Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yes. I didn't see any news of the new variant causing a death. With all the gloom and doom reporting they seem to have glossed over that fact. Only that they don't know much about it yet. I've had COVID and I'm vaccinated but I still don't trust that I can't give it to someone I love if I come down with a "mild case" of it. Or even the delta variant. I have seen that they finally are admitting that vaccinated can still get it. But who wouldn't know that and if they get it they are infectious to others. So stay home if you don't feel well. But again there's that weird period of time when you don't understand that you may be infectious and try to keep carrying on. My sister in law has been living with 3 different people unvaccinated over this whole year that tested positive (at different times) and has just now came down with it herself finally. I'm wondering and hoping that she built up some antibodies just by being exposed so many times and will not wind up with ? a bad case.?
My son Jim got the covid Sunday. He was not vaccinated. He wasn't a anti vaccser, he just thought he was bulletproof. He has mild symptoms and hopefully it stays that way. I tried talking him into getting the vaccine and then left it alone.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
It might just be a natural progression of the virus as it spreads amongst us.
Yeah, that's the sad thing about the virus, or any disease in general. It only takes one mutation. The Spanish flu was a common cold, until it mutated in the trenches while the ill bodies of the soldiers couldn't fight back. The thing is, it mutated multiple times, and became deadly. Same with the black death that killed so many of our ancestors. In Scandinavia, they found the black death inside the skull cavity of a person that died thousands of years ago. It's genetic info didn't correspond with the deadly version. None of the other remains around it had traces of the black death, indicating it wasn't contagious. We should remember that even though the organism isn't alive (doesn't urinate or defecate, move etc) it is trying to survive. Like Darwin's theory of evolution says. Lots of variation in genotype, until an event happens. Only some survive and give their variation to their offspring that have the better genotype... and if that genotype is deadly and carried over... But the thing is I feel it's a turning point, this may be the first time ever that we could "fight a disease". The only problem is it spreads fast, so it changes fast. So it does feel that we are at a point that it feels uncertain, we don't really see the end of it in sight? Here in SA, we almost expect another lockdown over the holdays, no inter provincial travel etc. We thought it went better in Europe, but it seems it doesn't (Doesn't help if your PM is a clown aswell, we heard about that Christmas party he had)
But there is no reason to be sad, I do feel we are reaching a point of change, we are close to being past this virus, look how far we came! We've made vaccines, it's been almost 2 years. I think the entire situation is unprecedented, and us humans don't really know how this will end, but I do feel it'll be fine in the end

But enough Covid talk from me! Look at Zvezda's cute little legs!
20211212_054546.jpg
20211208_125249_002.jpgIt's another beautiful day! Just like Sunny sees the world, it is your oyster20211210_125624.jpg
(I dreamt last night I was on our farm, trying to take images of the mountains for the forum, quite relaxing if you ask me, might aswell post them)IMG-20211214-WA0002.jpgIMG-20211214-WA0001.jpgIMG-20211214-WA0003.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yeah, that's the sad thing about the virus, or any disease in general. It only takes one mutation. The Spanish flu was a common cold, until it mutated in the trenches while the ill bodies of the soldiers couldn't fight back. The thing is, it mutated multiple times, and became deadly. Same with the black death that killed so many of our ancestors. In Scandinavia, they found the black death inside the skull cavity of a person that died thousands of years ago. It's genetic info didn't correspond with the deadly version. None of the other remains around it had traces of the black death, indicating it wasn't contagious. We should remember that even though the organism isn't alive (doesn't urinate or defecate, move etc) it is trying to survive. Like Darwin's theory of evolution says. Lots of variation in genotype, until an event happens. Only some survive and give their variation to their offspring that have the better genotype... and if that genotype is deadly and carried over... But the thing is I feel it's a turning point, this may be the first time ever that we could "fight a disease". The only problem is it spreads fast, so it changes fast. So it does feel that we are at a point that it feels uncertain, we don't really see the end of it in sight? Here in SA, we almost expect another lockdown over the holdays, no inter provincial travel etc. We thought it went better in Europe, but it seems it doesn't (Doesn't help if your PM is a clown aswell, we heard about that Christmas party he had)
But there is no reason to be sad, I do feel we are reaching a point of change, we are close to being past this virus, look how far we came! We've made vaccines, it's been almost 2 years. I think the entire situation is unprecedented, and us humans don't really know how this will end, but I do feel it'll be fine in the end

