Desperately need opinions about sex and behavior

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Poor things, they look most bemused!
I have now changed my vote to female.
Am prepared to bet a bottle of Grandpa Turtles Bud on it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Poor things, they look most bemused!
I have now changed my vote to female.
Am prepared to bet a bottle of Grandpa Turtles Bud on it.

See, I am still so baffled. I do so hope you are right though. I'm thinking she/he is still trying to figure it out itself:D. Maybe I have the first tortoise hermaphidite:confused:.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's aggression, pure and simple. You should figure out gender for the future. whatever it is, this bully jostling for dominance should not be part of your group. Even under supervision. It stresses all of them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's aggression, pure and simple. You should figure out gender for the future. whatever it is, this bully jostling for dominance should not be part of your group. Even under supervision. It stresses all of them.
You are not getting it. They are just fine! I know all about aggression. They are not stressed. They are very far from stressed.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay a couple more pics of just the one in question. My finger is at the end of her tail. I could get her to let me pull it out so you could see itimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I was just about to say that I changed my vote to female. I see in it the only one hahaha. So you have a bossy, aggressive girl. Interesting. Maybe she is maturing and isn't sure what to do with her hormonal surges?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
The gap between anal scutes and supracaudal is big compared to your male, and similar to your female.
Also, LMAO at the look on your males face!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was just about to say that I changed my vote to female. I see in it the only one hahaha. So you have a bossy, aggressive girl. Interesting. Maybe she is maturing and isn't sure what to do with her hormonal surges?
I was thinking maybe she was jealous cuz my male really showed little interest in her but loves the other female when they were all together LOL:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The gap between anal scutes and supracaudal is big compared to your male, and similar to your female.
Also, LMAO at the look on your males face!!
Oh, I see that now. I wasn't even looking at the gap. I am thrilled for her to be a her. We have been calling her Lillie/Billy until we got it figured out LOL
Yes, my Tatum wanted to make sure his handsome face was in the pic, the ham.:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I guess I should warn you that I suck at poker and recently lost some money in Vegas, so I could be wrong, but all signs point to female from what I see.

Female aggression happens and seems to be more common during egg laying season. Tyler was at my house a couple years ago. We were kneeling down looking at some younger tortoises I had and the dame of your female came up from behind and started ramming him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I guess I should warn you that I suck at poker and recently lost some money in Vegas, so I could be wrong, but all signs point to female from what I see.

Female aggression happens and seems to be more common during egg laying season. Tyler was at my house a couple years ago. We were kneeling down looking at some younger tortoises I had and the dame of your female came up from behind and started ramming him.
So, if I say it's definitely a male, you'll send me $5,000 ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

LOL. Well let's hope this time your on the money.

So, with the aggression already displayed, do you think they will ever be able to live together? they have a huge L shaped enclosure outside. The inside is getting a make over soon, because they are being house seperately now, so I'm needing to make each one a bigger space for winter. Otherwise they could share a huge U shaped inside enclosure, if they could ever live together again.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
LOL. Well let's hope this time your on the money.

So, with the aggression already displayed, do you think they will ever be able to live together? they have a huge L shaped enclosure outside. The inside is getting a make over soon, because they are being house seperately now, so I'm needing to make each one a bigger space for winter. Otherwise they could share a huge U shaped inside enclosure, if they could ever live together again.
Sorry, but for what it's worth, I'd say no.