COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Happy birthday Ben! It’s my daughter’s birthday tomorrow, my godson’s the day after and I know two others with birthdays over these 3 days... It’s a popular time of year!

Today I come from the rescue with photos of two birds of prey.

The first is a fledgling tawny owl, still a bit fluffy, that isn’t feeling too great and needs support feeding. She preferred to keep her etes closed so she couldn’t see us, but was clearly hungry :)
View attachment 282114
View attachment 282115

And a female kestrel that we were also going to support-feed, but she had other ideas and wriggled free to demonstrate she could do it herself thank you very much! We were very surprised that the collared doves in the cages behind weren’t in the least bit bothered when she landed.
View attachment 282116
View attachment 282117
Love it.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Whoops just looked you won't be coming that far south on I-95.
oh no!! I tought was gonna be good! Yesterday I said joking We're not coming back without 50 lbs of mazuri but it looks like it's harder than I tought. I found a place in tampa called SHELLS FEED AND GARDEN SUPPLY so I tought hey it says shells, must be a good place for tortoise stuff, turns out theres almost nothing. There's a place called SMELT FEED AND PET SUPPLY INC that looks promising and another one called largo feed and garden supply that I might call later today. It looks like you have plenty of tractor supply company and petcos! I really tought this stuff would be everywhere in Florida since reptiles seems to be popular there. It's no wander why it's impossible getting it in Canada...Well if you have any other idea of how to get it let me know :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Happy birthday Ben! It’s my daughter’s birthday tomorrow, my godson’s the day after and I know two others with birthdays over these 3 days... It’s a popular time of year!

The first is a fledgling tawny owl, still a bit fluffy, that isn’t feeling too great and needs support feeding. She preferred to keep her etes closed so she couldn’t see us, but was clearly hungry :)
View attachment 282114
View attachment 282115

And a female kestrel that we were also going to support-feed, but she had other ideas and wriggled free to demonstrate she could do it herself thank you very much! We were very surprised that the collared doves in the cages behind weren’t in the least bit bothered when she landed.
View attachment 282116
View attachment 282117
You've got it wrong - she keeps her eyes closed so YOU can't see Her!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
oh no!! I tought was gonna be good! Yesterday I said joking We're not coming back without 50 lbs of mazuri but it looks like it's harder than I tought. I found a place in tampa called SHELLS FEED AND GARDEN SUPPLY so I tought hey it says shells, must be a good place for tortoise stuff, turns out theres almost nothing. There's a place called SMELT FEED AND PET SUPPLY INC that looks promising and another one called largo feed and garden supply that I might call later today. It looks like you have plenty of tractor supply company and petcos! I really tought this stuff would be everywhere in Florida since reptiles seems to be popular there. It's no wander why it's impossible getting it in Canada...Well if you have any other idea of how to get it let me know :D

Arent you staying at a campsite with a known fixed address? I still think you could easily order and have it shipped to them to HOLD for your arrival and pick-up. Of course a call to confirm too.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well Good Monday Morning All,

I missed Friday, Saturday and Sunday. But at least I am back today. We had a nice and sunny weekend. The torts went outside of course, and I noticed that since Rue has officially become a boy, he has been giving Harry a hard time. And don't be like Jarrod and take that the wrong way. Anyway I am going to have to create a new enclosure for Rue so that the others will have a break and not get harassed all the time. Today it was overcast when I left, so I did not take them outside. Does anybody know when exactly they become fertile? Is it when they start flashing or is there more maturity that needs to be attained first?
View attachment 282111

View attachment 282112
Rue and Harry are adorable...I guess Rue is just figuring out he's an induhvidual...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Actually I have only caught him flashing at me the one time. But he has been giving Harry a hard time. I caught him trying to climb Harry in the outside enclosure and then afterwards following Harry around. It was the same behavior as Blue always displays when he is getting amorous with Whitey.
Saphire has only flashed me once and it scarred me for life. I still laugh about that day...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I had to break down and order direct. I tried to get my local tractor supply and pet sense to order / stock for me but neither could...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Some additional progress made today on Sully’s indoor night box. Ive rough cut the top piece of plywood and bought some hinges for the lid. I’m thinking I might need three hinges as opposed to two. It was too nice a day to spend inside wood working, do we cut grass, raked leaves and enjoyed a nice backyard fire.

Roughcut Lid on the Nightbox

C4F56769-BA94-4B73-B42D-D8525FAFBBCF.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

View attachment 282114
View attachment 282115

View attachment 282116
View attachment 282117
What a great job you have.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Look for feed and seed stores.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good morning everyone! Hope everyone has a good day. Had therapy yesterday so gonna be sore today.
Yesterday a friend came over and planted a Moringa tree. Of course Opo had to check out what was going on. Tried to eat the plastic bag that the dirt came in. I picked it up so Opo couldn't bite it. I was barefoot and my big toe was hanging over the foot rest. Opo has many times come over and smelled my foot. So I didn't move it away. So he decided this time to bite my toe.:mad:
He didn't break the skin but it made me jump.
Then he kept getting in the way of the shovel. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning everyone! Hope everyone has a good day. Had therapy yesterday so gonna be sore today.
Yesterday a friend came over and planted a Moringa tree. Of course Opo had to check out what was going on. Tried to eat the plastic bag that the dirt came in. I picked it up so Opo couldn't bite it. I was barefoot and my big toe was hanging over the foot rest. Opo has many times come over and smelled my foot. So I didn't move it away. So he decided this time to bite my toe.:mad:
He didn't break the skin but it made me jump.
Then he kept getting in the way of the shovel. :)
Sounds like typical tort behaviour to me! :D

Doesn’t help with your soreness though! I hope that fades quickly