COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Ok, I'm admitting defeat. I'm just too old and insecure to work up a ladder about 15' off the ground.

I'm on a fixed income that hasn't changed in 20 years, which means there isn't any extra $$$ to hire it done.

The leaves have to be removed off my garage roof (a metal building) so they don't make the roof rust. Yesterday I dragged my electric leaf blower up the ladder and the closer I got to the top of the building the more nervous I became. You have to climb pretty high in order to get behind the leaves to blow them downhill. The ladder is on the side of the garage and the roof slopes down to the left. You have to work from the ladder because the metal panels won't support your weight.

So I need some suggestions, and bear in mind I don't think my homeowner insurance covers a non insured, non bonded college kid or some such.
It's not really defeat to admit you shouldn't be on a ladder. I'm afraid to even try it. What would happen to my animals if I'm laid up in the hospital is even scarier. They told me at the hospital that if I had come in the same day I fractured my ribs I would have been hospitalized. (Due to my young age of 67) I'm so glad I waited 5 days. I was so called doing so well they LET me go home. I'll be hoping and praying some permanent solution comes your way soon. Your knowledge is way more valuable then that roof.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well my mother in law got back from the Philippines late last night. ?
I was up until 4am I still have cobwebs in my head. Been a lazy day. Haven't seen my mother in law yet today. I think it will take awhile for her body to get used to the time change.
Yeah mom's back!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If I make a work bench. I might add a tv and AC. Got to see how much stuff we put in it. Need to claim back the garage. I was going to get a 14'x 16' but the shed is made in Georgia. Being 14' wide the transportation costs would have been to high.
Never in my life did I think I would pay for a shed to be built. How times have changed.
I have my old surround sound system in my shed with extra outdoor speakers! Almost finished wiring it, I had to make sure I had enough 20 amps ready for outdoor Leopard area I need to build.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They make those gutter cleaning tools that can be used from the ground. Both that look like a big pipe
cleaner(with/without water) and then the ones that are with water.
I engineered something similar with a heavy duty brush that I bent and I then attached to a telescoping pole I had laying around. I think that pole thingie came from a dead pruner/mini chain saw.

I know there is even a kit that can be attached to shop vacuums.

But not sure how budget friendly these things are. Sorry.

-Meg
(work is abusing me today)
It wouldn't be hard for me to clean gutters, but I'm trying to clean off the actual roof:

leaves on the roof a.jpg

In order to reach the leaves on the garage roof I have to move my ladder over near the garage door so I can get up behind the leaves.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Happy thursday guys ! Had a lil power outage today good thing i had some hand warmers on hand for jack
I'm grateful I live in an area of little to none power outages. Once in a great while a car hits a power pole and we're without power for an hour or so, but in the 25+ years I've lived in the house, I can count on one hand the number of times I went without power (if I could remember them, that is).

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It wouldn't be hard for me to clean gutters, but I'm trying to clean off the actual roof:

View attachment 287034

In order to reach the leaves on the garage roof I have to move my ladder over near the garage door so I can get up behind the leaves.
What an evil combo- almost flat roof and big droopy branch tree! Be careful

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

View attachment 287034

Do you have a heavy duty leaf blower? To extend the reach of a standard leaf blower, you could figure out the diamter of your leaf blower nozzle. Lets say 3 inches or so. You could take your nozzle to HomeDepot or Lowes and get 10 or 15 ft of rigid pvc pipe. Attach it, (might need duct tape) and let it blow. Hopefully the leaves are dry and will easily blow. The long section of pvc pipe might be awkward, but not heavy. I’m thinking of doing the same to our blower, but just adding a bit of a 90 degree angle to blow out the rain gutters as i walk along.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have a heavy duty leaf blower? To extend the reach of a standard leaf blower, you could figure out the diamter of your leaf blower nozzle. Lets say 3 inches or so. You could take your nozzle to HomeDepot or Lowes and get 10 or 15 ft of rigid pvc pipe. Attach it, (might need duct tape) and let it blow. Hopefully the leaves are dry and will easily blow. The long section of pvc pipe might be awkward, but not heavy. I’m thinking of doing the same to our blower, but just adding a bit of a 90 degree angle to blow out the rain gutters as i walk along.
This is an excellent idea! My leaf blower is supposedly blowing 200mph, but that might be advertising hype. I have lots of scrap PVC. Tomorrow I'll go out and see if I have a piece the right diameter. (insert many smiley faces here!!!!)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
This is an excellent idea! My leaf blower is supposedly blowing 200mph, but that might be advertising hype. I have lots of scrap PVC. Tomorrow I'll go out and see if I have a piece the right diameter. (insert many smiley faces here!!!!)

Great. Check these videos out

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Great. Check these videos out

The second video actually shows a good way to slide your pvc type all the way down the long blower nozzle, this ensures a good support & no need for an accurate tight fit at the very end. As long as your long piece of pvc will slide on & down, you are good to go.

in your case, no need for any angles, just the long extender piece.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The second video actually shows a good way to slide your pvc type all the way down the long blower nozzle, this ensures a good support & no need for an accurate tight fit at the very end. As long as your long piece of pvc will slide on & down, you are good to go.

in your case, no need for any angles, just the long extender piece.
My leaf blower is 3" and I don't have any scraps that size. Guess I'll be making an extra trip into town tomorrow . I hope they sell 10' section.