COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yucky day here. A short burst of sunlight in the morning that made me THINK of zipping off kayaking. Check the forecast…..a line of thunderstorms heading our way from the West. 😥. Bring on thecwater in rain is ok, not thunderstorms.

Light rain arrived earlier than predicted…I got out quickly to cut a bushel of grass for our Sully. Our new norm is a bushel of cut lawn grass & weeds a day keeps our Sully happy & fed.

Latest check of weather….yep, storms arriving soon.

EBC13487-37F0-4642-BA25-103F73EA9085.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I can't take beautiful photos, like Mark does, and we have not left winter behind yet, it froze while I was in california and I lost a lot, I don't have many blooms now...not much is coming up....but I laughed when I saw a theme that was not intentional...
this is Jessie's Song...100_2462.JPG
my Clematis...100_2464.JPG
my favorite...100_2469.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yucky day here. A short burst of sunlight in the morning that made me THINK of zipping off kayaking. Check the forecast…..a line of thunderstorms heading our way from the West. 😥. Bring on thecwater in rain is ok, not thunderstorms.

Light rain arrived earlier than predicted…I got out quickly to cut a bushel of grass for our Sully. Our new norm is a bushel of cut lawn grass & weeds a day keeps our Sully happy & fed.

View attachment 344787
do you use a mower or what? Mary will not eat grass cut by the mower, but will if cut with weed eater or scissors...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
do you use a mower or what? Mary will not eat grass cut by the mower, but will if cut with weed eater or scissors...

Yes, I do use a mower right into a bag. I cut about 10 rows a day then stop, dump into a bushel basket. Our Sully didn't eat this cut grass right away, I just sprinkled handfuls over other things at first. Now, i guess it’s like being in your car & a front-end loader drops a
bucketful of steamed crabs or french fries on you. What? Did i super size this?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 344787
Sorry. I must have sent all that your way 😉 I woke up to booming very early this morning. Lots of thunder with a nice rain though. I love the sound of thunder and was able to go back to sleep. It's been on the cooler side all day.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

View attachment 344787

I was a 3. 😭
Hope you survived Maro2bear!!!!!
I’ll be swimming to work tomorrow.🤕

The rain and flooded side streets!!!
Yowza !!!!!!
I needed your kayak!!!! 🙆‍♀️

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning all, it's bright and warm here but plenty of clouds about too. We have some heavy rain coming in tonight - but that's good!

Lola is enjoying have a free run between his room and the garden with without that pesky Tilly around. (I haven't told him yet but she's coming back for a day or two on the 25th while my sister's family go to Oxford for my niece's graduation ceremony 😊).

I had to complete a pre surgery assessment online yesterday, so hopefully my knee arthroscopy will happen quite soon. I really hope so - walking Tilly made me realise just how restricting my knee pain is, and I'm looking forward to being able to walk much longer distances.

I hope you all have a pleasant Saturday I'm just catching up with chores.
Hey Lyn. I’ll be thinking about you and praying for the best outcome with your surgery..

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello strangers. Sorry I have been away for quite a while. Life has been busy and TFO has had to be dropped for a while. Thank you @Gillian M for giving me a poke :)

We have now started baby bird season at the rescue so and it’s been keeping me busy. As has the wildlife in my garden with having to take a female hed from my garden to the rescue because she’s limping. She is currently on pregnancy watch there and could give birth any day!

I also took in a baby hedgehog found out in the daytime by an elderly friend who lives about 10 minutes drive from me.

My daughter has had a bad run. She slipped while out doing a dormouse survey and broke her ankle. They put a medical boot on it and told her she had to sit with her foot raised above her hip which made it impossible to work on a computer. She was just starting to get mobile with the boot when she caught covid despite being triple vaxxed… she had only been out to the pharmacy to collect a prescription. When the boot came off she still found it difficult to walk and the physiotherapist she saw said she had also torn 3 out 4 of the ankle ligaaments. She is feeling pretty down over the whole situation and atill suffer from exhaustion after the covid. I have been doing what I can to help her out while her mobility is impaired.

Meanwhile we have been absolutely fine. I am typing this from a hotel in Lerwick which is the main town in the Shetland Islands. The Shetlands are a small group a long way north of Scotland. They are at 60 degrees latitude… the same as Anchorage in Alaska and Bergen in Norway… but a little warmer thanks to the Jet Stream. We arrived yesterday and will spend our week birdwatching, walking and hoping to see Otters and Orcas.

View across the natural harbour toward Lerwick.
View attachment 344761
A puffin was the first bird we saw minutes after our plane landed.
View attachment 344765

Sorry this is a bit of a “Hi and Bye” as the internet isn’t great up here. Hope all os well with all you.

Linda x
So sorry to see this about your daughter but really good to read your updates.. y’all stay safe!!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Update - marchedes. My one year and 5 month old tortoise is starting to grow smother and bigger :) his weight is currently 376 grams. 376 grams is equivalent to 13.3 OZ. Update - new tortoises. (I still didnt name them yet) but they are doing great! At the weight of 50 grams. And The other one is 48 grams.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hey Lyn. I’ll be thinking about you and praying for the best outcome with your surgery..
Thanks Heather. I have a telephone anaesthetic assessment with a nurse practitioner on Thurs afternoon -not sure how that will work, I had to have bloods and an ECG before last arthroscopy. 🤔
Maybe this time it will be telephone surgery and they'll just talk me through how to do it myself!:D
Anyway it will be yet another step closer.
This op may be sooner than I think - better get a bagged packed!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon/evening all.
It was quite a warm day today at 69F, but we've been having a good downpour for the last couple of hours. More heavy rain on the way for tomorrow evening, I think our April showers have finally arrived, and by the weekend the temps will be back down to the mid 50s.
I've been cutting back an overgrown bay/laurel shrub today - it has grown larger than I wanted but it acts as a good screen. I think I'll have to thin it out though. I may try to grow some new shrubs in pots from the woody cuttings.
Lola has enjoyed basking in the patchy sunshine and has been very active and hungry today.
I hope you're all having a good Tuesday.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
It was quite a warm day today at 69F, but we've been having a good downpour for the last couple of hours. More heavy rain on the way for tomorrow evening, I think our April showers have finally arrived, and by the weekend the temps will be back down to the mid 50s.
I've been cutting back an overgrown bay/laurel shrub today - it has grown larger than I wanted but it acts as a good screen. I think I'll have to thin it out though. I may try to grow some new shrubs in pots from the woody cuttings.
Lola has enjoyed basking in the patchy sunshine and has been very active and hungry today.
Hope you enjoy your tue. As well! It has been very warm here for the last few weeks it reached 80 degrees F. Today and I got to go swimming in our new outdoor pool!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Every thing we've had going on is a month late too. We had March winds in April and April showers starting late April and now May... Sapphire gets antsy if I don't take him out every day cause I started getting him out early this year. His skin is looking nice and his eyelids look a pretty blueish though. So I'm getting him out every day I can. Tomorrow is mine and Sapphire's 15 year anniversary. And to boot it's my grandson's birthday and his little son will be born too. It's a triple whammy 🎉🐢🍼⚡🍻

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Good thing I went kayaking yesterday. Received a phone call from an approved arborist on the “ChipDrop” website that i registered with last week & it looks like I’m getting a “truck full” today.

How many yards full?…..we’ll see

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Sorry I didnt show y'all the pony sooner, but...better late then never right? So I rode her yesterday...BIG MISTAKE! She was way to small and frankly not ready to be ridden. She started jumping, rearing, and bucking all at the same time! And the girth was to loose so the entire saddle slid on her belly and I went flying! But i was not going to let her get away with that. (If y'all know horses you should know you cant let them get away with being bad. Then they will just keep doing it.) So I jumped back on her determined to survive. I gripped the saddle as hard as I could ready for anything. But she was and angel! She was walking perfectly....until.... I made her trot. Well now I know she needs a lot of work on trotting. Anyway... she did the same thing she did before...jumping, bucking, and rearing. I fell again but this time It was a bit more serious than the last time. I slashed my knee and bruised all along my thigh. HONEST! But I was DETERMINED not to let her get away with it! *sigh*... I was not about to get back on her so I lunged her for a while and she learned....until next time. 😑..... do y'all have any exciting storys?😂
20220518_220349.jpg
I also got all my tortoises outside...it was perfect weather. 85 degrees F. And I am super surprised. Marcedes grew around 30 grams in 14 days.🙂🎉🎊 (the babys ARE separated from Marcedes)20220518_163854.jpg I am thinking about naming the one below veera (vear-rah)20220518_163907.jpg