COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
This is the thinned out mess in the tree on one small part of the crab apple monster. What's really nice though is when I see someone grab themselves an apple when they walk past. Less for me to clean up 😁 crab apples make good jelly and even pies.IMG_20230612_173607497_HDR.jpg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
We are headed to Jamaica Ray. I love it there and now Kerry does too. We go a lot of places and always stay somewhere different if we go back to a place. This will be the 1st time we are staying at the same place we stayed before, in '17. Sunset at the Palms. I don't like Big-box resorts/hotels made of concrete and this place is nearly prefect for us. Next time we might do one of the Caves hotels for fun if we come back again.

There were a couple things I did not like, no coffee in rooms and while the coffee bars on site are fantastic, they don't open till 6am. This is a problem for those of us up all night....Yesterday I cried out "Mr Bezo's, what do you have for me? " Bam! I tried it when it arrived this afternoon, it works perfectly! They are rubber....and compress! I packed 18 1/4cups each of coffee, creamer and sugar.
20230612_153908.jpg
d2.JPG

The other issue was light bulbs....yeah, I know right? But yes, the accommodations were pretty dark...so yes, I packed 2 led lights.

Want to see a pic of Kerry last time she was there?
SAM_4316.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_4279.JPG
    SAM_4279.JPG
    770.1 KB · Views: 2

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
We are headed to Jamaica Ray. I love it there and now Kerry does too. We go a lot of places and always stay somewhere different if we go back to a place. This will be the 1st time we are staying at the same place we stayed before, in '17. Sunset at the Palms. I don't like Big-box resorts/hotels made of concrete and this place is nearly prefect for us. Next time we might do one of the Caves hotels for fun if we come back again.

There were a couple things I did not like, no coffee in rooms and while the coffee bars on site are fantastic, they don't open till 6am. This is a problem for those of us up all night....Yesterday I cried out "Mr Bezo's, what do you have for me? " Bam! I tried it when it arrived this afternoon, it works perfectly! They are rubber....and compress! I packed 18 1/4cups each of coffee, creamer and sugar.
View attachment 357934
View attachment 357935

The other issue was light bulbs....yeah, I know right? But yes, the accommodations were pretty dark...so yes, I packed 2 led lights.

Want to see a pic of Kerry last time she was there?
View attachment 357937
Have fun!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's been on the chilly side around here for mid June. We did get some nice drenching rain but it wasn't enough to end our moderate drought going on. More rain is forecasted for today. The air temperature was 74° Sapphire's sunny outdoors enclosure did get up to 94°so he got to be outside anyway. The sun started going over the roof around 3:30 pm so I brought him in.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I also found some cactus leather I've been looking for for about 2 years.😊 I saw it on the Saturday morning news but I couldn't figure out how to order some until today. It's hand made in Mexico from Napoles. I can't wait to try it. It's supposed to be a tough vegan leather not supple like the fake stuff 😊 we'll see.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Last night we had some of the loudest thunder I've ever heard in my life. It actually shook the ground. I'd be surprised if Joe and my tortoise didn't hear it. When I woke up I wondered if I dreamed it. I didn't. My brother's grandson asked if everyone was sure the house wouldn't fall down. It was loud 🔊 oh my garsh 😁

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I also found some cactus leather I've been looking for for about 2 years.😊 I saw it on the Saturday morning news but I couldn't figure out how to order some until today. It's hand made in Mexico from Napoles. I can't wait to try it. It's supposed to be a tough vegan leather not supple like the fake stuff 😊 we'll see.
What is the leather used for?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What is the leather used for?
I'm going to try a new phone case first. But it's used the same as animal leather for purses etc. I got interested because it's made from prickly pear cactus. These two guys from Mexico came up with the recipe and so far they are the only ones. It's going to take a while for me to get it. It won't even ship until the 22nd. It's supposed to arrive by the 28th - maybe July 13th. I bought it on Etsy. It supposedly only has a 10 year shelf life like all vegan leather. We'll see.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm going to try a new phone case first. But it's used the same as animal leather for purses etc. I got interested because it's made from prickly pear cactus. These two guys from Mexico came up with the recipe and so far they are the only ones. It's going to take a while for me to get it. It won't even ship until the 22nd. It's supposed to arrive by the 28th - maybe July 13th. I bought it on Etsy. It supposedly only has a 10 year shelf life like all vegan leather. We'll see.
I'm so excited. I can't hardly wait to get my fingers on this leather!😁 Everyday I'm dreaming up a new stitching project. The cactus leather will be a limish green. 25 centimeters x 140 centimeters. Enough to play with. I can't wait to figure out how to make it supple maybe too. I've been wanting it for a couple of years and finally found out how to order it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning everyone. I've had another couple of busy weeks but just caught up with you all.

