Cypress Mulch Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
I am about to place an order for some Cypress Mulch to use as substrate for the enclosure of my 7 month old Sulcata.For your information,I intend to use the Cypress Mulch pure without mixing anything with it.Anyway,for those of you out there who are presently using Cypress Mulch or have used it in the past,would you know if it attracts bugs,mites,or any insects that might cause harm to a 7 month old Sulcata?How much water should I pour on it to get the right moisture?Also,won't there be any danger of my sulcata eating a few Cypress Mulch that it might cause an impaction?By the way,since I live here in the Philippines and with the high cost of shipping charges,the Cypress Mulch that I ordered from the U.S. might not be deep enough to reach 3 inches in depth in the enclosue.What if the Cypress Mulch that I ordered is only able to reach 1 1/2 to 2 inches in depth,shall that be enoug to produce enough humidity for my Sulcata?Any advice or suggestions on this.And lastly,how does Cypress Mulch compare to Coco Coir as a substrate for tortoises?
Thanks.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I'm sure someone with more experience than me will answer your question. I'm thinking about switching too. I use coco coir and top soil, and yes it's really messy. But it does hold the moisture in very well.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Cypress mulch is the substrate recommended for NOT attracting bugs, they don't seem to like it as much, so you should worry less about bugs with cypress mulch than with another substrate. However, I do mix my cypress mulch with coco coir, but a lot of people use it strait.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In the US, damp cypress occasionally hosts both springtails/snow fleas (tiny, gray, fast bugs that hop) and fungus gnats (tiny bugs like skeeters). Neither is a problem for you or the tortoise.

Right amount of water I would suggest depends a lot on the ambient humidity of the area. The drier it is, the more you'll need to accomplish your goal. A humidity gauge will help a lot. I would also think that the Phillipines is humid enough that this would not be a big concern.

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
Hello i use cypress multch for my 1 year old sulcata and all i do is get a spray bottle and mist it every where. U dont have to worry about ur tortoise eating anything cuz its not stupid enough trust me i had these same questions when i first used it. And all u do need is to mist it and let the heat lamp kinda make it evaporate so it will be the perfect humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.