Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The tortoise taking the sun on the left is Phae. She hatched in '85. I haven't weighed her in over a year, but last year she weighed 50lbs. The tortoise on the right is WC Medea. She's full grown and weighs about 65lbs.

03-22-13b_zps97240e49.jpg

This year I have plenty of leaves and garden trash in their habitat, so I'm hoping for good nest-building activity and fingers crossed for eggs!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They look great Yvonne. Fingers crossed for yah on the nest this year. Mine like pine needles mixed with moss, branches, hardwood leaves, and dirt. Big girls :D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I.Am.In.Love. They are so majestic. Love. I do love me the CDTs.

Eeeek. Wait. Hello, I am a knuckhead. Those are magnificent NOT CDTs. I was so excited about the picture I did not READ. Love them still. Beauties!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look great. They are loving the sun. Didn't know you had pancakes too, you know,your not suppose to mix species:p :D Sorry, just had to do it :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Very nice YIvonne. Sometimes, like when I see pictures like this, I wish I lived in a warmer climate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
wellington said:
They look great. They are loving the sun. Didn't know you had pancakes too, you know,your not suppose to mix species:p :D Sorry, just had to do it :)

I thought sure someone would mention those "pancakes," and was surprised that no one did. Yup, I have several of them! :p

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice ! I am looking to get in to keeping one or two of these emy. Would you be so kind and educate me please. I been on line getting info.But I would like to know what works for you and to pick your brain a little. I don't. Care to beed them so two females or one male what is the best way of keeping them.In Houston it gets hot but the winters are not bad so they would be the perfect tortoise as long as you keep them cool in summer for around here.And they do eat much like a red footed tortoise or am I wrong any info. would be awesome my email is [email protected] thanks.your torts are awsome !

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
AWESOME! ...... Gosh I miss them Biggin's ! ;)

qgm

5 Year Member
Very beautiful!,I want to see more pictures.haha.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a species of tortoise that you can't allow to overheat. I was hauling a few tortoises to an event at a public library across town one spring. The tortoises, including desert tortoise, russian, box turtles and a juvenile Manouria, were inside cardboard boxes in the back of my pick up. The outside temp was 80F degrees. When I got to the library the Manouria was foaming from his mouth (overheated). I quickly got him under the hose and cooled him off, however, he died.

They also seem to do ok in a cooler winter environment.

Yes, you can feed them like you do a redfooted tortoise...fruits, veggies and a little animal protein. They like to sit in the water, sometimes spending all night in their pond.

I don't know about other people's Manouria, but mine require annual beak filing. Last year I posted pictures of my tortoise partner using a Dremmel on Medea's beak (the tortoise on the right in the picture) and as you can see in this current picture, she needs it done again. These tortoises graze on the weeds and grasses in their pen, but I offer them food too. But the beaks just don't seem to wear down like my other species of tortoise beaks do.

This is a very intelligent species of tortoise and they become very people-oriented.

If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to help you (that is, if I know the answers), but if you post your questions on the Forum, we have a couple folks who are pretty knowledgeable right here on the forum, and we'll all be glad to give you assistance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can only speak to my personal group. I have one large male Mep and two young males that are about half his size in a group of 3.2. I have NEVER seen any fighting among the males. They have a very large outdoor pen, but they all share the same shed at night, and even in the shed there is no fighting.

I wish I could say the same thing for the females. Medea, the tortoise on the right in the picture, is very aggressive towards the other tortoises at times. When I hear thumping and bumping and go to check on them, it is usually Medea pushing around one of the males, and quite often the big male. A couple years ago I came home to find my beautiful Vic Morgan female on her back, dead. She weighed 45lbs at that time, and was out in the middle of the pen. I can only assume that Medea turned her over.

I have a group of 3.3 Mee and I've NEVER seen any fighting in this group.

Overall, they get along pretty darned good in groups.

As far as pairs go, I have a 4 yr old Mep in with a 2 year old in a tort table and they get along ok. They share food and water and hiding place with no apparent trouble.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Just to add, I have 3 younger ones yand no fighting at all, they are very fun to keep,

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yvonne, your torts always look like they've been raised in the wild. It's such a natural environment that you provide, they just look so fabulous, simply fabulous, my dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.