Diet, or lack there of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

genfizzle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL
So i recently got my Sulcata from my mom and he is 6, but according to other posts very small for his age. He is about 9 lbs, and 9 1/2 inches. I'm the third person to be his owner. My mom used to feed him every other day alternating between a stalk of Romain Lettuce and pellets that expand when you put them in what and occasionally some grass when we put him in the yard. I know He used to eat raspberries and other fruits and veggies ( I think). And I've seen on sites the safe fruits and veggies he can have. Should i stick to the diet he's on now, or add in some other stuff?

Attachments

• 522304_10150855755849320_1915920301_n.jpg
    522304_10150855755849320_1915920301_n.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 45

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I suggest that you change his diet. Feed him more grasses and dark, leafy greens. Fruits are more for a treat than a regular diet. The pellets, as a supplement, may be okay, depending on what they are. Your tortoise should get plenty of exercise and sunshine to help with the digestive process.

There is a section of the forum dedicated to Diet and Food. You should be able to find suggestions that make sense for your situation. Glad to see that you have taken an interest in you tortoise's well being and have found this forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would mix up his diet more too. Mazuri tortoise food is a get food to feed. Soak in water first. Cactus pads, Hibiscus, dandelions, more edible weeds, plants, flowers and grass. Fruit is suppose to be a treat, more then part of a main diet. I have heard bananas should never be given, way to high in sugars I believe.

Check out thetortoisetable.org for more edible plants, weeds and flower ideas.

genfizzle

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
The food that we were given when my mother gave me hank was Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food. And we live on a huge lot, So we often put him in the grass and let him chomp around. At this point we only have a table and a hut for him. And the bottom of the table is covered in newspaper and a type of reptile felt. with of course a heating pad under it and then a heat lamp. And he goes outside everyday.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He is a cutie....that face made me smile when it popped up....personality for sure...

Hey, I would say to let this one go out and eat all that he possibly can and wants while grazine, he could afford to chunk a dunk up some...when you look at the legs up by the shell you want to see some chunk there---not a fatty--but some good meatiness there...and if you want to supplement him then the dark leafy greens are the way to go---also toss in some romaine, red and green leaf lettuce along with some "dare I say it", iceburg (for the water content)...since he has moved around a bit and especially since he is new to you, hydration is very important while he is transitioning....I would stay away from sweet fruits, but rather you could give him some squash and bell peppers to keep him "sweet tooth" happy during his transition over to more greens and grazing....just my thought on it...and again, your Mr. Personality there is beautiful....:D

genfizzle

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
He's a ham. lol I was reading that you shouldn't give them iceburg.

And we would, we live in a woody area and theres always stray animals wandering around. Racoons, falcons and such. So when he is outside he's on our deck. And if hes in the yard we have to stay out there because he's a speedy little sucker and we've almost lost him a few times.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
9 lbs, and 9 1/2 inches.

You could likely get some cinder blocks and plan for them to be stacked two high and use a wire panel as a top and he should be aok during the day hours....just be sure to secure the top....

iceburg lettuce has very little nutritional value, however, it has one hell of an amazing water content...which is why I say to offer it as part of what your tort is given as food offering (in addition to the grazing and other diet items)....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.