Could I have some help identifying a tortoise

Antonia1

Hi there, a tortoise has just come into my care and I would love some help in establishing his/her species and gender.

I also have some health concern about him/her in relation to his eye which looks to be closed over, moist (I'm not sure if discharge or just 'tears' or what) and as a red area below. He doesn't appear to be able to see out of it from what I can tell. If anyone could tell me how to help him/ what to do that would be amazing.

Below is a link to photos of him/her including one of the eye in question.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148346604@N02/shares/9L713n

I'm no expert in tortoises at all but I really want to do my best for this little one
Thank you!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Russian tortoise in need of some TLC. First thing you should do is give it a soak in some Luke warm water for about 30 minutes and then check out the caresheets on this site for Russians

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Antonia, and welcome to the Forum!

For sure it's a Russian (Testudo horsefieldii), and it may be male (from size of tail).

It almost looks like there is no eyeball in that socket. Buy some eye ointment to help sooth it and stop the weeping. You might even consider taking it to a vet for an evaluation.

This is what I'd use - you can buy it online or at a feed store:

eye ointment a.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi Antonia, and welcome to the Forum!

For sure it's a Russian (Testudo horsefieldii), and it may be male (from size of tail).

It almost looks like there is no eyeball in that socket. Buy some eye ointment to help sooth it and stop the weeping. You might even consider taking it to a vet for an evaluation.

This is what I'd use - you can buy it online or at a feed store:

View attachment 190274

I agree, I got some of this a few weeks ago for a turtle and it cleared her eye up in a few days.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
HI @Antonia1 and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your tort's eye. Give him soaks in warm water and 'd suggest taking him to a vet. Hope to hear he's better soon.

Please keep us updated.

I think your cute tort is a male.