COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
From what they’re saying on our news you have a new variant of covid in South Africa that is potentially even worse than the one they found here. Ours only varies in one part; the South African one varies in three. They are reasonably confident the vaccine will be effective against our variant, but with more changes it may be less effective against the South African version. :(

If there are variants in two countries there will likely be others in other countries and keeping up with the mutations means we all face lockdowns for a while longer I think.

Yes, i heard all of this as well. These darn viruses are pretty well designed to change/mutate so quickly. In University genetics class we learned about & did our own experiments with fruit flies. Their life cycle is like 28 days I think, and can change eye color, wing shape, or wingless, etc. Wonder how fast these COVID viruses change?

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Darn rain got in the way of our plans of finishing up the deck planking. Cold start to the day, a few very slight sprinkles but we got started. Trying to maximize board length usage, and making 45 degree cuts on all edges is a bit time intensive. We got a a few boards cut & then the drizzle turned to rain...?..

Getting Closer
468C53CE-BEA8-4F10-8B47-6B118A9A0BCA.jpeg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
From what they’re saying on our news you have a new variant of covid in South Africa that is potentially even worse than the one they found here. Ours only varies in one part; the South African one varies in three. They are reasonably confident the vaccine will be effective against our variant, but with more changes it may be less effective against the South African version. :(

If there are variants in two countries there will likely be others in other countries and keeping up with the mutations means we all face lockdowns for a while longer I think.
Yeah and to make matters even worse, our government apparently hasn't even managed to get vaccines yet.
?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Darn rain got in the way of our plans of finishing up the deck planking. Cold start to the day, a few very slight sprinkles but we got started. Trying to maximize board length usage, and making 45 degree cuts on all edges is a bit time intensive. We got a a few boards cut & then the drizzle turned to rain...?..

Getting Closer
View attachment 314728
I wish I had the know how to do this kind of thing, but my eyesight is terrible and my angle working outs are even worse. :eek:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good Morning All,

It is the middle of the week, can't wait for the weekend - You know me, I live for the weekends. Dentist appointment to sort out some teeth that need fillings and I had to wait for the new medical aid year to kick in. And I need to make an appointment with an optometrist so that I can get glasses that actually work and I can then see what I am doing.

But our government is supposed to be having a meeting this morning to discuss the covid situation. So there just might be a harder lock down coming. So we will see what happens.

Work and learning new things at work is keeping me busy and making things interesting for a change and I love it. I hate being bored and having to sit and twiddle my thumbs doing nothing. So me being busy at work with new kinds of work is so much nicer and certainly less boring.

The torts are loving the sunny and hot days. And Yesterday I bought some fish for the pond. 5 x small koi and 3 x gold fish and some special stuff to condition and make the pond water good for fish - This stuff was more expensive than the fish lol. I decided that I needed them, as the mosquitoes were breeding in the pond. So the fish should be fed very nicely for a while. Only thing is, that I put them in, and they promptly disappeared to the bottom. I have not seen them since. I figure as long as I don't see them floating in the top they are should be fine. and hopefully if they do their job properly I will see them sometime, because they will help to keep the pond clean. Or at least I am hoping that they will.

Anyway, that is all from me, So have a fantastic day everyone. I hope it is a good one.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good Morning All,

It is the middle of the week, can't wait for the weekend - You know me, I live for the weekends. Dentist appointment to sort out some teeth that need fillings and I had to wait for the new medical aid year to kick in. And I need to make an appointment with an optometrist so that I can get glasses that actually work and I can then see what I am doing.

But our government is supposed to be having a meeting this morning to discuss the covid situation. So there just might be a harder lock down coming. So we will see what happens.

Work and learning new things at work is keeping me busy and making things interesting for a change and I love it. I hate being bored and having to sit and twiddle my thumbs doing nothing. So me being busy at work with new kinds of work is so much nicer and certainly less boring.

The torts are loving the sunny and hot days. And Yesterday I bought some fish for the pond. 5 x small koi and 3 x gold fish and some special stuff to condition and make the pond water good for fish - This stuff was more expensive than the fish lol. I decided that I needed them, as the mosquitoes were breeding in the pond. So the fish should be fed very nicely for a while. Only thing is, that I put them in, and they promptly disappeared to the bottom. I have not seen them since. I figure as long as I don't see them floating in the top they are should be fine. and hopefully if they do their job properly I will see them sometime, because they will help to keep the pond clean. Or at least I am hoping that they will.

