Common box turtle shell problem

KalieAlb21

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I live in Louisiana. This box turtle has been hanging around my sidewalk for a few days. It appeared 3 days ago, disappeared, then reappeared again today. It seemed well enough until I got a closer look at its shell and noticed a piece of its carapace missing on the left side. I picked it up to see the condition of its plastron. The plastron looks unwell to me. Can someone provide me any insight.
IMG_4504.jpegimage000000.jpegIMG_4482.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4482.jpeg
    IMG_4482.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Yvonne G @Maggie3fan or @DoubleD1996! Should be able to help. I'm not an expert however it looks like an animal chewed on it. It is a male because of the concaved bottom. Looks older too

KalieAlb21

Louisiana
Thank you for your response. I was thinking the same thing. If there’s any intervention needed, I’m willing to help the little fella out. I have a sulcata. I found her after hurricane Ida. When found she was in poor condition but is doing fantastic now. So I have a little experience in caring for a tortoise.
@Yvonne G @Maggie3fan or @DoubleD1996! Should be able to help. I'm not an expert however it looks like an animal chewed on it. It is a male because of the concaved bottom. Looks older too