@jeff kushner I hope you and Kerry have a great holiday, and a well deserved rest for both of you.
@Ray--Opo Please send Rose my best wishes for a speedy recovery and I hope she's behaving herself and resting to make sure the surgery is a success. Can't be too careful with the spine!! I hope you're feeling better now too and managed to get some help while Rose has to take it easy - you need to take care too while still recovering.
@Cathie G really enjoyed your pics again!
@Maro2Bear - You'll have a lovely crop of tomatoes to make all sorts of delicious things with when they're ready. Every year I intend to have a go at growing them but not got around to it yet.

My Brother in law is still in hospital undergoing tests. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer 9 years ago and that has been well controlled with meds but he has had liver problems for over a year and we were worried that he now had secondary cancer but thankfully after all sorts of scans there was no sign of this. He had a large gall stone removed and they still have to find out why his liver function tests have been so bad for so long, but it's a relief that the cancer hasn't progressed.

For weeks we have had very dry and very hot weather with temps 85F+ in my part of the UK but thankfully this weekend it is cooler and we've had some rain showers, but we need much more . There' s a possibility of thunderstorms later today but on the other hand they may miss us.

Lola is enjoying soaking up the sun but some days it's even been too hot for him. He managed to climb over his boundary board last week and gave me a heart attack when I couldn't find him, but he can't get out of the garden and eventually came strolling down the path after his little adventure. I have some plants that are toxic to him in so I don't like him having the run of the garden, which is why he's confined to his own space. I'm going to make it bigger for him though.

I hope you all have a good Sunday time for me to go and top up the bird feeders.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning everyone. I've had another couple of busy weeks but just caught up with you all.

@jeff kushner I hope you and Kerry have a great holiday, and a well deserved rest for both of you.
@Ray--Opo Please send Rose my best wishes for a speedy recovery and I hope she's behaving herself and resting to make sure the surgery is a success. Can't be too careful with the spine!! I hope you're feeling better now too and managed to get some help while Rose has to take it easy - you need to take care too while still recovering.
@Cathie G really enjoyed your pics again!
@Maro2Bear - You'll have a lovely crop of tomatoes to make all sorts of delicious things with when they're ready. Every year I intend to have a go at growing them but not got around to it yet.

My Brother in law is still in hospital undergoing tests. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer 9 years ago and that has been well controlled with meds but he has had liver problems for over a year and we were worried that he now had secondary cancer but thankfully after all sorts of scans there was no sign of this. He had a large gall stone removed and they still have to find out why his liver function tests have been so bad for so long, but it's a relief that the cancer hasn't progressed.

For weeks we have had very dry and very hot weather with temps 85F+ in my part of the UK but thankfully this weekend it is cooler and we've had some rain showers, but we need much more . There' s a possibility of thunderstorms later today but on the other hand they may miss us.

Lola is enjoying soaking up the sun but some days it's even been too hot for him. He managed to climb over his boundary board last week and gave me a heart attack when I couldn't find him, but he can't get out of the garden and eventually came strolling down the path after his little adventure. I have some plants that are toxic to him in so I don't like him having the run of the garden, which is why he's confined to his own space. I'm going to make it bigger for him though.

I hope you all have a good Sunday time for me to go and top up the bird feeders.
I was wondering about you.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Still dry-as-a-bone here in our neck of the woods. I’m glad i put a little soaker hose down on the tomato patch. 💦💧🙏
Our rain didn't clear up our drought but we got some. Thank the good Lord. It was several days of a nice soaking rain. We are classified as in a moderate drought now.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Just read a good tip for tomatoes - if you soak a banana skin in a jar of water for a day or two then pour the water around the base of the plant it really thrives on the potassium.
I might go ahead and plant a plant just to try that. Tomato plants don't do well here in our yard. Maybe that would help.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I might go ahead and plant a plant just to try that. Tomato plants don't do well here in our yard. Maybe that would help.
If I grow tomato plants in flower pots. They do good, also I was told to water with a dripper hose. So I don't get water on the fruits or leaves.