COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
It's very warm here today and the forecast says we have at least a week of sunshine and temps in the high 70Fs to come for the first week of the kids long, summer school holidays.
Lola seems back to normal now and is enjoying some grazing and basking time in the sun. He's still trying to rearrange my pots - maybe he's into feng shui!:)
Hope everyone has a good Thursday!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So here’s one for ya….
I finally got to visit my mom today for a lovely chat.
We laughed ,cried and ate a little
because it’s been 10 years today that my daddy ?.
I still can’t even say it. ?
We just miss him sooo much. He was the heart of the family. Kept everyone leveled and calm.
Now, everyone is all over the place yelling about mugs, (yep, I said MUGS) , fighting about the dumbest things and miserable.
Yet When I show up to the house ,
I am announced like the QUEEN???
My mom yells all over the house that I’ve shown up!! Everyone is to wake up or come inside just to see ME????
I kinda take after my dad, as I cannot stay SERIOUS all day long. I’d go nuts!
I bring the serious ones down a peg and the next you know we are all laughing sharing stories of work or old times…
Sorry to get off track…
Ok… here’s where it gets cool.. I promise!
So I am driving home up Rt.17 at 75mph in the fast lane (@maggie3fan would love that one) … when all of a sudden on the opposite side of the road coming towards me (fast too) Was a yellow car in ITS fast lane.
Not just any car mind you…
But… yes you guessed it…

A FORMULA ONE RACE CAR!!!!!
I couldn’t believe it!!! I almost ?!!!!!
It sped past me SOOOO freakin fast I could only notice the yellow parts of the car. It had stickers on it of endorsements but who could read THAT fast????
And when I tell ya…. It sounded EXACTLY Like they do on the tv!!!!!!!
Soooo loud it hurt my ear!!!!
And grizzly too!
Wow.. what fun it was to quickly SEE that!! Made my day!
Funny, now that I am thinking about it ?
My daddy’s favorite color was…..
Yep! You guessed it!
YELLOW! ?
Hope everyone is doing well today ❤️
Are there any F1 races on in the US - maybe he was lost!;)
So pleased you managed to seee your Mom and family and were able to lighten the mood.
My Dad died over 30 years ago. We all rallied around Mum to help her and when we lost her it felt as if the family crumbled. It took us all a while to get back to being a close family without her, and as we've since lost 2 siblings we realise it's important to stay close.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Are there any F1 races on in the US - maybe he was lost!;)
So pleased you managed to seee your Mom and family and were able to lighten the mood.
My Dad died over 30 years ago. We all rallied around Mum to help her and when we lost her it felt as if the family crumbled. It took us all a while to get back to being a close family without her, and as we've since lost 2 siblings we realise it's important to stay close.

Good morning all!

Good day Lyn,
I hope it’s going to be a gorgeous day for you. Here it is going to be in the 90s and very humid… ?
I won’t complain because that’s nothing compared to California and Oregon and out west…
I am having trouble breathing in this weather too? I am not an asthmatic or have any respiratory problems so I can’t understand why when I go outside I will be 5 mins and then I am huffing and puffing?
Like my lungs were filled with a thick fog?
What is that???

As for the race cars…
I think they might be having a “show” on in one of the hotels up here. They hold special events sometimes and lately I have heard mustangs, Chevelle’s and some chargers blowing their exhaust at night around 10pm?
But what I saw and heard on my way home was nooooo charger…but fun non the less.
?

I am so sorry for your losses, I know how you must feel. After awhile you start to not care if you talk to siblings all of the time.
Sometimes I think to myself….
Do I want to go to a place where all there is is fighting or bickering and be a referee?
Some days I’m not into it and just stay away.They are adults and SHOULD be able to handle it themselves…
But I must say, I do know how you feel.
We stay close when it’s “convenient”
(Holidays,birthdays,…)
But I guess that’s all I can expect .
People are or get busy..?

Well here’s to YOU having a Great day today from ME. ? ?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good day all. Back from my long weekend of kayaking in and about Maryland’s Smith Island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.

The garden & grass have taken off.