View attachment 337470
View attachment 337471It's another beautiful day! Just like Sunny sees the world, it is your oysterView attachment 337472
(I dreamt last night I was on our farm, trying to take images of the mountains for the forum, quite relaxing if you ask me, might aswell post them)View attachment 337474View attachment 337473View attachment 337475

That’s one heck of a view. So, how much of this is your property? Is there power or water, or just a road into the area?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes the variant has hit the U.S. hard. We saw the first death from the variant a couple of days ago. What's not being accurately reported is the # of deaths of vaccine recipients from the vaccine. Or that the vaccines do not prevent the vaccinated from coming down with the variant.
We've got the variant in oregon now...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

View attachment 337470
View attachment 337471It's another beautiful day! Just like Sunny sees the world, it is your oysterView attachment 337472
(I dreamt last night I was on our farm, trying to take images of the mountains for the forum, quite relaxing if you ask me, might aswell post them)View attachment 337474View attachment 337473View attachment 337475
Wow! That's where you live? Everyday? Beautiful...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The website is not to user friendly for me. I guess I will give them a call. Maybe they don't offer anymore. I have so many gadgets to try to relieve my pains. This might be the one.
A TENS unit is widely used today. I had one for my neck and one for my wrist...zap...zit..made me freakin jump every time...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
A Non-Kayaking/Non woodworking/Non Weather Update….

Readers Digest Edition: After dealing with chronic and worsening pain in my right hip over the past 10 years, I went for total hip replacement surgery this morning.!

Surgery started at 0715, completed by 0915 and I was walking, doing steps, etc by noon. And discharged shortly there after.
✅ Out patient hip replacement surgery.

We’re in a hotel close by the hospital to reduce time traveling in the car. Tomorrow, we’ll pack our bags & zip home to Maryland.

?? For the Doc & Medical Staff. ??? For wifey who is making chicken soup & soba noodles for our dinner.

Next update - the finished bowl of course! ?
It’s amazing how modern medicine is now.. I know I’m late but I hope all is well. How are you now?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My son Jim got the covid Sunday. He was not vaccinated. He wasn't a anti vaccser, he just thought he was bulletproof. He has mild symptoms and hopefully it stays that way. I tried talking him into getting the vaccine and then left it alone.
My brother and the 2 kids had mild cases. Penny is having a little worse with loss of taste but nothing like what I had. This is the first flue shot I've ever had and that's all it really is. I'm not sure I'll take another because I also lived through COVID. I think it's going to take that to help us get to the point that it's "herd immunity". The shot is so it doesn't kill so many people in the long run.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 337470
There's been news of an anti-viral pill that's been developed for it also and waiting for approval here in the US. If they take it within the first 5 days it's said to lessen the symptoms also. Although your country side is so beautiful a cute tortie always makes me smile and yours are adorable. ?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
That’s one heck of a view. So, how much of this is your property? Is there power or water, or just a road into the area?
Wow! That's where you live? Everyday? Beautiful...
If you follow the fence, everything on the left, up and over the mountain infront. We use solar, the sun shines a lot there, and hot. UV easily reaches above 11. The water comes from a river, the spring is high in the mountains. The water is filtered through the mountains, and it's pure and full of minerals. We had it tested and it's cleaner than Valpré's water. The road is off grid, and it's far from civilization.
The farm's name is Wilhelmnina, named after the previous farmers wife (They lived there about a hundred years ago)
@maggie3fan the last time I was there was about three years ago, sadly I don't live there, but that would be the life!
Some imagesIMG-20211214-WA0055.jpgIMG-20211214-WA0049.jpgIMG-20211214-WA0042.jpgIMG-20211214-WA0040.jpg
This is at the back of the house. There are 6 pools or ponds of water, like 6 swimming poolsIMG-20211214-WA0039.jpg
These are sewejaartjies (seven years) if you cut them by the stem and hang them upside down, they'll last forever, they dry out and become paper like (you also get white ones)IMG-20211214-WA0038.jpgIMG-20211214-WA0029.jpg
The road to it has kosmos, a flower that comes from MexicoIMG-20211214-WA0028.jpg
IMG-20211029-WA0003.jpg
The left mountain is called Suikerbosberg, the right is Proteaberg (both names we made up)
Suikerbosberg has suikerbos (sugarbush) plantsIMG-20211214-WA0027.jpgIMG-20211214-WA0026.jpg
Proteaberg has proteas, perhaps I should make a thread and post some photos of our farm...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If you follow the fence, everything on the left, up and over the mountain infront. We use solar, the sun shines a lot there, and hot. UV easily reaches above 11. The water comes from a river, the spring is high in the mountains. The water is filtered through the mountains, and it's pure and full of minerals. We had it tested and it's cleaner than Valpré's water. The road is off grid, and it's far from civilization.
The farm's name is Wilhelmnina, named after the previous farmers wife (They lived there about a hundred years ago)
@maggie3fan the last time I was there was about three years ago, sadly I don't live there, but that would be the life!
Some imagesView attachment 337502View attachment 337503View attachment 337504View attachment 337505
This is at the back of the house. There are 6 pools or ponds of water, like 6 swimming poolsView attachment 337506
These are sewejaartjies (seven years) if you cut them by the stem and hang them upside down, they'll last forever, they dry out and become paper like (you also get white ones)View attachment 337507View attachment 337508
The road to it has kosmos, a flower that comes from MexicoView attachment 337509
View attachment 337512
The left mountain is called Suikerbosberg, the right is Proteaberg (both names we made up)
Suikerbosberg has suikerbos (sugarbush) plantsView attachment 337510View attachment 337511
Proteaberg has proteas, perhaps I should make a thread and post some photos of our farm...
Ya think??????????????????? Do you live in that house? I am fascinated...how do you have electricity there? or do you? Man...I am packing my suitcase (with Mary K)...

