De "contaminating" a pen safely

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Xrays. Twice.
Bloodwork at least three times and for what I don't recall and fecal only once. Since I've owned her she only pooed once. She only ate a few nibbles in about two months time. No foreign bodies and no parasites, supposedly.
I'm leaning towards bacteria/virus and that is even more frightening.
I got two females together from a herd of 42. The other female is a perfectly healthy tortoise.
The sick one arrived weak.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Given the time frame in which her health declined, I would agree with @deadheadvet that she must have had some ailment. While tortoises do die (mainly adult tortoises) during acclimation simply because they never adjust, she died too quickly. A tortoise can persist for months and months on just a few bites to eat over the entire period, with minimal activity. Probably a virus of sorts mentioned above.

Now whether the knowledge of the why is worth the several hundred dollars at a vet is up to you. If the pen is not within several dozen yards of any other tortoises, and you properly de-contaminate everything, I don't see the risk in not pursuing the matter.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks. she's not actually dead. But not far from it.
I agree. She came to me ill. It might have been known and why she was for sale.( I hope that part isn't true.)
Once I get my herd together, there will be no more adding tortoises and no more sickness. Hopefully.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks. she's not actually dead. But not far from it.
I agree. She came to me ill. It might have been known and why she was for sale.( I hope that part isn't true.)
Once I get my herd together, there will be no more adding tortoises and no more sickness. Hopefully.
Extremely sorry to hear this sad story about your sick tort. Please try to relax, though I do know how easy words are. And hope to hear better news soon.