COLD DARK ROOM

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I hope it can stay somewhat natural while it's changing for the betterment of the people. Reads like they're trying to. It is really beautiful.
I think we're doing well.
Freedom to do pretty much what you want, within reason, great weather, beautiful countryside, good friends, delicious food, it's safe and everything you need is very cheap indeed.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Tis okay!
Most places here have electricity. In the South, where this particular Kasbah is located (there are thousands) many of the smaller towns, villages and farmsteads have solar panels. Morocco is very much at the forefront of renewable development and usage. Many rural places do still get their water from springs or wells, though. It's great fun going down the hill with your donkey with water barrels on its sides, to fill them up from the well. For the first week. Then it becomes a tad irksome.
These old kasbahs and the surrounding houses are built from wattle and daub - effectively mud and straw, so, every time it rains, which isn't too often, they dissolve a little more. The one I showed is Ait Benhaddou, here you can see the houses from a distance leading up the the kasbah.
View attachment 302176
Only a handful of families live here now, though many of the buildings are shops and cafes for the tourists.
The rest of the locals live in the modern concrete buildings on the other side of the river.
View attachment 302177
Many towns are like this. Here is Tinejdad where you can see the empty, abandoned wattle and daub buildings in the foreground, slowly dissolving in the rain, and behind them, the occupied,modern concrete new town.
View attachment 302180
The last picture is really cool to me.. they all are but that one essentially shows time... or change maybe...... thank you for sharing...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I am half English and half Welsh, had a good life, travelled a lot, lived in Saudi Arabia, Poland and Thailand, retired at thirty nine and came to live in Morocco with wifey. We rescued the Tidginator 9 years ago. Our little girl.

You’ve indulged me.. thank you! they say curiosity killed the cat... hope that doesn’t apply to the broader spectrum... ??

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Don't worry, I don't mind falling over.
I've been an expert for many years.
Oh great! We will drink together then.. as long as you can remember the stories of where you’ve been... you keep talkin.. and I’ll keep drinking.. win win here I’m thinking... Everyone gather round and fill your cups;-))

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Oh great! We will drink together then.. as long as you can remember the stories of where you’ve been... you keep talkin.. and I’ll keep drinking.. win win here I’m thinking... Everyone gather round and fill your cups;-))
Surely.
I've just been to the kitchen to fill the kettle.
These long summer evenings will just fly by.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think we're doing well.
Freedom to do pretty much what you want, within reason, great weather, beautiful countryside, good friends, delicious food, it's safe and everything you need is very cheap indeed.
I think you-all are doing very well too. That's my definition of paradise. What else could anyone want? ??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Don't believe him for a minute about the tea kettle... he's been drinking beer with the rest of us.