COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Well Rose wasn't feeling well for 2 days. Tested positive for covid today. Also my well pump started short cycling. I let the pressure out of the system. Check the Valve stem for pressure or water. Nothing! Put my compressor on the 28psi and tried to put air in. Wouldn't take air so I turned up the pressure to 100psi and still wouldn't take air. Tried Google to see if the inner value stem is replaceable. Getting mixed messages but the one that seemed prevalent. Was the inner valve stem is replaceable like a bike or car tire. But the valve is smaller and no where to get the removal tool or valve stem. I think the companies that make them want it that way. So I guess a new pressure tank but I believe it is still under warranty.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well Rose wasn't feeling well for 2 days. Tested positive for covid today. Also my well pump started short cycling. I let the pressure out of the system. Check the Valve stem for pressure or water. Nothing! Put my compressor on the 28psi and tried to put air in. Wouldn't take air so I turned up the pressure to 100psi and still wouldn't take air. Tried Google to see if the inner value stem is replaceable. Getting mixed messages but the one that seemed prevalent. Was the inner valve stem is replaceable like a bike or car tire. But the valve is smaller and no where to get the removal tool or valve stem. I think the companies that make them want it that way. So I guess a new pressure tank but I believe it is still under warranty.
🤗🙏For Rose. Darn about well pump. Keep looking though because the parts and tools have to be out there. How else would it be put together?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I'm a member of Butterfly Conservation and I love Butterflies, Moths and Bats so please don't shoot at them!!

Natrah
Gonna need a time machine to catch me in the act, but please consider me reformed!! I absolutely love the Lepidoptera!!! Monarchs and Tiger Swallowtails are my favorites and I plant with a butterfly in mind!!! This is just one of my 5 butterfly bushes!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4274 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4274 (1).jpeg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 1

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Hey @jeff kushner you are a plumber right?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yup, but you are going to hate me.....I know very little of wells and their systems. I learned my trade in commercial construction in DC...very few wells there anymore.

Typically Expansion tanks or receivers in this case, don't get pressurized beyond 7-12psi. It prevents air from being required to "take up the space" as the tank is emptied. I would check start & stop pressures b/c the pump should try to make the high setpoint. If it can and doesn't start on it's own, it would prove the pump and contactor work correctly & the system isn't leaking back. I'd replace the tank.

There is a bladder inside the tank, by inflating it to high pressures, you are simply making the "tank" smaller for the water. It can't hope to push against a bladder filled to 100psi. The bladder ebbs and flows in size as the tank is emptied and refilled...that's why it's low pressure.

I do know that a foot valve failure can have the same effect though....see, I'm not a lot of help with wells.

good luck.....

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Daughter completed getting her car resolved yesterday and the cost at the MVA was only the registration costs, they dropped all the fines! $67.50 for 1 year tags! Ex wife drove her to Ezpass and MVA since her tag was suspended. I appreciated her doing that....she texted back "co-parenting is a team sport". I was glad she wasn't hurt that Kerry got involved to motivate my daughter.

I really thought this was going to cost 5K by the time the dust settled. I'm so glad that I didn't get mad and rant and rave over it.....since it really didn't turn out to be that important, did it? I love it when I'm right...doesn't happen very often so yeah, it's cool!

Hmmm, so now I still have 4400 that is not accounted for in my head. I told Kerry last night, that could be a nice weekend vacation with leftovers, or maybe a 1/3rd of the way to that Hydroplane???? She's thinking screened in porch.....fat chance with that hydroplane still out there......LOL All in fun of course.

Yesterday I looked up and said "You did me a solid big guy".....which is a really good thing as lately I've been looking up and asking "Really, again?"
LOL

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yup, but you are going to hate me.....I know very little of wells and their systems. I learned my trade in commercial construction in DC...very few wells there anymore.

Typically Expansion tanks or receivers in this case, don't get pressurized beyond 7-12psi. It prevents air from being required to "take up the space" as the tank is emptied. I would check start & stop pressures b/c the pump should try to make the high setpoint. If it can and doesn't start on it's own, it would prove the pump and contactor work correctly & the system isn't leaking back. I'd replace the tank.

There is a bladder inside the tank, by inflating it to high pressures, you are simply making the "tank" smaller for the water. It can't hope to push against a bladder filled to 100psi. The bladder ebbs and flows in size as the tank is emptied and refilled...that's why it's low pressure.

I do know that a foot valve failure can have the same effect though....see, I'm not a lot of help with wells.

good luck.....
Thanks Jeff, the way these pressure tanks work. Depending on your limit switch in my case it is 30psi pump starts 50psi pump off. So my turn on is 30psi. So I set the pressure in the tank at 28psi. If you had a 20/40 tank pressure would be 18psi 40/60 38psi. If you release pressure and water comes out. Your bladder has ruptured.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
See? Even old plumbers can learn something new!

I've bought hundreds of those tanks over the years and never knew the formula for inflating them!

I learned my "new thing for the day" and it's just past noon!

Thanks Ray!

mine is set at 45-65
So the psi should be 43psi. Some people think that putting more air in will give them more water pressure. That only makes the pump work harder. I am sure you know it takes more water volume to get more pressure.

