Cuttle bone / ZooMed Tort Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich

5 Year Member
Anyone have any luck getting their leopard tort to actually use these? Ive had the same cuttle bone in her encosure since last summer and I put in a ZooMed Tort Block a few months ago but she has absolutely no interest in either. I even broke the tort block in half thinking maybe it would help her chomp the little cactus bits inside but she could care less. I feed her on a large piece of slate so hopefully that will at least wear her beak down the proper amount.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard uses the cuttle but didn't do much on the block. However, I give half a cuttle and switch it out once he has chewed on it and it gets a little dirty. He then seems to show more interest, until it gets dirty again.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
All my tortoises like to munch of cuttlebones - even the babies!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
My leopards and sulcatas wont touch them. My reds/yellow foots,mountains, and forest dwellers will eat the whole thing in one sitting.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
My leopard loves the cuttlebone as long as its broken into small pieces but won't touch that block

Duff

5 Year Member
My 5-6 month old leopard treated the block like an obstacle in his enclosure and just walked around it with no interest at all. Once in a while he nips at the cuttle bone, but when he's outside he investigates anything white or calcium like, even cement. I think they instinctively know what they need so I removed the block and left the cuttlebone.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
I've never tried the blocks either, but just the other day I caught Morgan munching on his cuttlebone. I also find claw marks from when they walk on it, but most of the time they walk around it.

I think my little ones are almost 6 months old now. Their previous caretakers have four females and a male and simply bring any babies inside if they find them, so I don't know when they were born, my best guess is the last day of September. I was told they were about two weeks old.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Yep, I threw one of those in each of my torts' pens several months ago and they're all still there. None have been touched.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
LeopardTortLover said:
I caught mine trying to eat a white rock today, so I threw a cuttle bone in but she smelt it and walked away.

Hahahaha gotta love our torts lol

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Mine just walk right over it. I thought maybe I just purchased a bad one? I'm glad I am not the only one...

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I got a "chalk" stone with my tortoise from the breeder, and I have seen him eat that, but not touched his cuttle bone. I just scrape it onto the leaves I give him.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Me, too. Wouldn't touch. It became decor. If your tortoise won't used the block, here's a tip of what I did, so it isn't a waste: I got a pedicure foot rasp aka foot file aka callus grater thingee ... the kind that looks like a cheese grater ... easily found in the beauty sections at the dollar stores. Cheap. A buck. Scrape above their wet food, it sprinkles on, repeat until the block is all gone. Memo to self: Keep it simple and get cuttle bone next time! : )

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
My box turtles love them, my female will eat almost half of one before laying eggs, my tortoises nibble on it but not as often

Mich

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Mine won't touch either.

Ive had the block in there for awhile now, since I posted this thread, and she won't touch it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.