Curtis has gone missing

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Yes. How's things going? and with your little monkey named Curtis?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Me too, I want to know how he got through 5 days of rainy, cold, sometimes below freezing weather only to waltz up to my front door like nothing happened, lol
The weather is probably when Curtis decided to beat feet home on the first sunny day...?

Salisbury
Curtis, my 12 inch Sulcata, has been missing for at least 24 hours. I last saw him on Sunday, when I came out and gave him some Mazuri, and noticed he was missing yesterday. I’ve looked for him all of last night and today (stayed home from school to look), and have not seen any sign of him.

He was given an entire yard to himself about 3 weeks ago, and I thought for sure the yard was secure enough. However, he is nowhere to be found inside the enclosure, and I cannot find him anywhere else on our heavily wooded property.

I’ve checked Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, Letgo, and offerup for any possible thieves, but have seen nothing for listings under “Tortoise”, “turtle”, and “Sulcata”, as well as general listings around my location.

I’ve also gotten the “nextdoor” app, and made a post there. I am about to print missing posters, and put them up around the block.

Does anyone have tips for finding him? It’s very cold out and going to go one degree below freezing tomorrow night, and it’s going to start raining in an hour or two until tomorrow evening. Will he survive this?

I am also very worried about him finding the creek on our property, and the busy road right in front of our house. We don’t have any close neighbors besides the neighborhood across that road.

It is not going to be above 60 degrees until the weekend.
I have been in that same situation many times, it is really scary, I know how it feels. Put some of his favourite food out, and sometimes they can just make there way home by themselves. I last lost my tortoise a year ago. It was really especially scary as we had just moved house, and only our closest neighbours new about my tortoise (he has a track record of escaping) I didn’t see him for almost 3 days. Turns out he had been residing in my neibours garden, having a wonderful time munching on there hibiscus border!
I really hope you find him. Best if luck

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
@TechnoCheese how's Curtis doing? :)
Whoops, sorry I never gave updates, lol. Curtis is doing just about the best he could be, with a brand new tracker, camera, and fence in the process of being reinforced! I believe I found the hole that he escaped from, so I blocked it with a cinder block and he hasn’t escaped since.
F9E1F1AE-8FB0-4056-AF69-59E8D756DF06.jpeg8335070F-4F56-4557-B3EA-13133CE42CE9.jpeg5A0D6CF1-1307-420C-B3BD-3850279C2271.jpegCDBE2C58-AA54-4E9E-AABB-338357172620.jpeg

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina

silverbird

Orange County, California
Sorry to hear about him disappearing. You have been given plenty of good suggestions here on the Forum. Once the rain lets up, I would again do a though search and look under everything and see if you can get some other people to help you; two eyes are better than one. Best of luck in finding him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl