COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I don't know what's keeping me awake - but I find the more you think about not being able to sleep the less you are likely to be able to do it so it's better to be doing something. I have heard that you should do something like the ironing - but I'm not that desperate to sleep!!!
Try cooking then but that would be just down right desperate sleep right ? maybe count recipes instead of sheep ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well just as well I wasn't intending on going to any parties tonight, the cousin I met up with on Monday contacted me to say that she and her partner had tested positive for covid.

They had 2 negative lateral flow tests this week but managed to also have a PCR because they'd spent Xmas Day with someone with covid and the results today were positive. They've no symptoms except runny nose and a scratchy throat.

So she rang me because although we met up outdoors in a park in Monday, because it started to pour down I gave her a short lift home - a few hundred yards only and both mask wearing with windows open. So I'm hoping I haven't caught it. I did a LFT today which was negative but they don't seem that reliable so I may see if I can get a PCR as well. Luckily I haven't been in close contact with anyone since Monday and I cancelled a meal with my nephew tonight.

I'll just have to isolate and wait and see. Fingers crossed I'll be fine but to be honest I think it's highly likely we'll all get it at some point - hopefully the jabs will keep it mild.

Not a great end to the year!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well just as well I wasn't intending on going to any parties tonight, the cousin I met up with on Monday contacted me to say that she and her partner had tested positive for covid.

They had 2 negative lateral flow tests this week but managed to also have a PCR because they'd spent Xmas Day with someone with covid and the results today were positive. They've no symptoms except runny nose and a scratchy throat.

So she rang me because although we met up outdoors in a park in Monday, because it started to pour down I gave her a short lift home - a few hundred yards only and both mask wearing with windows open. So I'm hoping I haven't caught it. I did a LFT today which was negative but they don't seem that reliable so I may see if I can get a PCR as well. Luckily I haven't been in close contact with anyone since Monday and I cancelled a meal with my nephew tonight.

I'll just have to isolate and wait and see. Fingers crossed I'll be fine but to be honest I think it's highly likely we'll all get it at some point - hopefully the jabs will keep it mild.

My daughter in law and grandson have it and both are vaccinated because they work in health care. My son, her husband is not vaccinated and so far nothing for him. But I've seen this before. People living in the same house and one person getting it but no one else. Over the past year the four people in one of my other brothers homes have had it. But only one at a time and not close enough that they gave it to their family member. I just think that between the vaccinations and the repeated exposures without catching it allows a person to build up immunity to avoid a bad case. Over time we will get to herd immunity ?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
My daughter in law and grandson have it and both are vaccinated because they work in health care. My son, her husband is not vaccinated and so far nothing for him. But I've seen this before. People living in the same house and one person getting it but no one else. Over the past year the four people in one of my other brothers homes have had it. But only one at a time and not close enough that they gave it to their family member. I just think that between the vaccinations and the repeated exposures without catching it allows a person to build up immunity to avoid a bad case. Over time we will get to herd immunity ?
?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yikes…. ???. Hope all is negative! I haven’t been near anyone except my hip surgeon & his assistant for many weeks. Strange new World. Fingers crossed that things will improve across the Globe in 2022. I have a new passport that NEEDS some of Europe! Portugal, Italy, maybe the Balkans or Baltics, or southern England, maybe Scotland, or Turkey, even Greece. See - i have it narrowed down. ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yikes…. ???. Hope all is negative! I haven’t been near anyone except my hip surgeon & his assistant for many weeks. Strange new World. Fingers crossed that things will improve across the Globe in 2022. I have a new passport that NEEDS some of Europe! Portugal, Italy, maybe the Balkans or Baltics, or southern England, maybe Scotland, or Turkey, even Greece. See - i have it narrowed down. ?
Travelling is very risky again at the moment. According to Eurostar, France has banned all British people from travelling across it to get home or to work unless they are French citizens and classed us as a Third World Country. The French Gov. hadn't confirmed that when I read it so I must google it to see if it's true. British/French relations are pretty dire at the moment so wouldn't surprise me if it is.
I hope you eventually manage to get to all the countries on your list. I'm quite happy to stay home!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy S. African New Year to @TheLastGreen
(they're 2 hours ahead of the UK so will just be starting 2022).
Hope you're having fun with the family tonight!!!
There was an interesting article on the news today about other countries calendars and who celebrates our new year and those that don't. One is in the year 2078 already and they don't. And I think it was Australia that already set off an amazing fireworks display so it truely is a 24 hour celebration woohoo ????? Happier New Year!!! I'll be sitting at home and Joe will wake me up to watch the ball drop in time's square New York City as usual. Yeah!!! we made it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
There was an interesting article on the news today about other countries calendars and who celebrates our new year and those that don't. One is in the year 2078 already and they don't. And I think it was Australia that already set off an amazing fireworks display so it truely is a 24 hour celebration woohoo ????? Happier New Year!!! I'll be sitting at home and Joe will wake me up to watch the ball drop in time's square New York City as usual. Yeah!!! we made it.

2078 ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes I know right. But that's what they said.,? I wish I'd listened better so I could remember the country's name. It was a news article on the world news this morning.CNN There's only a few countries in the world that don't celebrate the New Year that everyone else does. That was one of them. I'll try to find it again.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes I know right. But that's what they said.,? I wish I'd listened better so I could remember the country's name. It was a news article on the world news this morning.CNN There's only a few countries in the world that don't celebrate the New Year that everyone else does. That was one of them. I'll try to find it again.?
I was wrong it's CBS and I can't find the story so far. But it truely was interesting. Israel celebrates 2? New Years days.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I was wrong it's CBS and I can't find the story so far. But it truely was interesting. Israel celebrates 2? New Years days.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just turned midnight here, so welcome 2022. :)
Lets hope we'll have a better year!
Fireworks going off but otherwise pretty quiet.
Happy New Year again!

(That was an hour ago - been on the phone since!)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2022.

It’s unseasonably warm here… 13C (55F) at midnight on New Year’s Eve is unheard of!

Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you and your family too Linda!
I've had very long phone call from one of my sisters and her family just after midnight - but 2022 will last all year!
Hope you had a good night tonight and Xmas

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yep I just now found it but I still have not found the news article ? Nepali!,?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm sure there are some countries with different systems.
The Chinese New Year isn't until some time in Jan or Feb.
Will be interesting to find out which country is in 2078 though.