Coping with loss...

kratos

Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu, HI
My first baby sulcata passed away this Sunday:(

I am completely devastated and there is a huge hole in my heart.

I only had him for 4 months and after reading this forum, I'm sure it was due to dehydration. Once he was showing the signs we did what we could, but it was too late. Carrot/Pedialyte soaks 3x daily. Took him to the vet and administered calcium injections, no luck. We purchased him from a pet store and I think he was dry to begin with. I should have soaked more often than 3x per week:( and I should have made sure his cage was kept humid. I figured being in Hawaii it was humid enough... I was wrong.

It's comforting to me to read this forum. I do plan on getting another sulcata soon from a reputable breeder when the time is right.

Attachments

• 20141213_084653.jpg
    20141213_084653.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tragic story. Sorry to hear it.
If you DO get another, get the largest that you have room for and in robust health.
The larger the sturdier.
This time you should know what your tort will need to remain healthy.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Sorry for your loss. Sometimes when they are started dry, nothing you do will save them. Don't blame yourself. Learn and try again. Welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry to have to welcome you to the Forum under these circumstances. It's never easy to lose one that was close to you.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Nature can be cruel sometimes, and in the wild the vast majority of baby torts never see adulthood. In captivity we expect to have much better odds as we can mitigate for the dangers they face in the wild, but it does not always work out. No that you kow so much more, if you decide to try again you will have much greater chance of success.

I would suggest if you do decide to have another tort, especially a baby, that you get one from a member breeder here on the forum with a proven track record of starting them right. Paying for the small amount to ship is well worth it, and those who do this all the time know how to ship them without danger.

Good fortune to you.
Michael.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Sorry that all the effort in the end was not enough. These guys can really become a part of your heart.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So sorry for your loss. It's never easy and I hope your heart heals soon.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tragic. I am so terribly sorry for your loss.
Welcome to the forum, there are many here who have been through what you're going through and as you can see from above, the people here are very caring.
They love tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry.:( Take some comfort in knowing s/he was loved before it's death and in a better place then a pet store. Also, that you tried to do better for him/her once you knew better. We think the pet store should know the proper care, unfortunatley we usually find out too late that they don't.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm sorry you lost your baby!! I definitely agree with getting one from a forum member. This will help to ensure a proper start to life.

Gennifer11

:( so sorry, he was a cutie. Everyone on here is super helpful. I hope your future tortoise endeavors are successful :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how long you have a baby it does not seem to make a difference when you loose one. I hope you find one that was started correctly. Hugs

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I'm so sorry for your loss. And thank you for being brave enough to share with us what happened. Maybe it will help someone else.