COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Lola charges across to me if I am in his room and then tries to barge me out of it!
Visitors definitely not welcome unless bearing gifts of food!:)
Lola only goes for my fingers if he can sell food on them, I've had a few near missed while feeding him slithers of opuntia.
Tom must be right about us all. We have this love for an animal that only likes us because we come bearing gifts yet they give us something that no other animal can. I've yet to put my finger on why. ?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Tom must be right about us all. We have this love for an animal that only likes us because we come bearing gifts yet they give us something that no other animal can. I've yet to put my finger on why. ?
Zola will come running towards me when I go into his conservatory - even leaving his food, if he was eating - and he just seems to want my company - except times when he gets over-romantic with my shoes . When that happens, I generally move away quickly !

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Zola will come running towards me when I go into his conservatory - even leaving his food, if he was eating - and he just seems to want my company - except times when he gets over-romantic with my shoes . When that happens, I generally move away quickly !
If Sapphire waltzed over to my feet ? it meant he wants to go outside to play. He would place his little paw on my foot and look me in the eye and I knew exactly what he was saying. Before I learned better, I would let him run around my living room and kitchen. I would take him out for a bit and we'd go round and round in and out all evening. I became afraid for his safety and stopped all that. But we still have our signals. Now he just tries to stand up as tall as he can for me to carry him outside to his enclosure. I still think he tried to bite me because of the scent of my herbal shower gels. I've always loved animals but I trust them to be the animal that they are.?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Storm Barra is certainly making its presence felt - sounds like sleet lashing the windows at the moment with 40+ mph winds.
I'm taking myself off to bed to grab what sleep I can before the even stronger winds arrive.
So Nos Da for now - enjoy the rest of your Tuesday!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A Non-Kayaking/Non woodworking/Non Weather Update….

Readers Digest Edition: After dealing with chronic and worsening pain in my right hip over the past 10 years, I went for total hip replacement surgery this morning.!

Surgery started at 0715, completed by 0915 and I was walking, doing steps, etc by noon. And discharged shortly there after.
✅ Out patient hip replacement surgery.

We’re in a hotel close by the hospital to reduce time traveling in the car. Tomorrow, we’ll pack our bags & zip home to Maryland.

?? For the Doc & Medical Staff. ??? For wifey who is making chicken soup & soba noodles for our dinner.

Next update - the finished bowl of course! ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Storm Barra is certainly making its presence felt - sounds like sleet lashing the windows at the moment with 40+ mph winds.
I'm taking myself off to bed to grab what sleep I can before the even stronger winds arrive.
Nos da to you and I'm hoping the winds take a break for you for a good nights sleep. It'd be easier to deal with tomorrow. Like Charlotte said in Gone With The Wind.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Readers Digest Edition: After dealing with chronic and worsening pain in my right hip over the past 10 years, I went for total hip replacement surgery this morning.!

Surgery started at 0715, completed by 0915 and I was walking, doing steps, etc by noon. And discharged shortly there after.

We’re in a hotel close by the hospital to reduce time traveling in the car. Tomorrow, we’ll pack our bags & zip home to Maryland.

?? For the Doc & Medical Staff. ??? For wifey who is making chicken soup & soba noodles for our dinner.

Aw man. ..??????? for you also. Sorry you had to go through all that pain before they would do that hip replacement. I'm sure I don't have to give you the advice to don't stop moving. That's not you and you'll do great I'm sure.??

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Aw man. ..??????? for you also. Sorry you had to go through all that pain before they would do that hip replacement. I'm sure I don't have to give you the advice to don't stop moving. That's not you and you'll do great I'm sure.??

Thanks Cathie. Yes keep moving, walking and stairs. It’s all feeling so much better - no bone pain now, just surgical wound pain.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yeah, if I'm remembering correctly it's micro surgery now. Hopefully you'll have a painless recovery!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks Cathie. Yes keep moving, walking and stairs. It’s all feeling so much better - no bone pain now, just surgical wound pain.
Yes and it'll get better quickly. You amaze me. Your activity level especially. I would never have thought you were going through all that. I can't wait to see what you do next with none of that pain.? but also follow doctors orders and I know that's going to be hard when you feel so good. I'm sure they've given you some restrictions for a bit. Take the time to heal! Slow and steady like a tortoise ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Yes and it'll get better quickly. You amaze me. Your activity level especially. I would never have thought you were going through all that. I can't wait to see what you do next with none of that pain.? but also follow doctors orders and I know that's going to be hard when you feel so good. I'm sure they've given you some restrictions for a bit. Take the time to heal! Slow and steady like a tortoise ?
What she said.... i'm overwhelmed that you're in & out that fast!! Just wow!! May your healing be short & sweet!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yeah, if I'm remembering correctly it's micro surgery now. Hopefully you'll have a painless recovery!

Not quite micro, they still have to cut you open, saw the bone off and fit, insert & cement new pieces into place - then staple you back up. All done on the side, so no cutting through major muscles. In the old days, they cut away a lot of muscles, ligaments & tendons, so recovery was a lot longer. Hospital stays upwards of a week.

Nice to be on the mend. ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
What she said.... i'm overwhelmed that you're in & out that fast!! Just wow!! May your healing be short & sweet!!

Thanks bunches. This practice started ”out patient” hip replacement surgeries about 2 years ago. The onset of COVID made them streamline procedures, and use pain killers that are specific not general. Recovery is much faster. My PT is to walk walk walk.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good luck weathering the storm!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Wow take care of yourself and do what the doctors order.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu

Hoping for a quick recovery....?

Wait, what? Soba?!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Well then you should've stopped messing around with his pen ???? my house bunny can be just about as bad. Sapphire isn't too keen on that either and checks every change. You could try waiting till they're not looking since they can't hear. The problem with deaf critters though is they have eyes in the back of their heads ? sorry you had to lose him. They are a real joy in your life. Almost like losing a child. I don't know if it's because they live so long or because they crawl like a baby. Therefore kinda helpless. I've never figured out why I have such a deep love for tortoises but I do.
Dang @Cathie G, yore gonna make me cry. . yes, aren't they amazingly endearing:tort: