Cold in Florida

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Is that Martha in with her?
Yup, Martha is doing well. She actually laid two eggs this year. Not fertile but promising that she is recovering and healthy enough to produce eggs.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Latest weather report for south Florida--as of 7:00 AM Wednesday February 18. Freezing, or near freezing temps tonight and especially tomorrow night for Martin and Palm Beach Counties.
Plants and tortoises INSIDE!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Forecast here is 37 F tomorrow morning and they have dropped Fri morning's low temp to 28. It's gonna be a long wait for the weekend warm up to 84 on Sunday...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Latest weather report for south Florida--as of 7:00 AM Wednesday February 18. Freezing, or near freezing temps tonight and especially tomorrow night for Martin and Palm Beach Counties.

Portions of NY are -4 today, yikes!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL

Yes, I don't trust the CHE to handle temps that low. They will be inside for sure.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Yup, Martha is doing well. She actually laid two eggs this year. Not fertile but promising that she is recovering and healthy enough to produce eggs.

Glad she's doing well and out with the group. She's lucky to have made it to you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I feel for you wimps:p,I know your not used to those cold of temps:D. I do feel for your torts more, they aren't used to it either.:( Just remember, yours won't last as long as those of us in the cold North:mad:. You will make it through:D

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i can't believe it's freezing in florida in southern oregon we've had our warmest winter ever i swear

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I feel for you wimps:p,I know your not used to those cold of temps:D. I do feel for your torts more, they aren't used to it either.:( Just remember, yours won't last as long as those of us in the cold North:mad:. You will make it through:D

Thanks for the pep talk...

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Today & tomorrow will be our winter. Then back to the 80's (until it gets to the 90's). I'll be floating in the swimming pool with a fruity adult beverage before the end of March!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Today & tomorrow will be our winter. Then back to the 80's (until it gets to the 90's). I'll be floating in the swimming pool with a fruity adult beverage before the end of March!
Now that's,just down right mean:eek:. Hope you get a sun burn:p:D

Turtlepete

South Florida
The sucky thing with the cold in south Florida is the extremism of it. I've seen it go from 80 to 35 at night before. But forecast is a high of 57 tomorrow and a low of 36….Can't recall it being that cold down here in quite a long time.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Now that's,just down right mean:eek:. Hope you get a sun burn:p:D

Me too!! In all the right places!!! :D

The sucky thing with the cold in south Florida is the extremism of it. I've seen it go from 80 to 35 at night before. But forecast is a high of 57 tomorrow and a low of 36….Can't recall it being that cold down here in quite a long time.

It froze here two years ago but I am in the deep freezer of south FL (or the blast furnace during the summer). I have seen 26F here and the usual M.O. is to have mild winters for long enough for the tropical plants to flourish then freeze them solid (1 or 2 days in the 2nd/3rd week of Feb) so they can start all over again. I gave up after having planted 100+ tropical fruit and other trees. I've changed my focus to maples.

Thankfully, this time the forecast was lower than actual... Tomorrow will still be the temporary death knell to several of the 'lazarus' trees on the property.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Same here HLogic...our actual low was only 44 this morning and not the 37 we were expecting. Not that I'm complaining or anything.
Like you said, tomorrow will be the really cold morning.
As for the 'fruity adult beverage', forget that. Those are for the tourists. I'll be sitting on my front porch this evening with a nice bourbon while the tortoises and bonsai are all inside the house.
Personally, I love the winter cold spells we get as long as they don't get too crazy and kill everything in the yard.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
LOL, the 'fruit' of the fruity beverage is malt, single malt, preferably. I don't mind cool but when it drops below freezing the odor of vegetative death out here is overwhelming and the result is tons of work to rehab the plants that will come back eventually but require trimming, etc. in the interim - not to mention the effort needed to move things back and forth between outside & inside...

Turtlepete

South Florida
That's why I hate the cold. Carting 40+ reptiles into a heated building loses it's charm very fast. I am really looking forward to being able to tan in the sun poolside again. I'm a CBB Floridian…Haha :).