Dehydrated dandelion greens

Happytort27

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I ordered some. The plan is to coat all fruit with it this winter when I can't get fresh dandelion greens. I have a redfoot, so she gets more fruit than a lot of species. Has anyone fed this? I got them here: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/Dandelionleaf
I’ve purchased from Tortoise Supply multiple times, and all of their seed mixes/dehydrated foods are great. Just note that some tortoises may not like the dried food, so I think it might be useful to start introducing it before winter.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
She will eat anything with banana. I figure if I have trouble getting her to eat it I can just cream it into a little banana with a fork and she will scarf it up. I use banana to get calcium powder down her.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
What about these dried hibiscus? Do you rehydrate those? https://kapidolofarms.com/product/hibiscus-cut-sifted/
I love Kapidolo Farms! I have so many things from them! They get a 100% from me and my 2 torts (redfoot and leopard) I mix it in with all their foods, so far just sprinkled in and mixed well ive had no issues getting them to eat any of it. And if they don't particularly like one, I mix it with their mazuri and they will scarf it down

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
and yes, you put them in a bit of water and they soften up. The water from it can be reused too! I soak my mazuri in the hibiscus water that way they don't loose any nutrients

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Super. She loves hibiscus but once her summer plant is done with blossoms for the year, that's it, because it won't survive inside! Would love to be able to add those.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Super. She loves hibiscus but once her summer plant is done with blossoms for the year, that's it, because it won't survive inside! Would love to be able to add those.
All of their stuff is a great addition to her diet! And at tortoise supply I buy their hay and mine love that too

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Well, the dried hibiscus is a huge hit with Beasley! She never eats greens as well as fruit, but the greens were apparently a lot better with rehydrated hibiscus on them. Score! There is still fresh hibiscus for now, so I will save the dried for when that's over, but I think it's going to be great. I mix the dried dandelion and plantain into her fruit--she will eat anything if it's on fruit.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
FYI, all food orders in September ship with two ounces of organic sourced opuntia flour. It's dried and ground for a flour like texture. Sprinkle on like calcium powder. Next month I anticipate offering Soursop leaf with every order - a natural food for redfoots and yellowfoots. This too will be organic sourced.

I've found redfoots to be pretty indiscriminate with food. For me pancake tortoises are the overall picky guys. So far they seem less inclined on days when I use alot of nettle, for the pancakes a little nettle goes a long way.

I've heard from some people that the whole chamomile and red clover blossoms were not well liked, until they were chopped up some into smaller pieces.

This kind of feedback lead me to seek the cactus flour. One person called in a 'fibery mess'. I didn't take that too hard as they offered to both Egyptians and Aldabras. Even a small aldabra is a giant next to an Egyptian. None-the-less I found the cactus flour and have an import stream worked out.

I hope to make a food from the cactus that is like flake fish food, that will be easiest to work with. Only so many hours in the day though, it might be a few years.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
FYI, all food orders in September ship with two ounces of organic sourced opuntia flour. It's dried and ground for a flour like texture. Sprinkle on like calcium powder. Next month I anticipate offering Soursop leaf with every order - a natural food for redfoots and yellowfoots. This too will be organic sourced.

I've found redfoots to be pretty indiscriminate with food. For me pancake tortoises are the overall picky guys. So far they seem less inclined on days when I use alot of nettle, for the pancakes a little nettle goes a long way.
I haven't tried the cactus flour yet, but it seems interesting. I will mix it with fruit, as she will scarf anything on fruit. She is definitely not indiscriminate. She loves hibiscus leaves, and likes dandelion greens OK, but isn't crazy about grocery store greens. My Whole Foods used to carry dandelion greens, but no more. I pick what I can from my yard, but the only way to have nice dandelion greens is not to mow your lawn LOL so . . . . 'tis a quandary. I specifically asked my yard guy not to cut one section last time and he didn't believe me and cut it anyway. Sigh. But if she will eat the greens with the dried hibiscus flowers on them, yay! ANYTHING red she is into. :)