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Ya think??????????????????? Do you live in that house? I am fascinated...how do you have electricity there? or do you? Man...I am packing my suitcase (with Mary K)...
Mary K will love it! The grass tastes almost sweet, and the cows feast on it. (Yes, that house is called Wilhelmnina, it was buildt over the river and has a small waterfall beneath it)
We use solar pannels for electricity, we have used water and wind turbines, but it had flooded so bad once that the turbine (which wayed about 250kg) was swept down the river to the edge of the property fence. The wind turbine disintegrated when the winds took up, the winds there can be extreme sometimes
I want one proteas? Think they would live in rain 7 months a year?
Sure, the suikerbosse love water. Sometimes in Winter it snows and easily gets to -7C or below 20F. Sometimes in summer it gets 32C and the UV is above extreme, so they can withstand almost anything, so they'll flourish where you are

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Mary K will love it! The grass tastes almost sweet, and the cows feast on it.
We use solar pannels for electricity, we have used water and wind turbines, but it had flooded so bad once that the turbine (which wayed about 250kg) was swept down the river to the edge of the property fence. The wind turbine disintegrated when the winds took up, the winds there can be extreme sometimes

Sure, the suikerbosse love water. Sometimes in Winter it snows and easily gets to -7C or below 20F. Sometimes in summer it gets 32C and the UV is above extreme, so they can withstand almost anything, so they'll flourish where you are
If you wanted to go to the store...how far is that? Looks like a Range Rover or Jeep next to the house...guess it's a dirt road and my little Camaro wouldn't do well...lol thanks so much for the photos...I suggest you make a thread for showing us scenery and post some more photos...please100_4907.JPG

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes the variant has hit the U.S. hard. We saw the first death from the variant a couple of days ago. What's not being accurately reported is the # of deaths of vaccine recipients from the vaccine. Or that the vaccines do not prevent the vaccinated from coming down with the variant.
They tell us that the booster is our best form of defence against the new variant. We know that even if vaccinated we could still get covid but it will be much milder and not need hospitalising in the majority of cases which seems to be right. My family members who work in hospitals have said most people that are being hospitalised tend to be younger people who wouldn't have the jab. There are always exceptions e.g people with undiagnosed health problems that could have the jabs but still be seriously ill. Nobody can a cast iron guarantee though.:(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes. I didn't see any news of the new variant causing a death. With all the gloom and doom reporting they seem to have glossed over that fact. Only that they don't know much about it yet. I've had COVID and I'm vaccinated but I still don't trust that I can't give it to someone I love if I come down with a "mild case" of it. Or even the delta variant. I have seen that they finally are admitting that vaccinated can still get it. But who wouldn't know that and if they get it they are infectious to others. So stay home if you don't feel well. But again there's that weird period of time when you don't understand that you may be infectious and try to keep carrying on. My sister in law has been living with 3 different people unvaccinated over this whole year that tested positive (at different times) and has just now came down with it herself finally. I'm wondering and hoping that she built up some antibodies just by being exposed so many times and will not wind up with ? a bad case.?
I hope she's Ok Cathie.
We've only had one death from Omicron reported so far. - one too many:(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Darn currently unavailable ? I will look elsewhere.
I don't know if it would be the same in the US but pharmacies and some supermarkets stock TENS machines here. I also have an infra red massage wand that helps with muscle pain too.