COLD DARK ROOM

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Well...if it wants to rain today it will be my turn for snow because it's been in the 20's f all day. The weather man is calling for snow but that doesn't always mean it will hit my area.woohoo?❄️ either way I'll be sitting here trying to stay warm.
I like warm. Cold, not so much. How I made it through 13 years of winters in Dallas and Reno is something I can’t or refuse to remember ?

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
The rain has finally stopped!
Xmas stuff away, asthma review done - just a 'how have you been?' conversation - and a pile of ironing done.
I've ordered some Nutrazu (UK Mazuri) for Lola. I found somewhere online that does smaller bags of it. I didn't want to get a sack of it in case he turned his nose up at it - he's not tried it before, and I didn't fancy eating it for breakfast for the next few months!
So I've had quite a productive day.
Snoopy loved the Mazuri LS soaked in hibiscus water, he’d go crazy for the stuff! Since he’s come back he won’t even touch it. I really wonder what happened in those 5 months that he was away ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It's probably the humane society. Maybe they've started that program all over the US. I hope. My city has a problem with feral cats and so that program was instituted. A lot of people actually go around feeding them on their own. It is a more humane way of dealing with the problem than just rounding them up and euthanizing them.?
I agree, getting them fixed and then letting them go back in the wild makes sense to me. Other than killing them.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Mary Knobbins had a baby!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It breaks my heart, too. That & the lady rescuing 2 torts from a friend & they have severe MBD or whatever the initials are & one is walking on his knees.

I will never understand the cruelty to animals thing
I am on and off about getting that tort. Right now it is a no from Rose. If I wasn't getting a pool, I would probably do it. But with the pool Opo is going to lose some backyard space. I couldn't split the remaining space between 2 torts.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Snoopy loved the Mazuri LS soaked in hibiscus water, he’d go crazy for the stuff! Since he’s come back he won’t even touch it. I really wonder what happened in those 5 months that he was away ?
Lola has always refused to eat any pellets I've tried him with before, but I'm always trying to improve his winter diet so I'm hoping he'll like this stuff. He loves opuntia which is very good for torts, but that has to be rationed because of its laxative effect.
Sounds like Snoopy had quite a walk on the wild side and his tastes have changed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am on and off about getting that tort. Right now it is a no from Rose. If I wasn't getting a pool, I would probably do it. But with the pool Opo is going to lose some backyard space. I couldn't split the remaining space between 2 torts.
He would certainly have a good life with you Ray but you have to be practical. I doubt that Opo would be very understanding ??

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all
Today it is grey and cold here.
Nothing much in the diary for me today, just a visit to the shop for Lola's supplies.
My old sofa needs replacing so I might chop it up later so that I can take it to the tip in the car, but even though it's shabby it's so comfy I will miss it. Maybe I should order a new one before I demolish the old. ? That would make more sense.
Anyway I hope you all have a good Friday.
TTFN

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good morning/afternoon all
Today it is grey and cold here.
Nothing much in the diary for me today, just a visit to the shop for Lola's supplies.
My old sofa needs replacing so I might chop it up later so that I can take it to the tip in the car, but even though it's shabby it's so comfy I will miss it. Maybe I should order a new one before I demolish the old. ? That would make more sense.
Anyway I hope you all have a good Friday.
TTFN

Yes, wait ‘til you get the new sofa! We got rid of an old soft sofa last year by cutting & dismantling the entire thing over a few days. I cut up & saved a lot of the internal very strong laminated wood. All the faux leather & batting, rolled up & in the bin. The hardest part was carefully destressing the metal springs that were fastened very securely. We do have bulk trash pick up but it needs to be scheduled months in advance & now with COVID the schedule is dodgy (at best).

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I like warm. Cold, not so much. How I made it through 13 years of winters in Dallas and Reno is something I can’t or refuse to remember ?

So, how in the heck did you make the permanent “big move” from mainland to Hawaii? I know a lot of USG military & civilians who were posted there for a few years….but not anyone who stayed. So, pros, cons - hey no snow, no cold, no heating or a/c bills (or very minimal).

I relocated to Monterey (CA) for two years - hardly ever used heat - my apartment had no a/c (never needed it). Heating & cooling expenses are major household monthly costs.

