COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Like many here no doubt, I love seeing the places you guys go in your kayaks. We always love seeing folks who really value what we have here.

We didn't have kayaks as kids, we had canoes. I loved the instant freedom of a kayak but try as I did, I could never get the right angle for stroking a kayak comfortably. Kerry and I have gone up on the Shenandoah and I can still paddle a canoe all day but get tired quickly in the kayak her son left at her house. Weird huh? Even with the emphysema, paddling a canoe doesn't fatigue me....just one of those things I guess.

So, I found my solution if I was going to use her kayak............LMAO

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQRH2VC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
View attachment 345790

No, not really....we've decided a 12' or 14' will be fine for us both....what do you think on the length? No camping, just playing on the water. I even looked at the inflatables and foldables.....but a canoe will work well for us as long as she doesn't dog it on the loading and loading on the roof! LOL

If you are just going out in calm waters that feed the Bay and a few reservoirs, Id say just get 14footer. They are long enough to provide speed & stability. Stay away from foldables & inflatables. Ive been on many paddles where someone insists his/her inflatable/foldable is fine….but they take so much time to properly put together & are so much slower.

Pro Tip - stay away from buying a tandem. Double trouble.

Look at the Wilderness Systems kayaks in the 12-14 ft range. Comfy, stable. http://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/kayaks/pungo-125

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I really appreciate your insight, thanks for taking the time. I have worked out that as you say, the cheap ones, are cheap ones and the price of flexibility is too high with the added time, less confidence, more drag etc.

I completely understand the Pro tip.....but I REALLY don't want to have to mess with 2 boats. I can get Kerry a shock collar(shhh, don't tell her I said that), but I don't want to have to lug and store two.

Definitely a canoe for us.......& we'll have to deal with the weight penalty when tossing it up on the truck. I like the accessory that Blackdog posted....looks real handy for starting it up on an Expedition. 14' at least sounds like Kerry will be out of my paddle reach when she crossbows when she's supposed to be bowrudder'ing........come to think of it, we've gone out together several times.....and I think we got wet each time! It's kind of the fun of it for us.....she's lucky that apparently God gave me infinite patience with her...I guess someone had to get the short stick....LOL

I'm sore and tired....got home and pressure washed my side of neighbors fence and both sides of mine along with the North side of the house and the trash cans....and I woke up b4 midnight last night....TGIF!!!!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I really appreciate your insight, thanks for taking the time. I have worked out that as you say, the cheap ones, are cheap ones and the price of flexibility is too high with the added time, less confidence, more drag etc.

I completely understand the Pro tip.....but I REALLY don't want to have to mess with 2 boats. I can get Kerry a shock collar(shhh, don't tell her I said that), but I don't want to have to lug and store two.

Definitely a canoe for us.......& we'll have to deal with the weight penalty when tossing it up on the truck. I like the accessory that Blackdog posted....looks real handy for starting it up on an Expedition. 14' at least sounds like Kerry will be out of my paddle reach when she crossbows when she's supposed to be bowrudder'ing........come to think of it, we've gone out together several times.....and I think we got wet each time! It's kind of the fun of it for us.....she's lucky that apparently God gave me infinite patience with her...I guess someone had to get the short stick....LOL

I'm sore and tired....got home and pressure washed my side of neighbors fence and both sides of mine along with the North side of the house and the trash cans....and I woke up b4 midnight last night....TGIF!!!!
You could always get a carbon fiber canoe if weight is that important 🤔

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good evening (or even morning here).
I've taken in a baby bird that had fallen or been thrown out of its nest in a neighbours eaves. It doesn't have all it's feathers so it's not fledged. There was no way we could get it back in the nest or leave it on the pavement (sidewalk), so I offered to take it and set up a heat lamp for it. It's very weak but breathing and pooping. At least it's safe and warm. If it survives the night I'll take it to a bird rescue tomorrow.
This is where I need advice from @JoesMum - if it wants food before they're open what do I give it ? I think it's a starling but not entirely sure. I have a tray of dog food here and dried cat food which I could moisten and mash up but are they suitable for starling chicks as an emergency feed?
Hopefully Linda will see that in the morning.

