Common box turtle shell problem

KalieAlb21

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I live in Louisiana. This box turtle has been hanging around my sidewalk for a few days. It appeared 3 days ago, disappeared, then reappeared again today. It seemed well enough until I got a closer look at its shell and noticed a piece of its carapace missing on the left side. I picked it up to see the condition of its plastron. The plastron looks unwell to me. Can someone provide me any insight.
IMG_4504.jpegimage000000.jpegIMG_4482.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4482.jpeg
    IMG_4482.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Yvonne G @Maggie3fan or @DoubleD1996! Should be able to help. I'm not an expert however it looks like an animal chewed on it. It is a male because of the concaved bottom. Looks older too

KalieAlb21

Louisiana
Thank you for your response. I was thinking the same thing. If there’s any intervention needed, I’m willing to help the little fella out. I have a sulcata. I found her after hurricane Ida. When found she was in poor condition but is doing fantastic now. So I have a little experience in caring for a tortoise.
@Yvonne G @Maggie3fan or @DoubleD1996! Should be able to help. I'm not an expert however it looks like an animal chewed on it. It is a male because of the concaved bottom. Looks older too

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I live in Louisiana. This box turtle has been hanging around my sidewalk for a few days. It appeared 3 days ago, disappeared, then reappeared again today. It seemed well enough until I got a closer look at its shell and noticed a piece of its carapace missing on the left side. I picked it up to see the condition of its plastron. The plastron looks unwell to me. Can someone provide me any insight.
View attachment 378663View attachment 378670View attachment 378671
Definitely looks like it was attacked by an animal, but these seem to be old wounds that have healed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's an old, healed chewed event.