COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The prosthesist came today with my new leg socket for a fitting. It fit perfect. Should have my new leg in a few weeks.
My son with covid is struggling, went to the hospital yesterday but oxygen saturation was good and lungs were clear. So they sent him home.
My God child in the Philippines is recovering well from dengue. Had a scare for a few days because he was admitted back in the hospital. White blood cells kept rising. Awhile back another family member lost a infant to leukemia. So that was a worry on everyone's mind. But the antibiotics finally started working. ?
There's a lot going on in your family, Ray. But good news that the prosth. fit!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The prosthesist came today with my new leg socket for a fitting. It fit perfect. Should have my new leg in a few weeks.
My son with covid is struggling, went to the hospital yesterday but oxygen saturation was good and lungs were clear. So they sent him home.
My God child in the Philippines is recovering well from dengue. Had a scare for a few days because he was admitted back in the hospital. White blood cells kept rising. Awhile back another family member lost a infant to leukemia. So that was a worry on everyone's mind. But the antibiotics finally started working. ?
Hang in there Ray.

Excellent news about your leg And your godchild.

Your son is clearly still pretty ill. Hopefully he will be through the worst of it soon.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow, yes things are crazy expensive here. Thank goodness I don’t smoke anymore , cigarettes are almost $10 a pack. Utter lunacy to keep smoking!
Cigarettes are about the same price here and not worth all that.? Especially since rolling your own is better tobacco anyway. It doesn't have all those chemicals in it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evenooning all.

It’s been dry but quite chilly in the wind today. Like Lyn we are forecast wintery showers next week.

Tomorrow is exciting. My son and his girlfriend, and my daughter, are coming here for a barbecue. Under the current covid rules, we are allowed to meet as a group of up to 6 outdoors, so we will be wrapping up warm ?

I shall also be making hot cross buns for Good Friday.

This all gets complicated because there was a poorly pigeon on our patio this evening. I scooped him up and popped him in a box. If he is still with us in the morning, I’ll take him to the rescue for some expert care.

And finally, the dominant hog in our garden abandoned the cat biscuits to go bowling last night and then spent a good 5 minutes trying to shove his victim under the fence.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That’s very weird, maybe it was to do with not being able to taste anything apart from strong tasting sweet things. Glad you and your brothers are all ok now!
I've been working with some particular animals that have been in terrible conditions before they were brought in to the rescue, this made them extremely defensive. Over time with occasional interaction and handling they have got so much better!:)
Actually I didn't lose my sense of taste and smell. I was starving but I had to have exactly what I was hungry for. I also forced myself to drink pedialyte. It was weird. That's why I couldn't believe I was positive. Also I didn't run a fever. I'm really glad you still get to work with the animals. It's so rewarding. It's funny how the look in their eyes changes after they know you are trying to help them. I've always thought you're not seeing as much fear. That the wild look in their eyes is fear.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If you think about it, when a pad falls from a plant in the wild it will lay on its side. There’s nobody to stand it upright. It makes sense the pad will root like that.
Yes it does because everyone of the splines are on dirt. It would be interesting to watch what happens after it roots. To see where new pads start that way. And it would have so many roots and be well grounded.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
???????? our temps have dramatically dropped here and we received a ton of rain. Trees are starting to bud, I see green buds on the Persimmon, Dogwood buds, and fig trees are leafing out. Grass growing n green. Dandelions - blooming. Picked a good bucket of weeds for our Sully. Devoured & looking for more.

Next week, back to normal temps in the 70’s. Time to kick Spring gardening into gear.

Im thinking of building two of these Adirondack chairs for the newly planked deck....

View attachment 322267

Or a proper bench, but not sure I want to tackle this one yet.

View attachment 322268
Did you know the original Adirondack chairs, were constructed of 11 pieces of wood. Cut from one plank of knot free lumber?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
There's a lot going on in your family, Ray. But good news that the prosth. fit!
Thanks Yvonne, I am thankful my God Child is recovering. With the experience of leukemia from a past family infant. It was on everyone's mind. But no one talked about it.
I am hopeful my son Ray recovers from covid soon. Hope he will be feeling good for our fishing trip on the 26th.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hang in there Ray.

Excellent news about your leg And your godchild.

Your son is clearly still pretty ill. Hopefully he will be through the worst of it soon.
Thank you, he was a nay sayer about the virus. Thinking it was all being blown out of proportion. He has changed his mind now.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to the CDR. I’m Linda and I live in Kent in South East England.
?
We’re an international bunch of idiots /friends here who sometimes talk tortoise and fairly regularly talk puns and nonsense.

Pull up an armadillo and the one-legged pirate will be along shortly to bring you your beverage of choice. The big armadillo is called Montgomery and is a very obliging coffee table, especially if you dust him or tickle him under the chin.

It’s rather gloomy in here, but the flying jellyfish glow a little brighter when you polish them. The blueberry ones seem to be glowing brightest at the moment.

Watch your step; it’s easy to stub your toe on the hedgehogs in the gloom. The wool spider, if she exists, seems to be in a better mood since we locked the leprechaun in a jellyfish tank. The snow leopard is very friendly and eats carrots :)
? I have 2 left thumbs. But hello anyway. I couldn't figure out how to get out of it once I touched the reply button ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's a lot of good news even though it seems like it's pouring bad. Tell your son from me it does make you wonder if you'll get back to normal. It's really hard. But keep fighting and make yourself eat whatever you can and fluids.? And such good news about your little God child on the road to recovery.?. I can't wait to see you on your new leg. It sounds like they finally found a good fit.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good to hear better news for you Ray. Lets hope everything is looking up for you all and that your son feels much better soon.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good evenooning all.

It’s been dry but quite chilly in the wind today. Like Lyn we are forecast wintery showers next week.

Tomorrow is exciting. My son and his girlfriend, and my daughter, are coming here for a barbecue. Under the current covid rules, we are allowed to meet as a group of up to 6 outdoors, so we will be wrapping up warm ?

I shall also be making hot cross buns for Good Friday.

This all gets complicated because there was a poorly pigeon on our patio this evening. I scooped him up and popped him in a box. If he is still with us in the morning, I’ll take him to the rescue for some expert care.

And finally, the dominant hog in our garden abandoned the cat biscuits to go bowling last night and then spent a good 5 minutes trying to shove his victim under the fence.
Just like a faster version of tort territorial behaviour!
I feel like I should be ringing a bell to end the round?
I hope you have a good day with the family and that the poorly pigeon get better.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
i
Thanks Yvonne, I am thankful my God Child is recovering. With the experience of leukemia from a past family infant. It was on everyone's mind. But no one talked about it.
I am hopeful my son Ray recovers from covid soon. Hope he will be feeling good for our fishing trip on the 26th.
had forgotten that was coming up so soon... hopefully it will all go as planned.. damned that Covid anyway!!!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
That's a lot of good news even though it seems like it's pouring bad. Tell your son from me it does make you wonder if you'll get back to normal. It's really hard. But keep fighting and make yourself eat whatever you can and fluids.? And such good news about your little God child on the road to recovery.?. I can't wait to see you on your new leg. It sounds like they finally found a good fit.
I will tell my son. Thank you!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
That actually looks like a better way to root them. Mine that fell over didn't even come close. It was growing nice pads and was in dirt for growing cactus.
Did you allow the cut to scab over?
I usually pick up the ones that fall off. But I am going to leave them and see how they grow.