COLD DARK ROOM

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
As a child I knew I wanted a turtle but my mother wouldn't let me. She actually was right because I didn't want one that had to be in water. Around 50 years later I had the unique opportunity to help a pretty good size wild tortoise. I was hand feeding her and she almost accidentally bit me. She pulled her head back so she wouldn't. That's when I knew that it was a tortoise that I had wanted all along. Imagine my mother's surprise when she visited and I finally had my little friend Saphire.
The Sulcata I showed died. He was my first tortoise, my sister asked if I could care for him for 2 weeks...and thru the next 17 years Bob and I had a bond and friendship that rivaled any love I've had for a pet (and I'm old). I wrote stories about him and posted them here on the Forum. Forum members loved my stories and pretty soon people were saying hey maggie when's the next Bob stories? I believe he was popular here and I know he was seriously in Corvallis...he had invitations to have 'Bob and Santa' pictures for years at Petco...he was invited to OSU's Vet school events to walk around the campus and show off. I took him downtown and to parks...He was well loved by a lot of people. He was on the local the TV. He was in the newspaper 5 times. He was a personality, he played to the camera. I miss him a lot. I have 2 Sulcata now and tho I take good care of them and even try to play with them...but so far...no good. I think Bob was some kind of a throwback.029.JPG

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The Sulcata I showed died. He was my first tortoise, my sister asked if I could care for him for 2 weeks...and thru the next 17 years Bob and I had a bond and friendship that rivaled any love I've had for a pet (and I'm old). I wrote stories about him and posted them here on the Forum. Forum members loved my stories and pretty soon people were saying hey maggie when's the next Bob stories? I believe he was popular here and I know he was seriously in Corvallis...he had invitations to have 'Bob and Santa' pictures for years at Petco...he was invited to OSU's Vet school events to walk around the campus and show off. I took him downtown and to parks...He was well loved by a lot of people. He was on the local the TV. He was in the newspaper 5 times. He was a personality, he played to the camera. I miss him a lot. I have 2 Sulcata now and tho I take good care of them and even try to play with them...but so far...no good. I think Bob was some kind of a throwback.View attachment 286711
Yes. I think you showed him recently. I don't know what Corvallis is but I'm assuming it was the large bladder stone. Some animals are just really special and irreplaceable...Saphire will be the only tortoise I ever have. I hope I outlive him.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I think it’s about pot roast n taters time in @EllieMay ’s neck of the woods.....
You are correct... fall apart well seasoned pork, juicy carrots and taters.., it was good:)
Got a lot of my procrastinated chores done... all the Torties got a nice soak n scrub... I put the battery back in the pole saw & tested it out.. it works and the limb is tied down so all I have to do tomorrow is to climb the ladder n cut... I didn’t do it today because I want to mail it as fresh as I can... I can’t see any berries but it’s still pretty high... I googled a bit more and it seems best to send you the whole berries in a moist paper towel to protect the seeds and then you can extract them... sound good???? I’m going to be angry if there are no berries on it when it comes down tomorrow... lol... One of the sites I read said March and April for harvesting... two others said February...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You are correct... fall apart well seasoned pork, juicy carrots and taters.., it was good:)
Got a lot of my procrastinated chores done... all the Torties got a nice soak n scrub... I put the battery back in the pole saw & tested it out.. it works and the limb is tied down so all I have to do tomorrow is to climb the ladder n cut... I didn’t do it today because I want to mail it as fresh as I can... I can’t see any berries but it’s still pretty high... I googled a bit more and it seems best to send you the whole berries in a moist paper towel to protect the seeds and then you can extract them... sound good???? I’m going to be angry if there are no berries on it when it comes down tomorrow... lol... One of the sites I read said March and April for harvesting... two others said February...

You’ve been really busy! Lets hope there are some berries! Maybe moidt towel in a small sandwich bag... tks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When will I learn that the ads on the side bars on FaceBook don't speak the truth? Last week there was one for senior citizens. It was a 'club' for coupons for discounts at many of the same stores where I shop. You sign up and they send you a card (like a credit card) that you show when you shop, and you get discounts on your purchase. So I went to their site and started to sign up. It was supposed to be $2.99 to initiate the membership, so you had to give your credit card. I got to the credit card entry page and after I filled out the info it came back that it wasn't accepted. I tried again, thinking maybe I typed the card number incorrectly, but no, not accepted. I said oh well, and went out and about my business. Next time I looked at my email there was one from the credit card company asking if I made a purchase for $73.50 for some sort of discount travel something or other. I called the credit card company and explained that wasn't my purchase and we agreed the card should be cancelled. I've been checking my account online and no more charges have been made. In the meantime, that coupon company has sent me two emails asking if I still wanted to complete my application for the coupons. So now I'm waiting for a new credit card to be mailed to me. I think I'm going to 'un-follow' everyone on FB and quit looking at it. Those darned side bar ads are too easy to fall for.

But on the bright side, at the beginning of last week I filled out and sent in (electronically) my income tax return form. And this a.m. when I checked my bank account, I have received both the federal and the state tax returns in my account. That only took a week. That's never happened to me in all the years I've been filing a tax return. Probably because my income hasn't changed in years and the amount of my return is exactly the same every year.

(Can you tell I'm bored this morning?)