dandelion greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Went shopping today and went to the hoity toity store.... and found dandelion greens for 1.99!!

Woot Woot!!

greens.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I bought some dandelion greens at Whole Foods (my definition of hoity toity) and brought them home for Miss Pea Bean, but she refused to touch her food when the greens were mixed into her salad--can't risk her reputation as Queen of the Picky Eaters, I suppose...:rolleyes:

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
funny... i finally got all of my babies eating.. I wake up the youngest, no name, since he is the smallest, and let him get his fill.... Then i wake up bb to eat... then temperance....she is mrs piggy pig pig....

and this is all after 9 am... i think after your light has been on for a hour your rear can get up!

and those greens were the favorite..... if i could only get the mazuri going...

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
I wish there was an organic shop around here :(. The only organic stuff in this area are the mixes in the boxes. All of the greens/veggies sold separately like those dandelion one's you got there are always non-organic.

Probably about 10+ shops that sell produce, none have organic stuff.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I dont know organic or not.. i just do know it was in the organic section, but if its edible its ok with me...

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
terracolson said:
I dont know organic or not.. i just do know it was in the organic section, but if its edible its ok with me...

Is it really that OK? I've heard mixed opinions. If I wash the stuff good, is this enough for it to be OK for him to eat? Of course if I personally got things like dandelion, it wouldn't even be close to 100% of his meal for a day, more like 20-40% at the most.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Seiryu said:
terracolson said:

Is it really that OK? I've heard mixed opinions. If I wash the stuff good, is this enough for it to be OK for him to eat? Of course if I personally got things like dandelion, it wouldn't even be close to 100% of his meal for a day, more like 20-40% at the most.

Its there snack.. Mt leopards get fresh grass from my growing, in there enclsoure, with spring mix and dandelions, mazuri, prickly pear as well..

they get a very large variety

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Right, what I meant was, even if it's not organic. As long as it's washed well and not even close to 100% of their food for the day is it OK?

That's what I've heard mixed things on. Some people say to not use anything that isn't 100% organic while some say as long as it isn't a large part of their diet it isn't going to hurt.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Seiryu said:
Right, what I meant was, even if it's not organic. As long as it's washed well and not even close to 100% of their food for the day is it OK?

That's what I've heard mixed things on. Some people say to not use anything that isn't 100% organic while some say as long as it isn't a large part of their diet it isn't going to hurt.

When indoors in the fall and early winter before hibernation, my tortoises get nothing but grocery store greens. This also includes hatchlings and young tortoises that I don't hibernate and keep awake all winter. I've never bought organic foods and I don't make it a point to wash what I buy. If it's got a bunch of dirt on it, I rinse it off, other than that, it gets sprayed so much from the grocery store misters that it's usually so wet I have to shake the water off it. Some of the tortoises here have been eating this food for 20 years. None have died from it and no three eyed, 5 legged, 4 shelled hatchlings yet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
so no blinkies yet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't ever buy organic grown produce. However, I DO wash everything off before I put it in the fridge. I fill up a dish pan with cold water, then submerge the heads or bunches of greens and swish them around and around. Then I blot them dry, put them in plastic bags and refrigerate them.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Around here the grocery stores absolutely saturate their greens with water constantly to keep them green and fresh looking. I have to actually shake all the water off before I put it in the bags or it will begin to rot if I keep it for more than 3 or 4 days in plastic bags. I don't refrigerate them, just put them in my basement, just outside the door that goes up to the garage. It's a little bit like a root cellar right in that area and produce seems to keep longer there.

S

stells

It came out a couple of years ago when Danny posted his hoard of Dandelion greens on SW... that the ones actually sold in the shops over there are infact Chicory.... looks to me thats what that is in the piccie :D

Just thought i would share that useless piece of info...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Yeah Kelly it's called Chickory/Dandelions.. according to who states it.

THEY should be a staple green for any high water-content green eating tortoise.

Count your lucky stars Terra for finding them at the stores!!!

Keep in mind most tortoises have managed to endure the "help" of humans for a number of decades now.. and have survived O.K.(?) - so far anyway. And none of mine have come out looking like GB described either!!!

Feed those chickory/dandelions as much as possible.... they're good stuff.

Terry K

M

Maggie Cummings

Too bad y'all don't live in Oregon, I go for a walk (which I HATE!) and in about 15 minutes I have picked enough dandelions to feed Bob and my other tortoises for 4 or 5 days. For free! I would hate to have to pay for them. I also don't rinse my grocery store greens because the store sprays them so much. I put them all in large plastic bags with paper towels inside and put them outside on my deck. That's how I keep all my tortoise food...
I don't worry about buying organic...regular food that people eat is good enough for the tortoises. I think that paying for organic stuff is foolish and a waste of money...If people can eat it, so can tortoises and most people don't pay for organic...

S

stells

I do the whole weed walking thing too Maggie... i quite enjoy it though... when the kids are with me they suddenly say they don't know me lol

M

Maggie Cummings

stells said:
I do the whole weed walking thing too Maggie... i quite enjoy it though... when the kids are with me they suddenly say they don't know me lol

I am much too lazy to enjoy walking...:p

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I love walking, but living in the city, doesn't make for many weeds... Plus i dont mind paying the 2 dollars for about two weeks of food.... I store them in a tight container and the stems are over a foot long...

Status
Not open for further replies.