Daffodils?

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi guys, don't worry, I haven't fed my hermanns tortoise daffodils. My question is whether I can have a bunch of daffodils in the same room as my tortoise. Is the smell toxic or is it only when they eat them? I've had the daffodils in the room for a day or so and they smell strongly, so I thought I would just check. Thank you!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Tortoise Table says do not feed -Normally cultivated as a garden plant, but can often be seen growing wild in the UK countryside. All parts of the Daffodil/Narcissus are toxic, containing the alkaloid lycorine which causes vomiting, diarrohea and convulsions, and has the potential to damage the nervous system and paralyse the heart. I think as long as they have no access to them then enjoy the smell

AmyLisaGraves

Cleveland, OH
Tortoise Table says do not feed -Normally cultivated as a garden plant, but can often be seen growing wild in the UK countryside. All parts of the Daffodil/Narcissus are toxic, containing the alkaloid lycorine which causes vomiting, diarrohea and convulsions, and has the potential to damage the nervous system and paralyse the heart. I think as long as they have no access to them then enjoy the smell
Thank you so much. Had wilting daffodils on table was wondering if my Russian might be able to eat. So glad I checked here first!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you so much. Had wilting daffodils on table was wondering if my Russian might be able to eat. So glad I checked here first!

“Usually” ....anything that grows from a bulb isn't good to feed. There are always exceptions...but, when in doubt if it grows from a bulb always triple check. Since there are so so many other good things to feed, skipping is best.

AmyLisaGraves

Cleveland, OH
“Usually” ....anything that grows from a bulb isn't good to feed. There are always exceptions...but, when in doubt if it grows from a bulb always triple check. Since there are so so many other good things to feed, skipping is best.
Agree ... and her tastes vary over time ... like a hooman. Right now she is on a dandelion kick ... ignores the leaves but devours the yellow flowers!