Decorative rocks?

Scrounger

Going to be getting my first tortoise next month and saw something like these at the pet store: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WM33GBI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20. Thought a couple would look nice in the enclosure, but is there any danger it would try and swallow them? Is there a minimum size of rock to put in an enclosure? I would be getting a younger tort at a reptile show, probably a Mediterranean species.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I wouldn't put anything smaller than their head in there. Tortoises try to eat things that aren't food too frequently - especially man made coloured things. The glow-in-the-dark feature doesn't seem nice for animals to me either - nighttime should be dark.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I agree. If it can be swallowed, it's a fair bet it will be swallowed.
Tortoises need complete darkness in order to sleep properly and I would be worried about what is used to make these glow in the dark, even though it seems to be safe for fish.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Going to be getting my first tortoise next month and saw something like these at the pet store: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WM33GBI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20. Thought a couple would look nice in the enclosure, but is there any danger it would try and swallow them? Is there a minimum size of rock to put in an enclosure? I would be getting a younger tort at a reptile show, probably a Mediterranean species.

A very warm welcome to the forum! :D

I totally agree with @SarahChelonoidis and @Tidgy's Dad: torts could swallow anything small. So please take care.:)

Don't forget to post pics of the tort and the enclosure.;)

Last edited by a moderator: