP in the ceiling. Some flood lights, heating lamps, & room to roam about.

View attachment 285823
Sully is looking great!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Goodmorning, went to the doctors and the CT scan on my leg only showed atrophy and soft tissue. At least no hematomas. So my stump has changed shape and that's why I can't get my prosthetic on.
Will show the CT results to my therapist so we can working on those muscles.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cactus plants are very forgiving. Are you asking how to move it without getting all stuck with the little glochids or because you worry disturbing the roots will harm the plant. Don't worry about that. Just dig it up and move it. Easy peasy. After you've placed it where you want it to live, water sparingly, then don't water again until the earth around it is dry.

If it were me, I would wait until the heat of summer. Summer is the best time to make cactus cuttings, so summer would also be the best time to move it. Since it's hard to not cut off some of the roots with the shovel, it would also be a good idea to prune it back at this time.

It looks like it's actively growing in the picture, and if that's a current picture, then maybe you don't have to wait until summer. I guess it's always summer in Florida, huh?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Cactus plants are very forgiving. Are you asking how to move it without getting all stuck with the little glochids or because you worry disturbing the roots will harm the plant. Don't worry about that. Just dig it up and move it. Easy peasy. After you've placed it where you want it to live, water sparingly, then don't water again until the earth around it is dry.

If it were me, I would wait until the heat of summer. Summer is the best time to make cactus cuttings, so summer would also be the best time to move it. Since it's hard to not cut off some of the roots with the shovel, it would also be a good idea to prune it back at this time.

It looks like it's actively growing in the picture, and if that's a current picture, then maybe you don't have to wait until summer. I guess it's always summer in Florida, huh?

Wow! If you were a bit closer, id pop over & give you a hand with transplanting that beauty and take a few pads home to start! Why are you moving it?

You aren’t too far below Flaggler where we are hoping to move to. (Save me some pads ! )

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Cold, dark, rainy, overcast, but not too cold, not snowy or windy. But kind of a yucky hump day.

Zipped up to WalMart to get a few things we needed like epoxy & birdseed! Some fresh nice kale for Sully, a tarp for the woodpile. Ogh yes, some coffee too. A can of WD40 rounded out the list.

On the way back home, we pulled over to check out some misc tree limbs that someone dumped on the backroad near our house. As I suspected, looks like Cherry limbs....so, i uplifted a few limbs into the bed of the truck for a possible future project. (Free nice wood is good). ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Cold, dark, rainy, overcast, but not too cold, not snowy or windy. But kind of a yucky hump day.

Zipped up to WalMart to get a few things we needed like epoxy & birdseed! Some fresh nice kale for Sully, a tarp for the woodpile. Ogh yes, some coffee too. A can of WD40 rounded out the list.

On the way back home, we pulled over to check out some misc tree limbs that someone dumped on the backroad near our house. As I suspected, looks like Cherry limbs....so, i uplifted a few limbs into the bed of the truck for a possible future project. (Free nice wood is good). ?
Amen to that. Cherry is so lovely. I can't wait to see your project. It's my favorite.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Next time I will take a pic.
Heather awhile ago you had mentioned in a post. That you had planted a new plot.
What type of seed did you use?
The last I planted was just plain winter rye grass... it grows like crazy right now... in the spring I will use some of the pasture mix I put out for my horses... I have also ordered a tortoise grazing mix...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
The garden trowel, complete with newly installed blade, has been wedded to the new willow oak handle. Tomorrow, I’ll give the handle a good rub down with Boiled Linseed Oil. I have the blade soaked in WD40 to remove as much of the residual rust as possible.

Not looking too bad now - slow drying on the hot water heater.

FCB93473-D1DE-4FB0-91FF-912F5F20909E.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The garden trowel, complete with newly installed blade, has been wedded to the new willow oak handle. Tomorrow, I’ll give the handle a good rub down with Boiled Linseed Oil. I have the blade soaked in WD40 to remove as much of the residual rust as possible.

Not looking too bad now - slow drying on the hot water heater.

View attachment 285882
Whoever gets that for a present won't be giving it up soon...