MaNaAk

Southend
Gonna need a time machine to catch me in the act, but please consider me reformed!! I absolutely love the Lepidoptera!!! Monarchs and Tiger Swallowtails are my favorites and I plant with a butterfly in mind!!! This is just one of my 5 butterfly bushes!!!
Wow please could you send photos of butterflies on your Buddleia @Blackdog1714?

Thankyou very much

Natrah

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
m sure you know it takes more water volume to get more pressure.
That's kinda not true globally but speaking in context of a closed Well system, you are absolutely correct...got to try to push more water in to cause pressure within the vessel (piping system) to rise.

out of context
I can have a vertical H2O pipe in a building.....and gain .434psi per foot of height.....so @ 100ft, even with an open end on the top, I will read around 43PSI on the bottom, 21.5 or so in the middle, if I circulate that water upwards or downward in a loop, the pressures will remain relative to the static pressure. Now, if I use the same volume but make the pipe smaller in diameter but 200' tall, same vol, double the pressures!

There are also very real "real life" conditions which blow away conventional thinking. Here's one I am enjoying now that you can appreciate Ray;
My home is 3,200sf, with 2 levels split evenly. It's 91.2F outside right now, was hotter earlier. Now think for a sec how large your AC unit(s) are in your home? 3.5-4 tons? My total is 1.7 tons............my home is 75F inside and was built in 1966 with no special "weather stuff" . Not possible right? This is what I do for a living and I can't explain it nor can I find anyone who can.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Q
Daughter completed getting her car resolved yesterday and the cost at the MVA was only the registration costs, they dropped all the fines! $67.50 for 1 year tags! Ex wife drove her to Ezpass and MVA since her tag was suspended. I appreciated her doing that....she texted back "co-parenting is a team sport". I was glad she wasn't hurt that Kerry got involved to motivate my daughter.

I really thought this was going to cost 5K by the time the dust settled. I'm so glad that I didn't get mad and rant and rave over it.....since it really didn't turn out to be that important, did it? I love it when I'm right...doesn't happen very often so yeah, it's cool!

Hmmm, so now I still have 4400 that is not accounted for in my head. I told Kerry last night, that could be a nice weekend vacation with leftovers, or maybe a 1/3rd of the way to that Hydroplane???? She's thinking screened in porch.....fat chance with that hydroplane still out there......LOL All in fun of course.

Yesterday I looked up and said "You did me a solid big guy".....which is a really good thing as lately I've been looking up and asking "Really, again?"
LOL
Your best chance at life is to do the screened in porch 😉☺️😁

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow M, I didn't even notice that BRIGHT RED banner!

Congrats Ms Cathie

I love folks that are older than me.....LOL, come on girl, you didn't really think I wouldn't tease at least a little?

I am thinking about that screened in porch but for the short term, I got stuck on the idea of going back to Dollywood!
We went there a few years ago and fell in love with the park she has built. Wow, what a great Family park!

The prob this time of year is that Teachers are usually pretty twisted till the end of Sept on good years, the end of Oct on bad. I know this stuff, been hanging around teachers my entire life! Getting her to take a long w/e is tough and I don't like to add to the stuff she's already dealing with this time of year.

I stayed home today, woke at 11pm with a bad migraine.....haven't had one in MONTHS....so I'm not complaining but geez, were they this bad when I used to get them often? It sucked till the meds kicked in...a real banger, eyes, stomach and all. I go back to my chiro guy Monday around noon.

going to go watch South Park, I need some stupid tv about now.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Ray. Check out YouTube. I recently watched a video on there on valve stem replacement….etc.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We took a nice road trip yesterday to the half way point of the Appalachian Trail which happens to be at Pine Grove Furnace PA. About 30 minutes north of Gettysburg. We drove through nice rolling hills and acres and acres and acres of primarily apple orchards. Billions of ripe apples on the trees.

Stopped at a nice farmhouse orchard market that had some great perennials for sale.

07071D47-F902-4D91-8024-3AF3555CBB79.jpeg7259A901-043D-4EC6-9983-FD2DE368E792.jpegFD9D16F7-58A3-427B-B60D-F1E1D3F07D0D.jpegF666CA08-1452-4D79-ACC4-2DBC9B0CEEA7.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ray. Check out YouTube. I recently watched a video on there on valve stem replacement….etc.
Thanks Mark, I called a plumber that I have done business with. He gave me some info. I think I made a bone head move. I will check tomorrow, I didn't get a chance today. I had a doctor's appointment. If I made the bone head move. I will definitely share!😁

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We took a nice road trip yesterday to the half way point of the Appalachian Trail which happens to be at Pine Grove Furnace PA. About 30 minutes north of Gettysburg. We drove through nice rolling hills and acres and acres and acres of primarily apple orchards. Billions of ripe apples on the trees.

Stopped at a nice farmhouse orchard market that had some great perennials for sale.

View attachment 361174View attachment 361175View attachment 361176View attachment 361178
Did you buy some echenacea? That's a favorite of mine. Finches, butterflies and my family love it. It makes a great tea for what ails you ☕