COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Holy toledo, Batman, what the heck's going on with all the stray cats? When I open my door to go outside at least four and sometimes more, new strays run and hide. I thought the cat food was being eaten by my outside cats because of the cold weather, but it turns out I'm either feeding the neighborhood or someone has dumped a bunch of cats. I've got pictures on my computer (I'm on my Kindle) of Uno, Dos and Tres. Uno is a real pretty long haired orange kitty with a burst abscess on the side of his head and, naturally, I can't catch him. Dos is a black and grey tabby, and Tres is a blue point siamese with the prettiest blue eyes. I've been seeing those three for about a week. Then this a.m. there was an all black one and an all grey one, both male-looking. Cats! Cats, cats, cats!!!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Holy toledo, Batman, what the heck's going on with all the stray cats? When I open my door to go outside at least four and sometimes more, new strays run and hide. I thought the cat food was being eaten by my outside cats because of the cold weather, but it turns out I'm either feeding the neighborhood or someone has dumped a bunch of cats. I've got pictures on my computer (I'm on my Kindle) of Uno, Dos and Tres. Uno is a real pretty long haired orange kitty with a burst abscess on the side of his head and, naturally, I can't catch him. Dos is a black and grey tabby, and Tres is a blue point siamese with the prettiest blue eyes. I've been seeing those three for about a week. Then this a.m. there was an all black one and an all grey one, both male-looking. Cats! Cats, cats, cats!!!
We only have a few around here. My brother has quite a few around his house. He catches them and takes to the vet to get fixed. After they fix the cat they snip off a little part of the ear. So you know the cat has already been fixed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
No sun today to help melt the snow & ice ? but wifey successfully un-buried one of our vehicles & got the driveway clear. Pruned the tops off a lot of the broken or leaning Crepe Myrtle & Cypress trees. I need to be really careful (with my new hip), so anytime I try to help I get scolded & sent inside. Sooo, I’m working on a wooden bowl.

Limbs from this tree were hanging down onto our street, but we (wifey) successfully used our good pruners & took care of it.
65DA2268-A886-4515-8C7A-D3580DD98E4E.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We only have a few around here. My brother has quite a few around his house. He catches them and takes to the vet to get fixed. After they fix the cat they snip off a little part of the ear. So you know the cat has already been fixed.
Is that a free service from the vet or does your brother bear the cost?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is that a free service from the vet or does your brother bear the cost?
They used to do that here with the client only paying for supplies. The vet donated his labor. But they don't do it anymore. So, here's all my new strays:

Uno
stray cat - Uno 1-2-22 b.jpgstray cat - Uno 1-2-22 c.jpg

Dos:

In this picture I had forgotten to close the door to the tortoise shed overnight, and I'm taking the picture through the vinyl strip door:
stray cat - Dos a 1-3-21.jpgStray cat - Dos b 1-3-22.jpg

He thinks if he keeps his eyes closed I can't see him.
Stray cat - Tres 1-4-22.jpg

And this is Tres. Misty had just chased him up the tree:

Stray cat - Tres 1-2-22 a.jpg

Today is the first time I've seen this one. He's made himself quite comfortable in the turtle yard:

stray cat 1-5-22 a.jpgstray cat 1-5-22 b.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We're down to 32F tonight!!?❄️
We've been having nights in the 20's. But by 10am it's warming up and no rain so all the way into December...no snow ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️ except twice that didn't matter. One melted almost as fast as it accumulated and the other didn't make it to the ground.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
They used to do that here with the client only paying for supplies. The vet donated his labor. But they don't do it anymore. So, here's all my new strays:

Uno
View attachment 338609View attachment 338610

Dos:

In this picture I had forgotten to close the door to the tortoise shed overnight, and I'm taking the picture through the vinyl strip door:
View attachment 338605View attachment 338606

View attachment 338608

View attachment 338607

Today is the first time I've seen this one. He's made himself quite comfortable in the turtle yard:

View attachment 338611View attachment 338612
It's such a sad situation for feral cats. Our local humane society finally started a program to fix feral cats with no charge to the people turning them in. They'll catch them, fix them, and then release them back to their area in hopes of cutting down on the population over time.. I believe they concentrate their efforts on the males. It's too bad that it had become such a problem that something had to be done.?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Holy toledo, Batman, what the heck's going on with all the stray cats? When I open my door to go outside at least four and sometimes more, new strays run and hide. I thought the cat food was being eaten by my outside cats because of the cold weather, but it turns out I'm either feeding the neighborhood or someone has dumped a bunch of cats. I've got pictures on my computer (I'm on my Kindle) of Uno, Dos and Tres. Uno is a real pretty long haired orange kitty with a burst abscess on the side of his head and, naturally, I can't catch him. Dos is a black and grey tabby, and Tres is a blue point siamese with the prettiest blue eyes. I've been seeing those three for about a week. Then this a.m. there was an all black one and an all grey one, both male-looking. Cats! Cats, cats, cats!!!in
Same here. We started out with a gray with tortoise markings & now we have 3, different coats. One came into our garage & was meowing yesterday from inside one of our cars. We hadn't hahd the garage doors up for 2 days. He was probably hanging on a wheel

Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO

Uno
View attachment 338609View attachment 338610

Dos:

View attachment 338605View attachment 338606

View attachment 338608

View attachment 338607

View attachment 338611View attachment 338612
Wow! They look like they've been well-cared for by someone.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
It's such a sad situation for feral cats. Our local humane society finally started a program to fix feral cats with no charge to the people turning them in. They'll catch them, fix them, and then release them back to their area in hopes of cutting down on the population over time.. I believe they concentrate their efforts on the males. It's too bad that it had become such a problem that something had to be done.?
Having adopted a mostly feral cat who spent 3 or 4 days up in our floor rafters, but would come downstairs crying every night, weighs not more than 5 lbs, & to this day, you cannot pick her up & hold her longer than 20-30 seconds, she is amazingly affectionate, but she has to come to you. She favors, when you're asleep on your side, curling up on your hip. I don't know why.