COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I like warm. Cold, not so much. How I made it through 13 years of winters in Dallas and Reno is something I can’t or refuse to remember ?
It's been 21° all day here and now it's down to 17. The furnace is blasting and the house is 77° but I've still got a blanket around my shoulders. I even have double layers on. It's ridiculous. I can't get warm when it's that cold outside. The heat is different when it's from a furnace.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
It's been 21° all day here and now it's down to 17. The furnace is blasting and the house is 77° but I've still got a blanket around my shoulders. I even have double layers on. It's ridiculous. I can't get warm when it's that cold outside. The heat is different when it's from a furnace.
I have my wood burner in the back half of the house, while I'm waiting for it to "kick in" I have a milk house heater that I use in front of me to warm my legs till the room heats up.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I have a friend who's Forced air furnace does not work, and waits till the inside of the house gets 42°, before starting her wood burner, since she has limited wood supply.
I have offered to look at her heater, as I was a Heating Tech. for 10 years @ NAS Alameda. But that offer fell on deaf ears. . .

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have a friend who's Forced air furnace does not work, and waits till the inside of the house gets 42°, before starting her wood burner, since she has limited wood supply.
I have offered to look at her heater, as I was a Heating Tech. for 10 years @ NAS Alameda. But that offer fell on deaf ears. . .
She should definitely take you up on your very kind offer.
I wish I had friends with practical skills that could help me out.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

idk, some people just default to declining help. I would prob just show up and have a look at it.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I have offered several times over the last few years, she was even having prob's with her wood burner smoking up the inside of the house, Spent a Saturday, disassembling , inspecting and reassembling the wood burner to diagnose. Had cleaned the Flue, and upper area of the Stove, was NOT terrible, but determined the prob lied in the fact that the Flue was too short and dis not create enough "Draft". Spec'd out a supplier and had her p/u another 3" section of flue, installed that, and the smoke situ, was resolved.
To get back to the repair, she has very little $ and thus, does not want to be indebted, for my free work, she has other issues to deal with also, but she's a nice lady, and I help when she lets me...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
Another wet day - but at least it's not snow.

Lola's Nutrazu has arrived and I've soaked a few pellets for him but so far no interest in it shown at all. I put one soggy pellet in the middle of his leaves, but he walked away from all of it. It's going to have be a very gradual introduction but I have the time and patience. Maybe I'll try soaking some in cucumber juice or spread some on his opuntia to tempt him.

I hope you all have a good Saturday.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have offered several times over the last few years, she was even having prob's with her wood burner smoking up the inside of the house, Spent a Saturday, disassembling , inspecting and reassembling the wood burner to diagnose. Had cleaned the Flue, and upper area of the Stove, was NOT terrible, but determined the prob lied in the fact that the Flue was too short and dis not create enough "Draft". Spec'd out a supplier and had her p/u another 3" section of flue, installed that, and the smoke situ, was resolved.
To get back to the repair, she has very little $ and thus, does not want to be indebted, for my free work, she has other issues to deal with also, but she's a nice lady, and I help when she lets me...
I can understand that I'm very independent too, but I think I'd be less so if I was cold!
I hope she stays warm enough.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I am blessed!
To have had a dad that did a lot of manual work, he was an advertising manager by day, and craftsman by weekend. He built a brick 2 car garage, a small sail boat, Plywood boxes to house all our car camping gear among other things.
I learned a lot from him, that translated into getting a job at a local Hardware store, before the big Box stores showed up. That got me into the trades. I'm a Lead on Nextdoor and offer my services as often as I can to my neighbors, just pay for parts.
I just just stay busy, by word of mouth.
I love challenges, now that I'm retired from the Sewer District, and don't have technical problems to figure out.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am blessed!
To have had a dad that did a lot of manual work, he was an advertising manager by day, and craftsman by weekend. He built a brick 2 car garage, a small sail boat, Plywood boxes to house all our car camping gear among other things.
I learned a lot from him, that translated into getting a job at a local Hardware store, before the big Box stores showed up. That got me into the trades. I'm a Lead on Nextdoor and offer my services as often as I can to my neighbors, just pay for parts.
I love challenges, now that I'm retired from the Sewer District, and don't have technical problems to figure out.
I learnt a lot of the basics of DIY and car maintenance from my Dad too - he was a very handy man. I was never interested in helping my Mum in the kitchen which is why I'm a better painter than cook!! But I'm equally messy at both! :)

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I learnt a lot of the basics of DIY and car maintenance from my Dad too - he was a very handy man. I was never interested in helping my Mum in the kitchen which is why I'm a better painter than cook!! But I'm equally messy at both! :)
I am not handy at anything, but hubby is. I am a pro at making messes, especially when painting or cooking.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
?
I love wood burners. That is all I miss about Michigan winters.
I like them too, but some of my neighbors are not fond of them. I stay aware of the "spare the air" days here in the Bay Area.
When an inversion layer makes it way in, it holds the smoke down low and can make the area stinky.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning/afternoon all.
Another wet day - but at least it's not snow.

Lola's Nutrazu has arrived and I've soaked a few pellets for him but so far no interest in it shown at all. I put one soggy pellet in the middle of his leaves, but he walked away from all of it. It's going to have be a very gradual introduction but I have the time and patience. Maybe I'll try soaking some in cucumber juice or spread some on his opuntia to tempt him.

I hope you all have a good Saturday.
If I put Sapphire's vitamin drops on a chunk of zucchini he'll eat it ? and his Mazuri LS I can mix around in his salad. It's little tiny bits. For some reason he doesn't mind the smell of it and eats. That's the first one I've been able to get him to eat and not waltz away from his food tile completely.?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If I put Sapphire's vitamin drops on a chunk of zucchini he'll eat it ? and his Mazuri LS I can mix around in his salad. It's little tiny bits. For some reason he doesn't mind the smell of it and eats. That's the first one I've been able to get him to eat and not waltz away from his food tile completely.?
Wow that's great Shappire is LS. I have never tried giving to Opo. I understand it's better for them than the 5m21.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe you could talk her into letting you just diagnose the problem. It could be something so simple and easy because those type of furnaces are simple. The last problem I had with my old old old furnace was the plumber had worked close to it. The electric cord wasn't plugged all the way in ? when they left. Mine has a fan ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow that's great Shappire is LS. I have never tried giving to Opo. I understand it's better for them than the 5m21.
Yes I am really happy about it. The one for small tortoises is little tiny bits that soften real easy and they obviously don't smell bad to him because he'll go ahead and eat. Usually he'll just walk away if there's something that he doesn't like the smell of it.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I am blessed!
My dad always had me help with certain car repairs because my hands are small and I can reach things men can't ? with their big paws ?