Could my baby turtle drowned?

Rubyfryk

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
So I saw that you are supposed to provide plants for babies so they have somewhere to hide like in the wild. I saw them try to take a bite as soon as I put them in there, but then I think they realized they weren’t food and they haven’t tried since, I’m worried though that they might get tangled and drowned. I haven’t seen them struggling at all. Am I overthinking it or are these dangerous? IMG_4579.jpeg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I wouldn't use those plastic plants. I would use natural large edible leaves or watercress if anything, but they will need changing every couple of days.

Rubyfryk

South Carolina
I wouldn't use those plastic plants. I would use natural large edible leaves or watercress if anything, but they will need changing every couple of days.
Like large edible leaves like greens they would eat like turnip greens or aquarium live plants? Like leave the greens they would eat in the tank for several days and then change them out or put live aquatic plants in the aquarium?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use plastic plant garland similar to what you have with all my baby turtles. What you have is great! Live plants make too much of a mess with turtles as they will eat and pick at them and leave lots of little dead pieces of plant in the water. They find out right away the plastic plant is not edible. The security of hiding in them is perfect for a young turtle.

No worry about getting stuck or drowning.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I use plastic plant garland similar to what you have with all my baby turtles. What you have is great! Live plants make too much of a mess with turtles as they will eat and pick at them and leave lots of little dead pieces of plant in the water. They find out right away the plastic plant is not edible. The security of hiding in them is perfect for a young turtle.

I concede to greater knowledge! 😀

Rubyfryk

South Carolina

Thank you!