Concerns with new Sulcata

wanderlust

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Utah
First, I know this tortoise needs a vet check and I will be scheduling an appointment Monday morning. I'm asking here to learn from others experience and so that those more knowledgable can share feedback on what they think I can improve on.

I bought a sulcata off our local classified site a couple weeks ago. I felt bad for it and its buddies as they were being kept in less than ideal conditions. In the ad they were wanting all 3 to go together which I'm sure would probably have lead to many more years of inadequate care since very few have the proper facilities to raise 3 adult sulcatas.

I'm concerned because while it seems to be defecating and expelling urates regularly, it often acts as if its straining. It pulls it's back legs and head in, makes a horrible noise, and its 3rd eyelid pops out while its pushing.

I've been soaking it in the tub at least every other day. It's now outside each day in an 8' x 4' area (this will be increased) where it has a burrow, gets to graze as much as it wants, and a water dish is always available. At night it comes inside to sleep in a substrate of organic topsoil and cypress mulch. I've spent many hours researching, reading through this website, and am trying my best to give it a healthy home. I used the Tortoise Table website to plant a large pollinator garden consisting of all tortoise friendly plants for him and my two Horsfields.

Prior to me buying it a couple weeks ago, it was kept in a very long aquarium with the two other sulcatas for at least a year. The person selling it for their friend said it was approximately 5 years old. If that's the case, its very small for its age. I measured it a couple of days ago and its 6.75" and only weighs 3 lbs. ?

I know that sex id comes with size and not necessarily age but I'm including some pictures just in case someone has a good guess. I chose this one out of the 3 because I thought the tail vent end of the plastron looked more feminine than the others and its tail was shorter in pictures. Once I got it home, I noticed that the plastron is not flat but I do not have a female to compare it to.

Attachments

• IMG_8562.jpg
    IMG_8562.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8196.jpg
    IMG_8196.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8414.jpg
    IMG_8414.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8415.jpg
    IMG_8415.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8417.jpg
    IMG_8417.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8418.jpg
    IMG_8418.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8564.jpg
    IMG_8564.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. I see several issues.

First, the tortoise does not need a vet check. Vets know nothing about tortoise care and usually charge you a bunch of money to do things that are at best unnecessary, and at worst harmful. Like "vitamin injections".

The tortoise is small because it was raised incorrectly. Start giving it correct care and it will eventually start to grow and get better.

If its straining to poo and passing urates, then it is likely dehydrated. Spending all day outside in your ultra dry climate isn't helping this. It should be soaked daily for an hour, and kept mostly indoor in a large closed chamber. When its bigger, better hydrated, and on the mend, then you can re-consider how much outside time you want to allow it.

The tail suggests female, but you really can't tell until they reach about 14". Age doesn't matter. It goes by size.

Tortoises should never be housed on soil. This is often repeated and has been passed down for generations but its bad advice. Soil is made from composted yard waste. There is no way to know what its made of and it could be toxic. Use fine grade orchid bark, or cypress mulch if you can't find orchid bark. Orchid bark is also know as fir bark, and can be found in bulk at local nurseries.

The way you worded it makes it sound like your sulcata is living with the two Russians? I hope this isn't the case. Species should never be mixed.

Also, your two Russians should not be living together either. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. And their care and diet is different than your sulcatas too.

Here is the care info for your sulcata. Follow this sheet, and your tortoise should survive and get better.

Questions and conversation are welcome! :)

wanderlust

Northern Utah
Thank you, Tom. I will make those adjustments to its care. It is pooping often - even multiple times before one of its straining sessions. It is not kept with the Russians and the Russians are in the process of being separated. I'm in the process of writing them up in the appropriate section of the forum. Thank you for your insight.

wanderlust

Northern Utah
I found the original pics of our little one. It's the big one in this aquarium of 3. This is how they lived for at least the past yr. I hope the other two found homes that are researching their care. ?

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8638.jpg

IMG_8637.jpg