COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok guysā€¦.great day here AND I got out kayaking to boot. A bit chilly start at 50 but it warmed up nicely.

Sooooooooo, other than Red-Eared Sliders I have never seen any other turtle out kayaking. I look and look & look, nothing. This morning as i paddled along scoping the shoreline for ā€œthingsā€ā€¦.I see a big old turtle out. I paddle slowly, and glide up, camera in hand at the ready. Thenā€¦as i get within snap zone - turns out to be a log. šŸ˜¢

More paddling. More looking. Then I spotted another possible ā€œturtleā€, but Iā€™m less sure since Iā€™m far off & canā€™t quite see details. I again sneak up & WHAT?! is that really a turtle? Is it dead, laying eggs? Going to scoot off? I glide up & sure enough i come eye to eye with a pretty nice size snapping turtle. Iā€™m guessing a probable female getting out to lay eggs, or just laid eggs & was resting.

I took a few shots - check out the protuberances on the tail!

FFC4A446-034F-4749-BE72-DDA51DE02401.jpegE74ADFF1-9714-4A83-8198-C2D45E09500E.jpegFBE42B71-EBD6-47BA-A042-639EE3C40B98.jpeg593146FA-CCF9-4EAF-95C9-D8E7FFF38AEC.jpeg

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Ok guysā€¦.great day here AND I got out kayaking to boot. A bit chilly start at 50 but it warmed up nicely.

Sooooooooo, other than Red-Eared Sliders I have never seen any other turtle out kayaking. I look and look & look, nothing. This morning as i paddled along scoping the shoreline for ā€œthingsā€ā€¦.I see a big old turtle out. I paddle slowly, and glide up, camera in hand at the ready. Thenā€¦as i get within snap zone - turns out to be a log. šŸ˜¢

More paddling. More looking. Then I spotted another possible ā€œturtleā€, but Iā€™m less sure since Iā€™m far off & canā€™t quite see details. I again sneak up & WHAT?! is that really a turtle? Is it dead, laying eggs? Going to scoot off? I glide up & sure enough i come eye to eye with a pretty nice size snapping turtle. Iā€™m guessing a probable female getting out to lay eggs, or just laid eggs & was resting.

View attachment 343974View attachment 343975View attachment 343976View attachment 343977
Ya, kinda like this.....
1651260014402.png

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Friday night dinner served up for our Sully. No dressing.

Fresh Maryland Taraxacum officinale
FAB0A24C-7750-4D36-AB50-6C55DCB1740F.jpeg

Taraxacum - a genus of flowering plants in the family Asteraceae, which consists of species commonly known as dandelions. The scientific and hobby study of the genus is known as taraxacology. The genus is native to Eurasia and North America, but the two most commonplace species worldwide, T. officinale (the common dandelion) and T. erythrospermum (the red-seeded dandelion), were introduced into North America from Europe and now propagate as wildflowers.[4

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well...i was being lazy and didn't fill the bird feeder today. I figured there was plenty of food under it anyway and everywhere in the spring šŸ¤” for the little spoiled brats to clean up but no. While I didn't have my camera ready, a little sparrow (I think) walked along my front window sill! Peeking in every step of the way! I could have gotten a really cute picture of the little beggars face beak and all. It always surprises me how different and larger birds appear through window glass and so clear. I couldn't do anything but watch. Of course I had to fill the feeder šŸ˜Š

Jan A

Boulder, CO

View attachment 343974View attachment 343975View attachment 343976View attachment 343977
You have to be a determined, fearless male or you're really fast! Great photos!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Can one of our mods look at a thread called "I think my tortoise vomited"? The Tortoise has pink poop after eating a hard-boiled egg and Mazzuri.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Can one of our mods look at a thread called "I think my tortoise vomited"? The Tortoise has pink poop after eating a hard-boiled egg and Mazzuri.
I saw the post, and have one question, does ANY of the Mazuri Tortoise food come colored, (red/pink)?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I saw the post, and have one question, does ANY of the Mazuri Tortoise food come colored, (red/pink)?
I don't know. And I've never heard of feeding a Tortoise a hard-boiled egg either. But I don't know a dang thing about large torts so I don't feel qualified to even answer but the person didn't have anyone answer after many hours so...

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I don't know. And I've never heard of feeding a Tortoise a hard-boiled egg either. But I don't know a dang thing about large torts so I don't feel qualified to even answer but the person didn't have anyone answer after many hours so...
I think HB Egg is an unusual food for an omnivore, but it IS a protein source.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all - and its almost good morning again for UK again.
The whirlwind that is Tilly arrived last night!!
All my shoes have had to put away from sharp little teeth and anything within reach has been raised out of her way.
We have had 2 walks today and she loves her toys so no chance to sit and relax without a soggy rag toy being tossed in my lap or face.
She hasn't seen Lola yet but heard him moving about in his room today and didn't like that one bit. I have had to run shifts for them both to have some time in the garden so that there's no danger of them meeting.
I took her back to her own garden for a while because they have a huge place, and she could chase her toys and use up some of her energy.
In fairness considering she's a young pup, she hasn't been too bad. She slept in her cage overnight without any problems and when she is tired she just cuddles up and sleeps, although at the moment she has claimed the best spot on the sofa as her own.
I've only had her one day and feel exhausted already!!
I hope you're all enjoying the last day of April - a quarter of the way through the year already!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all - and its almost good morning again for UK again.
The whirlwind that is Tilly arrived last night!!
All my shoes have had to put away from sharp little teeth and anything within reach has been raised out of her way.
We have had 2 walks today and she loves her toys so no chance to sit and relax without a soggy rag toy being tossed in my lap or face.
She hasn't seen Lola yet but heard him moving about in his room today and didn't like that one bit. I have had to run shifts for them both to have some time in the garden so that there's no danger of them meeting.
I took her back to her own garden for a while because they have a huge place, and she could chase her toys and use up some of her energy.
In fairness considering she's a young pup, she hasn't been too bad. She slept in her cage overnight without any problems and when she is tired she just cuddles up and sleeps, although at the moment she has claimed the best spot on the sofa as her own.
I've only had her one day and feel exhausted already!!
I hope you're all enjoying the last day of April - a quarter of the way through the year already!!
Hahaha šŸ˜‚ she'll probably settle down once she's taken over your spot šŸ˜œ on the couch and lap šŸ¤£. Oh my garsh don't remind me that Christmas is so close... time goes too fast.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Great pictures!
It hasn't been a bad day here today but we won't get higher than 49F tomorrow and a lot of rain is on the way too - thank goodness - we've had very few April showers this year!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I didn't get hardly any blossoms on the crabapple tree this year. Yeah!!!!!! That poor tree needed a break from all those apples this year anyway. Having it trimmed up in the fall/winter was probably a good thing.šŸ¤— We'll see.