COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Yet another damp, dark, dreary, wet morning. Again, not very cold, just not nice to be outside. @Ray--Opo .... maybe I’ll be down to help move that cactus for you. Days like today, i need some Florida warmth & sunshine!
They promised us some freezing rain but didn't follow through. We got dark, dreary, rainy. So, my son and I played with leather.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sounds interesting... what did u make?
I'm trying to work on a purse. My son (40tyish) has learned some new hand stitching. He keeps interrupting me for advice. He's making me proud though. He's finished 3 items that look good. A Baofeng radio case, a coin case, and an addition to a knife case. It's fun. We started doing leather work together when he was about 15 and being homeschooled. We've had a unique chance to spend time like that again only less rushed.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Results are in. Doc said I have stage 2 sarcoidosis I my lungs and lymph nodes. I have my pulmonary function test on the 24 to see if my lungs are working well enough to push off treatment until it gets worse or spreads. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones who goes into remission within a year. Scared to death it wont go away. I've been fighting with my health since my son was born and this disease is the culprit of my misery. At least there's finally proof it wasn't in my head. I thought I was crazy..
Has your oxygen saturation levels went down. Mine were in the low 80's. So I am on oxygen. If I stay off the oxygen for a few hours. My chest gets tight and I need to force my words out.
I hope everything works out for you.

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
Mine on the garden of my parents. He's around 5 years old from a pad (a racket for me haha).
He is on a huge pot impossible to move with a mix of river soil (soil+sand) and small cactus all around it. The pot is on a corner of the garden with humidity close to trees, hopefully for them I am living in South of France… :p
It is growing so fast so I have to select pads during the growth to avoid some issue, on the other side of the main pad I had to put a branche to support it. A very good source of food for my russian tortoises.

img_4111.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Mine on the garden of my parents. He's around 5 years old from a pad (a racket for me haha).
He is on a huge pot impossible to move with a mix of river soil (soil+sand) and small cactus all around it. The pot is on a corner of the garden with humidity close to trees, hopefully for them I am living in South of France… :p
It is growing so fast so I have to select pads during the growth to avoid some issue, on the other side of the main pad I had to put a branche to support it. A very good source of food for my russian tortoises.

img_4111.jpg
Nice, Opo loves the flower buds. The spines don't seem to bother him. I know they bother my fingers. ☹

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The garden trowel, complete with newly installed blade, has been wedded to the new willow oak handle. Tomorrow, I’ll give the handle a good rub down with Boiled Linseed Oil. I have the blade soaked in WD40 to remove as much of the residual rust as possible.

Not looking too bad now - slow drying on the hot water heater.

View attachment 285882
That is great! What's the reason to boil the linseed oil?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I read about planting cuttings. I've seen 2 ways. A Floridian can just cut at a joint and stick it in the ground or a pot. Or let the joint dry and then plant it. Sounds like the same result to me. :)
Thanks, maybe that's why some cactus I tried to start didn't do well. I didn't let the joint dry.

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
Nice, Opo loves the flower buds. The spines don't seem to bother him. I know they bother my fingers. ☹
Haha same for me, in mine there is a lot of small ones very hard to remove of the skin… :mad:
At the beginning I removed all of spines but once I forget one location and my tortoises ate everything without any issue. You can be sure that for now I remove Nothing and my fingers are grateful… :p

Hello everyone, I have therapy today. Hope the start of your weekend goes well.
Hope everything will be fine and better for you Ray--Opo. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

img_4111.jpg

Not to brag or anything, but here's just a small portion of mine:

cactus garden b.jpgcactus garden d.jpgcactus garden e.jpgcactus garden f.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That is great! What's the reason to boil the linseed oil?

“Boiled Linseed Oil” is a product you can purchase as is to provide a good water resistant coating to wooden things, especislly things like garden tools, wheel barrow handles.....etc.

Linseed oil, also known as flaxseed oil or flax oil, is a colourless to yellowish oil obtained from the dried, ripened seeds of the flax plant (Linum usitatissimum). The oil is obtained by pressing, sometimes followed by solvent extraction. Linseed oil is a drying oil, meaning it can polymerize into a solid form. Owing to its polymer-forming properties, linseed oil can be used on its own or blended with combinations of other oils, resins or solvents as an impregnator, drying oil finish or varnish in wood finishing, as a pigment binder in oil paints, as a plasticizer and hardener in putty, and in the manufacture of linoleum. Linseed oil use has declined over the past several decades with increased availability of synthetic alkyd resins—which function similarly but resist yellowing.

Wood finish[edit]
When used as a wood finish, linseed oil dries slowly and shrinks little upon hardening. Linseed oil does not cover the surface as varnish does, but soaks into the (visible and microscopic) pores, leaving a shiny but not glossy surface that shows off the grain of the wood. A linseed oil finish is easily scratched, and easily repaired. Only wax finishes are less protective. Liquid water penetrates a linseed oil finish in mere minutes, and water vapour bypasses it almost completely.[5] Garden furnituretreated with linseed oil may develop mildew. Oiled wood may be yellowish and is likely to darken with age. Because it fills the pores, linseed oil partially protects wood from denting by compression.

Linseed oil is a traditional finish for firearm stocks, though very fine finish may require months to obtain. Several coats of linseed oil is the traditional protective coating for the raw willow wood of cricket bats; it is used so that the wood retains some moisture. New cricket bats are coated with linseed oil and knocked-in to perfection so that they last longer.[6] Linseed oil is also often used by billiards or pool cue-makers for cue shafts, as a lubricant/protectant for wooden recorders, and used in place of epoxy to seal modern wooden surfboards.

Additionally, a luthier may use linseed oil when reconditioning a guitar, mandolin, or other stringed instrument's fret board; lemon-scented mineral oil is commonly used for cleaning, then a light amount of linseed oil (or other drying oil) is applied to protect it from grime that might otherwise result in accelerated deterioration of the wood.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Large, fast moving storms blew through our area this morning. No damage here, but lots of broken trees, roofs ripped off, etc.

The rain & winds in our back garden this morning -

We finally got a snowy day...but the sunshine soon melted it off of our car windows. It was a lovely, tortoise will eat good today, kind of day.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello everyone, I have therapy today. Hope the start of your weekend goes well.
I hope your have a good therapy day. Today has been so good. Arrow is swimming better. It's taken a long time to get him there. 5 months in a little fish's life is so long. I got to see progress today so my day has been great. Plus we finally got a beautiful snowy day.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi everyone I hope you are all well.
I haven't had a chance to catch up with your posts yet and it may take me a while as I'm only able to pop in quickly at the moment. My brother has just been diagnosed with a brain tumour which we are devastated about. He went for tests and scans for dementia 2 years ago which gave him the all clear so although we knew he wasn't himself and tried to get him to go for more tests this is quite unexpected. I'm spending as much time as possible at the hospital with him so until he is stable and we know the treatment and prognosis I'm not going to have much time. I do have a holiday for the week starting the 16th so hopefully I'll catch up with you all then if not before. Until then take care.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We finally got a snowy day...but the sunshine soon melted it off of our car windows. It was a lovely, tortoise will eat good today, kind of day.
We have a weekend of storms coming up with flood and high wind warnings in place. Apparently something to do with the jet stream on its way from the US - so thanks guys!!! ;)