Debating if I should

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Left Coast :)
Get another leopard? Currently have 2 little ones in my 50gal viv and I'm debating if I should get another one? What you guys think? :) just can't resist these guys sometimes lol :p if not a leopard then maybe another kind? Although mixing species might not be good, anyone has any experiences with mixing species? If so which kinds go together (if) they can

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You got to look at the big picture. Do you have the space in your yard for three tortoises.They can't live in a 50 gallon tank for ever.But if you do then I say why not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should not mix species. One may be a carrier and give something to the other that would normally never be exposed, except for the fact you put two species together that would never cross paths otherwise. In my opinion, a 50 gallon is not big enough for three. I have one and he had two large totes joined together. Also, mine is two years old now and 7 inches. Not quite big enough to live outside in the cold 24/7 and your 50 gal. would be too small for one, let alone three. Soon, it will be too small for two. If you can offer a larger indoor enclosure, and will have large enough outdoor room when the time comes, then go for it.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
You got to look at the big picture. Do you have the space in your yard for three tortoises.They can't live in a 50 gallon tank for ever.But if you do then I say why not.

Yeah I got a big yard for them just don't have the enclosure setup just yet

wellington said:
You should not mix species. One may be a carrier and give something to the other that would normally never be exposed, except for the fact you put two species together that would never cross paths otherwise. In my opinion, a 50 gallon is not big enough for three. I have one and he had two large totes joined together. Also, mine is two years old now and 7 inches. Not quite big enough to live outside in the cold 24/7 and your 50 gal. would be too small for one, let alone three. Soon, it will be too small for two. If you can offer a larger indoor enclosure, and will have large enough outdoor room when the time comes, then go for it.

I see. Currently one of mines is about 3" and the other is about 4". About how old or size would you consider them to live outdoors 24/7? Except rainy days of course right?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Your asking the wrong group of people if you should get another tort:D.
If you want another get another, just be prepared as they get bigger they might fight or bully

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
pspryu101 said:
mike taylor said:

Yeah I got a big yard for them just don't have the enclosure setup just yet

wellington said:

I see. Currently one of mines is about 3" and the other is about 4". About how old or size would you consider them to live outdoors 24/7? Except rainy days of course right?

Once they are large enough to live outside 24/7 they can live outside rain or shine. They have to have a tortoise house to get out of the weather and if you live where it gets cold, you will have to heat that tortoise house. I believe Tom lets his stay out at around 8 inches or so. Depending on how much mine grows this summer, he may be staying outside next winter. Also, don't forget, if they are all males, you may have to separate them. I say, if you can provide properly, then go for it.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
It does come down to how much room you have. feeding and caring for another one is not really much more. In the future, you need to make sure your yard is really secure. Not sure where you live, but you won't be able to leave them outside in temps below 60 without a heated enclosure until they get bigger. I had mine outside 24/7 when they were 6 inches, but the weather was warm with lows above 70. I currently bring my adults inside the garage when it gets below 60 still, so building a garage enclosure is an option. I'm going to try and build a heated house for them by next winter to keep them outside.

I have three leopards and they get along fantastic. If you get another one, try to find one about the same size to help avoid some possible bullying.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Money is another factor to consider. One leo alone costs a bomb. Think about whether you can afford three ADULTS and have enough room for them.

Do you have room to separate them if bullying occurs?

pspryu101

5 Year Member
LeopardTortLover said:
Money is another factor to consider. One leo alone costs a bomb. Think about whether you can afford three ADULTS and have enough room for them.

Do you have room to separate them if bullying occurs?

Hmmm I might re consider. Just really hard to resist sometimes lol. The only place I can house them right now is my 50gal viv so I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.