I hope you've all had a good couple of days since I was last here, I've been busy shopping for my sister's birthday and sorting out some copies of photos of her for her kids to stick on bunting. The weather's been a bit wet but it suits me fine.
Anyway I'm going to try and get some sleep before I have to be up checking on my patient. So Nos Da and take care.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon.
A very breezy day here - we've been getting the remnants of the Florida storms this week. My niece has been there working for the week and is due home today, so I expect she's experienced it first hand. I hope none of our members were affected by the floods or damage. You OK @Ray--Opo and @ZEROPILOT ?

We've had some wet spells and Lola has just come running in - he didn't like the sudden, but short downfall.:)

Sadly the little bird didn't make it through the night, I was checking him every half hour but by 3 am he'd died.:( He was very weak and didn't seem to be able to open his eyes or lift his head. When he moved he seemed to topple and twist himself. I wonder if he damaged his neck when he fell - poor thing.

I hope you're all having a good Saturday where you are.
See you later.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Good morning/afternoon.
A very breezy day here - we've been getting the remnants of the Florida storms this week. My niece has been there working for the week and is due home today, so I expect she's experienced it first hand. I hope none of our members were affected by the floods or damage. You OK @Ray--Opo and @ZEROPILOT ?

We've had some wet spells and Lola has just come running in - he didn't like the sudden, but short downfall.:)

Sadly the little bird didn't make it through the night, I was checking him every half hour but by 3 am he'd died.:( He was very weak and didn't seem to be able to open his eyes or lift his head. When he moved he seemed to topple and twist himself. I wonder if he damaged his neck when he fell - poor thing.

See you later.
Thank you ma'am for thinking about me.
It was just a lot of rain...And since it's already the start of our rainy season, that just meant a little more of what we get every day. Rain.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evening (or even morning here).
I've taken in a baby bird that had fallen or been thrown out of its nest in a neighbours eaves. It doesn't have all it's feathers so it's not fledged. There was no way we could get it back in the nest or leave it on the pavement (sidewalk), so I offered to take it and set up a heat lamp for it. It's very weak but breathing and pooping. At least it's safe and warm. If it survives the night I'll take it to a bird rescue tomorrow.
This is where I need advice from @JoesMum - if it wants food before they're open what do I give it ? I think it's a starling but not entirely sure. I have a tray of dog food here and dried cat food which I could moisten and mash up but are they suitable for starling chicks as an emergency feed?
Hopefully Linda will see that in the morning.

I hope you've all had a good couple of days since I was last here, I've been busy shopping for my sister's birthday and sorting out some copies of photos of her for her kids to stick on bunting. The weather's been a bit wet but it suits me fine.
Anyway I'm going to try and get some sleep before I have to be up checking on my patient. So Nos Da and take care.
Unfortunately I have seen this too late. I am so sorry. I got up atthe crack of dawn and have been out all day :(

This chart explains the initial steps
22D6A824-570D-479D-9911-C8C836937A7F.jpeg
Assuming it has to go to rescue, then pop it in a box somewhere warm and quiet until you can get it there.

You can offer water by dipping an artist’s brush or cotton bud in water and dabbing it gently on the side of the beak toward the tip. Be careful as it is easy to drown the bird. Don’t try to feed the bird as that definitely needs training and chances are it will choke.

If you don’t know where your nearest rescue is, Help Wildlife has a database online that you can search

I am sorry this little one didn’t make it :(

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good morning/afternoon.