The Lord Baltimore Hardy Hibiscus are Happy

View attachment 329101
View attachment 329100

That's lovely. We got Zola a hibiscus plant for his 21st birthday, as I have read a lot about tortoises loving them, but it will be a long time before it flowers, and it is only pinkish coloured. I will have to look out for one like yours, as I know he would prefer a red one - would it grow in dampish UK climate, I wonder?
Angie

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Happy Thursday all! There are many traumatic events going on with my family and loved ones right now. So much so that I'm not going to write a depressing novel.. it’s hard to stay positive when it feels like the world keeps piling ? on top of you.. on that note, I am determined to be positive for everyone.. Just remember that tomorrow is never guaranteed. Cherish your loved ones and never take one day for granted. Things change in the blink of an eye. So…. Our camadrie here on the forum means a lot to me . I sincerely hope that each of you here has something really nice to smile about today.. and when it’s hard to think that way… Dig deep! I’ll go first ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's lovely. We got Zola a hibiscus plant for his 21st birthday, as I have read a lot about tortoises loving them, but it will be a long time before it flowers, and it is only pinkish coloured. I will have to look out for one like yours, as I know he would prefer a red one - would it grow in dampish UK climate, I wonder?
Angie
I bought one about 4 years ago and although it has survived and grown. I'm yet to have any flowers. It's in a large pot so maybe it doesn't like being contained. It was only an Aldi plant though so maybe not the best.
I also bought a grape vine from Aldi which is doing OK and had tiny grapes the last couple of years but Lola won't touch the leaves so it was a bit of a waste of time.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Happy Thursday all! There are many traumatic events going on with my family and loved ones right now. So much so that I'm not going to write a depressing novel.. it’s hard to stay positive when it feels like the world keeps piling ? on top of you.. on that note, I am determined to be positive for everyone.. Just remember that tomorrow is never guaranteed. Cherish your loved ones and never take one day for granted. Things change in the blink of an eye. So…. Our camadrie here on the forum means a lot to me . I sincerely hope that each of you here has something really nice to smile about today.. and when it’s hard to think that way… Dig deep! I’ll go first ?
You are so right and I'm so sorry your family is having a hard time - you know where we are if you need to let off steam.

Lola has made me smile a lot today, I put his playtunnel out and he spent a lot of time marching through it, around it and even under it. He looked surprised each time he emerged from it. Daft tort!:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all!

Good day Lyn,
I hope it’s going to be a gorgeous day for you. Here it is going to be in the 90s and very humid… ?
I won’t complain because that’s nothing compared to California and Oregon and out west…
I am having trouble breathing in this weather too? I am not an asthmatic or have any respiratory problems so I can’t understand why when I go outside I will be 5 mins and then I am huffing and puffing?
Like my lungs were filled with a thick fog?
What is that???
The world's weather is crazy! Just heard at least 40 people dead in Germany with many still missing after floods annihilated a village, part of Belgium, France and Netherlands also affected. So much rain wasn't expected and there's more on the way for them. :( So very sorry for them.

Maybe it's like a smog affecting your breathing, try wearing your mask to see if that helps. I hope it eases for you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It has been so long since I was here I have forgotten how to do it.

Been so busy with work that haven't had the time or energy to come visit.

I will try and pop in tomorrow
I'm kinda glad it was work because it also means you are well. I understand the being too tired to text even though you're sitting on your butt while you text.? Sometimes your brain gets tired too.??️

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I've spent the day in first an urgent care and then an ER. Joe has pneumonia but there's good news with that too. Instead of keeping him (which would have been horrible for him) they let me bring him home. The other good thing I learned is he doesn't have covid-19 again. For the first time today I heard from medical professionals that it's very rare for people to get it again after recovering from it. I was really afraid I had made a big mistake letting him return to some normal activities. He won't allow them to vaccinate him because of things he's seen online on his iPad. So it's a happy sad day ??
I am glad he’s allowed home. It’s a shame about the vaccine :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evenooning all.

It’s been a busy week with good news and not so good news.

The good news is that the rescue is back open. it wasn’t avian flu. It was something unpronounceable, far less serious and treatable.

We have been run of our feet still at the rescue.

Here in the UK, those of us with smart phones have an app. If someone we spent time with tests positive for covid, we get pinged by the app and told to self isolate. JoesDad woke up to the self isolation notice on Monday morning and he has to isolate until midnight on Saturday.

Tonight, I got pinged too. My isolation ends at midnight on Wednesday next week. The timing is really bad. I am supposed to be at the rescue at 7am tomorrow. They haven’t managed to fill my slot, so the staff will have to feed baby birds in my place which means they can’t do what they’re supposed to :(

It’ set to be fine weather this weekend. I guess I will be doing lots of gardening. The planned birdwatching trip for Sunday is off now.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I am glad he’s allowed home. It’s a shame about the vaccine :(
His iPad is so important to him because it's one of his ways of communicating to everyone. Something about texting and all that makes sense to him. Yet there's such a bad side to that online if you have someone with the abilities of an adult and the common sense of less then a 2 year old. So I was really glad to hear that it is very rare so far for people that have survived COVID-19 to get it again.