COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Why is everyone so keen on being tortured twice a year with time change? It disrupts my sleep, my appetite, what's left of my sanity, my animals,....
I wish they wouldn't do it too but this year I can't wait for it. I will be up at my earlier hour by the clock. Otherwise I would be just sleeping till I want to like my critters. I live with Joe and he's dependent on the clock.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I wish they wouldn't do it too but this year I can't wait for it. I will be up at my earlier hour by the clock. Otherwise I would be just sleeping till I want to like my critters. I live with Joe and he's dependent on the clock.
So does Joe get stressed out when you fall back & spring forward?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, it's a grey day here again, not raining but everything is just damp.
Lola's grass finally arrived ? ? :tort:so I'm having a run to a charity/thrift shop to dispose of some clothes - some still with the labels on that seemed like a good idea to buy at the time but have never been worn - hopefully someone can make use of them and the charity can make some money.

Hope everyone has a good Tuesday and I'll see you later.
TTFN

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Mid-60’s, muggy & overcast. Following yesterday’s rainstorm & high winds, it’s not too bad really. We rearranged our sun room to accommodate a few of our non-hardy hibiscus bushes that live in pots on the front porch all Summer. We cut both flowers & leaves all year long from these bushes for our Sully.

I still have to move our banana tree & a few pots of Elephant Ears into the garage. Old man Winter complete with frost & freeze is a knocking.
Next week, we’ll get the daffodil bulbs planted.

Happy Tuesday

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Why is everyone so keen on being tortured twice a year with time change? It disrupts my sleep, my appetite, what's left of my sanity, my animals,....
We don’t “observe” that crazy practice, we get tortured trying to figure out what time it is on the mainland

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Mid-60’s, muggy & overcast. Following yesterday’s rainstorm & high winds, it’s not too bad really. We rearranged our sun room to accommodate a few of our non-hardy hibiscus bushes that live in pots on the front porch all Summer. We cut both flowers & leaves all year long from these bushes for our Sully.

I still have to move our banana tree & a few pots of Elephant Ears into the garage. Old man Winter complete with frost & freeze is a knocking.
Next week, we’ll get the daffodil bulbs planted.

Happy Tuesday
My hibiscus had one measly flower this year! The first in all of the 4 years I've had it.
Maybe it needs a bigger pot?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
Grey but dry here - heavy rain on the way for tomorrow.:(
Not much planned today just a trip to a local animal shelter to drop off some old blankets.
Lola is half in and out his hide again trying to decide what to do.
He'll have to come out to turn around even if he doesn't stay out - he's too big to do a u-turn in the doorway.
Better go and grab him for a soak while I can.
Happy Wednesday!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My hibiscus had one measly flower this year! The first in all of the 4 years I've had it.
Maybe it needs a bigger pot?

The thing with Hibiscus, especially those growing in containers, is that they run out of nutrients that promote & encourage flowering. From what I understand, they are heavy feeders & quickly use up their stored nutrients to push out flowers. Sooooo, the first year, they are heavy bloomers & then will dwindle. Fertilizing early in the Spring & then throughout Summer will usually help flowering. Consistent watering too (when in pots).

Here’s a pix this morning of one blooming in our sun room/conservatory. I see a few other buds now too. I usually don’t fertilize during Fall/Winter - just water. Don’t want them taking over the room.

9F57EBD9-3CC9-4952-AF60-3CBD084F2180.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The thing with Hibiscus, especially those growing in containers, is that they run out of nutrients that promote & encourage flowering. From what I understand, they are heavy feeders & quickly use up their stored nutrients to push out flowers. Sooooo, the first year, they are heavy bloomers & then will dwindle. Fertilizing early in the Spring & then throughout Summer will usually help flowering. Consistent watering too (when in pots).

Here’s a pix this morning of one blooming in our sun room/conservatory. I see a few other buds now too. I usually don’t fertilize during Fall/Winter - just water. Don’t want them taking over the room.

View attachment 335208
That's beautiful.
My hibiscus had smaller pink flowers like this.
1635379105045.png
I think I'll look for a different variety.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hello all! Hope your day is going well, while I'm writing this I'm sure most members are asleep. It is a beautiful day in SA. Nice and cloudy, rain is coming.
After soaking Sunny today, I placed him back in his hide, he always comes walking out furious that the food isn't out yet, here is a good example of it, hope you have a good day!20211028_085514.gif

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all,
Another grey day here but going downhill this afternoon with rain and stronger winds - I'm hoping it won't be too bad in my area as it looks as if we are on the edge of the weather front bringing it in over the weekend.
I like rain but a couple of days in between to dry out would be good.
I can't believe we are at the end of Oct already!?
I hope everyone has a good Thursday

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Goodmorning all, I have a revised report.
I have been a contributor to the fake news. ?
I posted a this pic with the understanding that it was a live shot.
received_1562596240768163_3236823402774.jpeg
While watching the photos that Rose took in Iceland on the TV.
I was notified that it was a stage photo.
The best northern lights they experienced was this photo.
received_319070443356746.jpeg
My humble apology and Yvonne don't kick me out of the CDR for fake news. ??????

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Goodmorning all, I have a revised report.
I have been a contributor to the fake news. ?
I posted a this pic with the understanding that it was a live shot.
View attachment 335273
While watching the photos that Rose took in Iceland on the TV.
I was notified that it was a stage photo.
The best northern lights they experienced was this photo.
View attachment 335274
My humble apology and Yvonne don't kick me out of the CDR for fake news. ??????
We'll forgive you Ray!
I thought Rose was a bit hard to please to only describe that as 'nice':D
I thought it was fantastic.