Its 27 degrees here this morning….3-5 inches of fresh new powdery snow. ❄️❄️

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
So, how in the heck did you make the permanent “big move” from mainland to Hawaii? I know a lot of USG military & civilians who were posted there for a few years….but not anyone who stayed. So, pros, cons - hey no snow, no cold, no heating or a/c bills (or very minimal).

I relocated to Monterey (CA) for two years - hardly ever used heat - my apartment had no a/c (never needed it). Heating & cooling expenses are major household monthly costs.

Its 27 degrees here this morning….3-5 inches of fresh new powdery snow. ❄️❄️
I was born and raised in Hawaii and at 17 thought I knew everything, didnʻt need my parents telling me what to do so moved to Austin, TX. My friendʻs brother was there, and let me stay with him. As things go when you are young, I met my first ex-husband and moved to Dallas. After that soured, I met another man and we moved to Reno. It was cold, there was just a huge earthquake in California so good jobs were hard to find. After struggling there for a couple of years we decided to back to Dallas, where I made him my second ex-husband. (so all my exes really do live in Texas) I didnʻt really have any friends there, so it made sense to move back home. My parents were getting older, and I wanted to be around family.

Itʻs beautiful here, the weather is nice, but beauty sure doesnʻt pay the bills! The median price for a house here is 1.2 million. I saw a show the other day where a couple was hemming and hawing on buying a beautiful house because it was 270K. For that money here, you could get one wall of a grass shack with cockroaches holding hands to keep the wall up ?

So that is the long answer to your simple question lol

Itʻs currently 73F, I have a long-sleeved shirt, a sweater, long pants, and covered shoes on. ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Guys…?
HELP!!!!
HELP!!!!!!
HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!
I just went on “Craigslist / northern NJ”
Looked on pets and saw THIS SH**!!!!!

The horror of it all!!!!!!
WHY?…WHY????…. WWHHYYYY DO PEOPLE NOT SEE THAT THERE IS SOMETHING NOT RIGHT HERE!!!!??
Someone HAS to get this poor baby !!! ?????
@Yvonne G I am struggling not getting this tortoise. Do you think it has MBD, Kidney failure or anything else you might think of.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne G I am struggling not getting this tortoise. Do you think it has MBD, Kidney failure or anything else you might think of.
Well, in the first place they're calling it a spur thigh and we know it's a sulcata. Then they say female, but it's not big enough yet to know that for sure. It may have Mbd, but usually those this far gone are starting to have collapsing shells and the one looks firm, but hard to tell for sure. Be sure it's really ok with your wife before you make a decision with your heart. She's the one to bear the brunt of the care for two separate sulcata yards.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I was born and raised in Hawaii and at 17 thought I knew everything, didnʻt need my parents telling me what to do so moved to Austin, TX. My friendʻs brother was there, and let me stay with him. As things go when you are young, I met my first ex-husband and moved to Dallas. After that soured, I met another man and we moved to Reno. It was cold, there was just a huge earthquake in California so good jobs were hard to find. After struggling there for a couple of years we decided to back to Dallas, where I made him my second ex-husband. (so all my exes really do live in Texas) I didnʻt really have any friends there, so it made sense to move back home. My parents were getting older, and I wanted to be around family.

Itʻs beautiful here, the weather is nice, but beauty sure doesnʻt pay the bills! The median price for a house here is 1.2 million. I saw a show the other day where a couple was hemming and hawing on buying a beautiful house because it was 270K. For that money here, you could get one wall of a grass shack with cockroaches holding hands to keep the wall up ?

So that is the long answer to your simple question lol

Itʻs currently 73F, I have a long-sleeved shirt, a sweater, long pants, and covered shoes on. ?

Aaaagh, all that makes sense ?. It’s been sunny & cold all day today, it’s back to about 26. Another good day for indoor projects.

Yesterday I finished up this little bowl & started on another one. This is all from (free) wood that I picked up earlier this year.

3EA8C0E4-C967-4C13-B4DF-49CDF5087C77.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well, in the first place they're calling it a spur thigh and we know it's a sulcata. Then they say female, but it's not big enough yet to know that for sure. It may have Mbd, but usually those this far gone are starting to have collapsing shells and the one looks firm, but hard to tell for sure. Be sure it's really ok with your wife before you make a decision with your heart. She's the one to bear the brunt of the care for two separate sulcata yards
Exactly, the condition of the tort. I would definitely be prepared that the lifecycle might be short.