Anyway, that is all from me, So have a fantastic day everyone. I hope it is a good one.
Hope you have a good Day too Carol, and that your fish settle in and see off the mozzies!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yeah and to make matters even worse, our government apparently hasn't even managed to get vaccines yet.
?
The numbers of people infected in England has risen from 1 in 900 in Sept, to 1 in 50 now.
1 in 30 tested positive in London.
I should think the numbers are similar in Wales - scary stuff.
At least we have a glimmer of hope with vaccines being delivered now.
I hope your gov. get their act together soon.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The numbers of people infected in England has risen from 1 in 900 in Sept, to 1 in 50 now.
I should think the numbers are similar in Wales - scary stuff.
At least we have a glimmer of hope with vaccines being delivered now.
I hope your gov. get their act together soon.
I know that we are not supposed to be talking politics on here, but I am just going to say that I don't have much faith in them unfortunately. I also think that it is going to be harder for our country to kick it, as we have quite a few people who are under the impression that they won't or can't get it for various reasons. Stupid and selfish people basically.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well, this winter it has not snowed, iced or been very cold. But it has rained a lot...My Sulcata pens flooded...again. No grass. A friend sent me a pasture mix so when it gets about 60 degrees I will plant it...my pens now. That goose is almost 2 ft tall.
100_6154.JPG
100_6151.JPG
So I am setting my cat trap again. I can't stand this. Why do people think it is alright to turn their cat loose outside to harass the neighbors. I catch'em and take them for a ride. Sound mean? I have told these neighbors about the damage that cat is doing on my property, and that I will trap it and take it for a ride. Evidently that jerk didn't believe me. So when I do trap his cat, I will go for a road trip with a cat, but I will not bring the cat back with me.
I feel bad for the cat, but not his person.
100_6173.JPG
It's too bad the cat will suffer because his keeper is an idiot.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well, this winter it has not snowed, iced or been very cold. But it has rained a lot...My Sulcata pens flooded...again. No grass. A friend sent me a pasture mix so when it gets about 60 degrees I will plant it...my pens now. That goose is almost 2 ft tall.
View attachment 314783
View attachment 314785
So I am setting my cat trap again. I can't stand this. Why do people think it is alright to turn their cat loose outside to harass the neighbors. I catch'em and take them for a ride. Sound mean? I have told these neighbors about the damage that cat is doing on my property, and that I will trap it and take it for a ride. Evidently that jerk didn't believe me. So when I do trap his cat, I will go for a road trip with a cat, but I will not bring the cat back with me.
I feel bad for the cat, but not his person.
View attachment 314786
It's too bad the cat will suffer because his keeper is an idiot.
One of the neighbors - in fact the one who keeps the budgies that I sent you the pic of, anyway the lady across the road from him, has a cat which keeps on going into his garden and until he went and spent a fortune on cat proving his aviaries, this cat kept on getting into his aviary and killing his birds. And all the lady said was - well what do you expect, that is what cats do. But she keeps on letting her cat out at night and closing all the windows to her house, so the cat cannot get in at night. So the cat then goes into the aviary guys garden and everybody else's garden and causes mischief. I told him to also lay a cat trap, trap the cat and go and drop it off in grassy park or by the SPCA. So far he hasn't done it? He is studying to be a VET and doesn't have the heart to do that to the cat. But it is not a nice cat. Sooooooo

There is nothing wrong with having pets, but when those pets become a menance to other neighbours it is time you did something. Just saying.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
One of the neighbors - in fact the one who keeps the budgies that I sent you the pic of, anyway the lady across the road from him, has a cat which keeps on going into his garden and until he went and spent a fortune on cat proving his aviaries, this cat kept on getting into his aviary and killing his birds. And all the lady said was - well what do you expect, that is what cats do. But she keeps on letting her cat out at night and closing all the windows to her house, so the cat cannot get in at night. So the cat then goes into the aviary guys garden and everybody else's garden and causes mischief. I told him to also lay a cat trap, trap the cat and go and drop it off in grassy park or by the SPCA. So far he hasn't done it? He is studying to be a VET and doesn't have the heart to do that to the cat. But it is not a nice cat. Sooooooo

There is nothing wrong with having pets, but when those pets become a menance to other neighbours it is time you did something. Just saying.
I am now and have been all my life, a cat lover. I even had a big black cat born in Oklahoma named Big Bubba who drove truck with me, so it really makes me feel kinda icky inside to be mean to the cats. But I live in a place where it is illegal to keep outside cats, inside cats live from 7 to 10 years longer than outside cats, inside cats cannot be taken on a one way road trip by me. And the #1 thing is I won't put up with cats prints on my freakin car, or cats having a meal under my bird feeders
Example...
I went to one particular neighbor and described to him the damage his cat does by knocking plants off my deck railing, eats my wild birds, walks on my clean and waxed car, sprays urine on my back door, f'ing craps in my garden AND my big potted plants etc. So i tell him keep it inside or I'll take it for a ride. I trapped that cat 3 times! He's laughing at me as his cat is chipped. So I trapped the cat just before a road trip to Texas. I dropped the cat in New Mexico and continued on to South Texas. Cat really was gone that time and the guy ended up moving. So I have been wrestling with feelings over doing that for years.. BUT...now there is my very next door neighbor, and you see my car. ANYBODY who knows me knows how I feel about my car and how clean I keep it. Last night it was covered with mouse traps and pepper. I'll do obnoxious things to that cat and see if I can't scare him enuf to make him stay away from my property. I don't want to take another cat for a ride, really. But if nothing works a one way ride is next.
100_6210.JPG