Daily Routines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
As the weather and length of daylight changes Walkers daily routines change, He pretty much does the same things, Just at different times of the day.These 3 pics were taken on the 24th, 25th, and 26th of June between 9 and 10 am They look as though they were taken at the same time on the same day. Since the heat wave has been here he doesn't start moving around until about 1 to 4 pm, Then he acts like he has to eat in a hurry(typical teenager) Before he would sit in the sun for awhile to warm up then start wandering and grazing.Now there is no waiting to warm up, he spends most of the day in the tunnel to avoid the heat. But when he is out he is nonstop.Maybe when the temps get back to normal he will go back to the old routine.Has anybody else noticed a change in your tortoise's routine or habits with the weather changes? Len

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
No but I put mine out and bring them back in. Walker sure is cute and I like his name too.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
We've had weather in the three digits here in the last few days, and I've definitely noticed changes going on with Pio (4 yr. old Cherry). I haven't brought Solo (1 yr old Cherry Head) out at all this week. He usually comes out of his cave in the morning, eats, and then will sit in the pond for a while. As the sun moves, he seems to follow it. This last week, he came out in the morning, ate, walked through the pond, but didn't sit in it, and then sat under the big hosta near the stone wall for the rest of the day. I used my temp. gun, and in the sun it was 101, and under the hosta it was 92. I couldn't believe the difference in temperatures. She always finds slugs under there too.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have noticed changes. They are not feeding as voraciously on the lawn. Not grazing as often throughout the day. My giant Yellowfoot group is out later than usual in the day (nearing dusk) and go about their business for much of the night, retiring maybe an hour or two after dawn. I'll probably buy a sprinkler this week to get them feeding at maximum again since the greater food intake will translate to greater growth.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Lou didn't eat much today either. He had a good soak before bed time. I hope he eats tomorrow, maybe he didn't like what was on the menu today! It was 101F today.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Walker is a handsome one....in pic two he seems to have a furry growth on the left side of his head ?????? :p

My guys are hardly out....they sneak out WAY early in the am...then run for their burrows/huts then don't come out again till it is about dark...kinda missin their little butts and wiggle tails...they are not even coming out as much as usual when I put on the sprinkler ..

Len B

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
Walker is a handsome one....in pic two he seems to have a furry growth on the left side of his head ?????? :p

My guys are hardly out....they sneak out WAY early in the am...then run for their burrows/huts then don't come out again till it is about dark...kinda missin their little butts and wiggle tails...they are not even coming out as much as usual when I put on the sprinkler ..

That harry growth is one of the best tortoise protectors you could ask for, no unknown person or wild animal that she is not properly introduced to is coming in the yard. Her name is Margret, here she is posing this morning.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Today is our 24th day in a row of 100+ degree weather so Vegas spends almost all day in his burrow. He only comes out when he hears us doing something..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Len:

Those are the best pictures ever! How on earth were you able to get on the ground in front of Walker without him trying to run you over?

Len B

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
Hi Len:

Those are the best pictures ever! How on earth were you able to get on the ground in front of Walker without him trying to run you over?

He wasn't ready to start going, when he does start wandering there is no stopping him.Got to get these pics early. Another thing, my leaf blower broke so I have been sweeping the patio in back(using a kitchen broom),and Walker goes nuts when I start sweeping he is all over me and the broom, so much I have to stop, and as soon as I stop moving the broom he is like nothing ever happened,just ignores me and the not moving broom, but start sweeping and he starts again, it's funny. Try sweeping around a large sulcata and see what happens.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dalano73 said:
Today is our 24th day in a row of 100+ degree weather so Vegas spends almost all day in his burrow. He only comes out when he hears us doing something..

Praying for snow, yet? We are!

Got about 45 minutes of VERY light rain early this morning...my four sat out in it and wondered what it was all about...

Usually, mine get up at dawn and chow down until about 9:30, when the sun makes it over the wall of their home, then retire to The Cave until about 5pm, when the sun dips behind the house, at which point they sit in the large water dish for a couple of hours, then wait for me on the feeding rock for dinner.

They know they are of The Leisure Class... :p

BTW, gooid looking Rottie, Len!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Gorgeous Tort and Rotti :) We have been lucky in my area, it has been in the 90's, strange for summer in the desert :) We are in monsoon season and the rain cools down the air a lot. Boulders outdoor time has been sporatic due to the rains, but today is gorgeous and he has been out since 3pm, he will come in when the sun goes down around 730 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.