COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I managed to go out and run the errand I needed to. It's rained before and since then, though.
Do you still have that big storm brewing? It's weird. Even here in Ohio if a hurricane is heading for Florida there's a quality to the wind here that's different. We actually got the remnants of one one year. I already knew it was coming. I could feel it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yep. I didn't know you liked crochet. Some days that's all I can do to have something to do. (In between critters.) I loved it when I was young too. Cool.
I haven't crocheted in a long time. Now a days all I do is read or work jigsaw puzzles on my Kindle. A while ago I I.D.'d a picture Blackdog put up as crochet hooks so he sent them to me.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I haven't crocheted in a long time. Now a days all I do is read or work jigsaw puzzles on my Kindle. A while ago I I.D.'d a picture Blackdog put up as crochet hooks so he sent them to me.
That was sweet of him. I saw your thanks post. The last time I crocheted it was toys. That was a couple of years ago or more. I have to be in the mood. Then I can't quit.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Do you still have that big storm brewing? It's weird. Even here in Ohio if a hurricane is heading for Florida there's a quality to the wind here that's different. We actually got the remnants of one one year. I already knew it was coming. I could feel it.
The system is over land right now. It's probably contributing to the rain we're getting in North Florida currently. If it develops into a named storm, it will probably be once it reaches the Atlantic.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
We don't have any sales tax here. All last week I was paying $2.35 for premium gas. This week, $2.60 still cheap by any standards, and that's premium. It's against the law to pump your own gas. Oregon is green with lots of water, lakes, rivers etc. Well, and, em, you see, aaah, Where I live, in the Willamette Valley, it does sorta rain, sleet, rain, freezing rain, snow and did I say rain? For 7 months out of the year. We have 2 good sized rivers running right thru town. Oh, As an OTR truck driver I have delivered or picked up in every state in the Continental US. Without looking at taxes and that sorta stuff, I would pick to move to...in order...
Montana, so beautiful it hurts your eyes, Wisconsin, green with friendly people, Corpus Christie Texas, Huston, Idaho,
come out West. Spring and Summer are perfect, it rarely hits 90 degrees. Mostly 80 degrees with about 30% humidity.
Good to know if we ever want to move out to the good ol US of A.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I just got done reading a long novel. Im not in the mood to read lol
That is my problem though I love reading and if I pick up a book now to read at work because I have nothing to do, then I don't want to do anything else becasue I then get stuck into reading and it takes over everything. Which is not good, because I do have work to do at home which would be put aside in favour of reading. I really need to learn some self control.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good Morning all,

Well I went to bed last night with a dry cough, sneezing, slightly scratchy throat and tossed and turned the whole night because I was either too hot or my body just was feeling wierd and could not get comfortable. I am staying at home today and I am waiting for my doctor to advise if I should get tested for the corona virus. I am sure it is just the normal flu, as it is our flu season now (I was not able to get a flu vacccine as I had just recovered from the flu and was struggling with my lungs still when the vaccine came out - beside I have heard that if you have never had the vaccine then the first time it hits you very bad and I did not think that this was the right time to start getting the vaccine) Anyway, we will see if I just have the normal flu or if I will be tested for covid-19.

I worry though, because if I do have it, Stephen is diabetic and he will probably have it by now as well. Which is so not good, I believe that diabetics are the worst cases here in SA for the covid-19 virus.

Anyway enough about covid, she has had enough talking about her for a while now and it is time to talk about something else.

So I have decided to get a crested gecko to put in my enclosure that I had for my baby tortoises. They have all be upgraded to their enclosure outside permantely and are very happy even in this winter weather. The eggs that were laid last year never hatched. So I wanted to put something in my enclsoure that I have. And after a lot of research I at first wanted to put an African Fat Tailed gecko in, but apparently we are not allowed to have them here in Cape Town. You can keep them in Durban which is wierd. So the next choices were a Pictus Gecko or a Crested Gecko.

1594107162021.pngPictus Gecko

or the Crested Gecko:

1594107222553.png

I decided on the crested as they apparently live for 20 years and they look the closest to a dragon for me. (well for what I can keep in my enclosure - with it being a humid enclosure) The only draw back is that they do like to jump, so I will need to be careful and make sure that I keep an eye on the jumping so that it does not go and jump onto the cat or dog etc.

Anyway have an awesome Tuesday. And sorry for the long post.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good Morning all,

Well I went to bed last night with a dry cough, sneezing, slightly scratchy throat and tossed and turned the whole night because I was either too hot or my body just was feeling wierd and could not get comfortable. I am staying at home today and I am waiting for my doctor to advise if I should get tested for the corona virus. I am sure it is just the normal flu, as it is our flu season now (I was not able to get a flu vacccine as I had just recovered from the flu and was struggling with my lungs still when the vaccine came out - beside I have heard that if you have never had the vaccine then the first time it hits you very bad and I did not think that this was the right time to start getting the vaccine) Anyway, we will see if I just have the normal flu or if I will be tested for covid-19.

I worry though, because if I do have it, Stephen is diabetic and he will probably have it by now as well. Which is so not good, I believe that diabetics are the worst cases here in SA for the covid-19 virus.

Anyway enough about covid, she has had enough talking about her for a while now and it is time to talk about something else.

So I have decided to get a crested gecko to put in my enclosure that I had for my baby tortoises. They have all be upgraded to their enclosure outside permantely and are very happy even in this winter weather. The eggs that were laid last year never hatched. So I wanted to put something in my enclsoure that I have. And after a lot of research I at first wanted to put an African Fat Tailed gecko in, but apparently we are not allowed to have them here in Cape Town. You can keep them in Durban which is wierd. So the next choices were a Pictus Gecko or a Crested Gecko.

View attachment 299347Pictus Gecko

or the Crested Gecko:

View attachment 299348

I decided on the crested as they apparently live for 20 years and they look the closest to a dragon for me. (well for what I can keep in my enclosure - with it being a humid enclosure) The only draw back is that they do like to jump, so I will need to be careful and make sure that I keep an eye on the jumping so that it does not go and jump onto the cat or dog etc.

Anyway have an awesome Tuesday. And sorry for the long post.

Good update, but lets all collectively cross our fingers hoping you don’t have the dreaded COVID-19 virus! Geeze! It’s always something.

When do you pick up your new little friend? Interesting, 20 year life span.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good update, but lets all collectively cross our fingers hoping you don’t have the dreaded COVID-19 virus! Geeze! It’s always something.

When do you pick up your new little friend? Interesting, 20 year life span.
I have to still order him. But want to get the enclosure right for him first. Was intending to get a lizard that is more ground dwelling, but this one likes to climb, so want to make some climbing perches etc. for him first. But hopefully within the next two weeks or so.:)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Eina. Good Luck. No wonder your garden and grass is so luscious.

I’m sure the day will magically appear here soon when the storms stop, then nothing, and things will quickly die. But for now, it’s like the tropics. Hot hazy stramy humid soggy even. Sully was out in the down pour yesterday, she got a good bath. Scared her a bit too i think with massive THUNDER LIGHTNING and even HAIL! By the time the hail started, I’m pretty sure she was back in her hut.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I’m sure the day will magically appear here soon when the storms stop, then nothing, and things will quickly die. But for now, it’s like the tropics. Hot hazy stramy humid soggy even. Sully was out in the down pour yesterday, she got a good bath. Scared her a bit too i think with massive THUNDER LIGHTNING and even HAIL! By the time the hail started, I’m pretty sure she was back in her hut.
Well that is certianly one way for her to get a bath in.