Cuttlebone How Do Torts Know

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
So I was watching my hatchlings chomp on a cuttlebone yesterday evening, when it occurred to me that I've never seen a post on how torts know to eat cuttlebones for calcium. I'm assuming they smell the calcium. Any thoughts/explanations??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They seem to know when it's needed. Mine will search for and eat stones and chunks of coral in the yard if not given one. However, most of the time they will ignore the cuttlebones completely.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
I kinda figured they can tell when they need the mineral. I'm just curious as to how they know what contains it and what doesn't.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
i think our tort is an exception, i think he might like it?! had dusted food with cuttle a few days ago... he ate some food, less than hlf that was there, then went over and started munching on the cuttle bone.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Sheldon ignores his, like it's invisible ! It's been 3 weeks &
I haven't seen him touch it. ~~~

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I probably will put it back in there anyway. If she doesn't touch it it's not like I'm out a bunch of money.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Don't feel bad, mine didn't touch it for year and a half. Then I gave up and just took it out of the enclosure now I just scrape it on the food.
Well at least you scrap it, so they are getting the benefits from it.
I will probably end up doing that also.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Sheldon discovered the cuttle bone today ! I heard a scratching noise, looked around & saw him eating it. I felt like a proud parent and tried to take video even ! LOL ! That is a big milestone for
my little guy ! His little tort intincts are kicking in !

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
My tortoise seems to almost go out of his way to step on his cuttlebone, and he never eats it.:confused:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just did a quick check on our Sully and I could hear him biting, snapping, breaking and attacking his cuttlebone. It does make u wonder how they know, but they do.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I think they can smell it. Just open a bag of them and they definitely have a salty, fishy smell. All my tortoises love them - I have to buy them in 25 pound bags from the bird farm! :)