COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
We have them with both types of leaves.
I usually pick the ones in the top picture though as they look more appealing.
Oh. That's even more interesting that you have both. That's why I usually pick those also. I think those are called red seeded. Googling dandelions was difficult on my phone. The pictures don't really help because they don't show up good. I never really thought about it before because they are both so common here. The same with plantain. One of those has thin leaves and the other has wider ones.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I

got hooked on the deep sea fishing on my First Charter out of the Ft Lauderdale... it was amazing. I tied to learn every fish I pulled out of the ocean.... but there were so many!!! All the beautiful colors really grabbed Me.and the fights for a lot of those fish was like nothing you experience here.. after That, I would go on at least two trips every year for about 5 years until Jayden came along.. I really miss it but Joey is just not really interested in Going.. now that Jayden is older, this may be my next mother / son trip!
That would be a great trip!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I've never thought you were always complaining Ray, in fact I'm always amazed at how up beat and positive you are through all the pain you have to contend with. It's good to let off steam and where better than here amongst friends!?
I hope the weather is good to you so that your fishing trip is everything you want it to be.
Thanks Lyn, I am hopeful the trip is a success.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Last night when I took the pictures I didn't pay attention to the one next to it. It has flowers too. Both types look like dandelions to me. I've never noticed which one Sapphire likes the best. He won't eat them if I pick them. He chooses a growing leaf that smells good to him. The only thing I've been able to hand feed him is a wild strawberry with the stem still attached.
Well, after giving him a cold shower after he flashed you, I can understand why he doesn't want eat out of your hand.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh. That's even more interesting that you have both. That's why I usually pick those also. I think those are called red seeded. Googling dandelions was difficult on my phone. The pictures don't really help because they don't show up good. I never really thought about it before because they are both so common here. The same with plantain. One of those has thin leaves and the other has wider ones.
The thin leafed plantain is ribwort, and the bigger leaves are the broadleaf, Lola likes both but especially likes ribwort. When I first started teaching myself about weeds for Lola I used to remember the ribwort by thinking of ribbon) although broadleaf speaks for itself really. I think there's another type too but can't remember what the name is. It's on the tortoise table. (None of which are related to banana plant which is also called a plantain)
Plantains are quite easy grow from the seed heads after flowering too.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/morning all.
It's a grey, windy and cold day here but at least it's dry.
Not much happening today just some sorting and cleaning.
Hope you all have a good Thursday.
TTFN

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The thin leafed plantain is ribwort, and the bigger leaves are the broadleaf, Lola likes both but especially likes ribwort. When I first started teaching myself about weeds for Lola I used to remember the ribwort by thinking of ribbon) although broadleaf speaks for itself really. I think there's another type too but can't remember what the name is. It's on the tortoise table. (None of which are related to banana plant which is also called a plantain)
Plantains are quite easy grow from the seed heads after flowering too.
What's funny about plantain is it's also edible for humans. I read if done right it's similar to broccoli. It has to go through several boiling baths first much like blanching for freezing vegetables. That's to remove the tanins.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evenooning all. I seem to have spent today cooking. First up a Jamaica Ginger Cake for the weekend. Then a loaf of beer bread for lunch. Then a batch of Welsh Cakes for the freezer.

And finally what the family calls “Pizza Roll”... bread dough rolled into a square, then topped with cheese, ham, mushroom and some softened onion then rolled up like a Swiss Roll and baked. I think it might be called Stromboli in some parts. Anyway, I portion it and freeze it as it is really handy for packed lunches when we go out birdwatching or walking.

I haven’t reported on our nest box camera for quite a while. Nest building continues, but it’s slow progress. Blue T!ts time their egg hatching to coincide with the caterpillars being plentiful. I think the recent cold snap has put them off finishing the nest for a while. We have been very concerned about one of the pair, I think the male, who got his head mangled a couple of weeks ago maybe by a cat or a corvid? He looks a lot better than he did but I fear he can’t see out of his right eye.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good afternoon! Busy week for me and 1 more day to go.. I have plans Saturday to take my mother to “Chicken Trade Days” in Gilmer Tx on Saturday. It’s kind of like a farmers market for small livestock animals, supplies and crafts.. I’m looking forward to it except it starts at 7am and it’s about 1-1/2 hour drive from me.. BUT, I don’t spend a lot of time with my mother and the Events of my life have me thinking I’d better make a bit more effort... besides, there’s no telling what I might find there ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon! Busy week for me and 1 more day to go.. I have plans Saturday to take my mother to “Chicken Trade Days” in Gilmer Tx on Saturday. It’s kind of like a farmers market for small livestock animals, supplies and crafts.. I’m looking forward to it except it starts at 7am and it’s about 1-1/2 hour drive from me.. BUT, I don’t spend a lot of time with my mother and the Events of my life have me thinking I’d better make a bit more effort... besides, there’s no telling what I might find there ?
Yes yes yes! sounds like a lot of fun.