See you later.
Sorry to hear about the little bird.
We were at the very northern edge of the storm. We got about 24 hours of steady rain. Not a heavy downpour though. We were so dry here that this sandy soil soaked it right up. We have been getting our afternoon showers almost everyday now.😁
I am glad I blocked off Opo's burrow, because it caved in. I will send a picture tomorrow.
Hope everyone else is doing good. After our trip to the Florida Keys. I have been busy building Opo's new nightbox. We will be driving to Michigan starting July 5. So I need to get it done. It's only been a year long project. 😖😖

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Good morning/afternoon.

See you later.
Lyn, I am so sorry the little bird did not make it. Your intentions were so good too.
Oh, this makes me so sad. 😞☹️
I will put a prayer in for him tonight for sure.
Thank you with all of my heart for trying.
Most people just walk right by an animal in distress. I am honored to know someone who will help these defenseless creatures.
🙏🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️❤️

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Unfortunately I have seen this too late. I am so sorry. I got up atthe crack of dawn and have been out all day :(

This chart explains the initial steps
View attachment 345895
Assuming it has to go to rescue, then pop it in a box somewhere warm and quiet until you can get it there.

You can offer water by dipping an artist’s brush or cotton bud in water and dabbing it gently on the side of the beak toward the tip. Be careful as it is easy to drown the bird. Don’t try to feed the bird as that definitely needs training and chances are it will choke.

If you don’t know where your nearest rescue is, Help Wildlife has a database online that you can search

I am sorry this little one didn’t make it :(
Thanks Linda, it wasn't looking good from the start.
We have a bird rescue centre not too far away and contacted them but it was too late in the evening to take him, but that's where he would have gone if he'd survived the night, anyway I gave it a chance.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning and Happy Sunday to you all.
It's a nice day here again but still quite windy and it looks as if we may have a quick shower, but this morning was really nice Lola was outside quite early - usually he waits until midday before venturing out but he was out by 09.30 today.
No special plans today but some tidying in the garden is needed so I'll go potter around out there.
I hope you all have a peaceful day.
TTFN

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Good morning and Happy Sunday to you all.
It's a nice day here again but still quite windy and it looks as if we may have a quick shower, but this morning was really nice Lola was outside quite early - usually he waits until midday before venturing out but he was out by 09.30 today.
No special plans today but some tidying in the garden is needed so I'll go potter around out there.
I hope you all have a peaceful day.
TTFN
Ah, Best part of the day . . futzing in the garden. 🌱🌺🌼

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... I've been feeling so much better that I went crazy and did a bunch of stuff 😂 so the past week I payed for it with pain 24 hours a day even with Tylenol. I can't take most painkillers because I'm allergic to aspirin so I did what I could. Ask me if I care.!I had good fun and got er done 😊 Today I'm winning. Pains going going and I accomplished it anyhoo. I'm proud of myself 🤗 I'm thinking of asking my doctor if he knows of a duct tape for elderly old ladies though 😁

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Well... I've been feeling so much better that I went crazy and did a bunch of stuff 😂 so the past week I payed for it with pain 24 hours a day even with Tylenol. I can't take most painkillers because I'm allergic to aspirin so I did what I could. Ask me if I care.!I had good fun and got er done 😊 Today I'm winning. Pains going going and I accomplished it anyhoo. I'm proud of myself 🤗 I'm thinking of asking my doctor if he knows of a duct tape for elderly old ladies though 😁
It's a wonder we survived to an older age when you think about all the things you did as a kid up thru your fifties. I ran in a harrier (sp?) race during a snowstorm climbing over fences & a bridge & I didn't kill myself & finished the race. But now, forgetta bout it!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good afternoon everyone. Quick question. Should wisteria and Emeraldas shells harden by now? I believe they are around 2 months old but their shell is still really soft. Like it hasn't hardened at all.
Probably best to post the question in a different thread.
Are these turtles or tortoises you are referring to?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good afternoon everyone. Quick question. Should wisteria and Emeraldas shells harden by now? I believe they are around 2 months old but their shell is still really soft. Like it hasn't hardened at all.
I am confused ( which isn't hard to do)
Are you talking turtles or torts or flowers?
🤔🤔