different strains in sulcata tortoise ?

Pia B

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi
I was reading and noticed some people referring to Suldan sulcata and other names . So my question is are there different strains within the Sulcata breed ? If so what are the differences . Thank you

Bambam1989

East Texas
It's mostly a reference to the area they are from I believe. There are some differences but not many. Sudan sulcatas tend to grow bigger than others.
@Tom and a few others can explain it much better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
I was reading and noticed some people referring to Suldan sulcata and other names . So my question is are there different strains within the Sulcata breed ? If so what are the differences . Thank you

Sulcatas occur across a large band across the entire continent of Africa. There is some regional variation in their size and appearance.

Most of the ones in this country were imported from Mali. Some were imported from Sudan. The Sudanese males get about twice the weight of the Mali ones, and have a much higher, more rounded dome. Mali tortoises tend to be lower domed and have a "slant" back. Most Mali sulcatas top out around 120 pounds, while Sudan males sometimes reach 250 or more. I've seen several Sudan males that were around 300 pounds and one giant that I would estimate around 400 pounds.

Many of the tortoises in circulation today are mixes of these two types and possibly others from other areas of the range too.

Pia B

Massachusetts
Sulcatas occur across a large band across the entire continent of Africa. There is some regional variation in their size and appearance.

Most of the ones in this country were imported from Mali. Some were imported from Sudan. The Sudanese males get about twice the weight of the Mali ones, and have a much higher, more rounded dome. Mali tortoises tend to be lower domed and have a "slant" back. Most Mali sulcatas top out around 120 pounds, while Sudan males sometimes reach 250 or more. I've seen several Sudan males that were around 300 pounds and one giant that I would estimate around 400 pounds.

Many of the tortoises in circulation today are mixes of these two types and possibly others from other areas of the range too.
Thank you for the explanation interesting ! I think my Speedbump strain is from Mali :) Wow 300 -400 pounds ! Did you Take a picture of him ?

Pia B

Massachusetts
WOW !!!! beautiful really like the chubby face and the legs on him omgosh . Thanks Tom really enjoyed seeing it.

Pia B

Massachusetts
BTW Tom your night box idea is working awesome with Speedbump he has never been happier in winter :) Hubby did build a 4x6 and Speedbump was out and about today getting some grass he even went out in the snow :) Happy Tortoise = happy keeper = ME :)